New Greek Restaurant

MYMA

Zorba's- Just saw it today..on Moon Muang Road before John's Place. It hasn't opened yet but looks nice. Anyone know anything about it? God, I hope it's good, because in my opinion the "other places" around here are the pits :o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zorba's- Just saw it today..on Moon Muang Road before John's Place. It hasn't opened yet but looks nice. Anyone know anything about it? God, I hope it's good, because in my opinion the "other places" around here are the pits :o

:D When it opens and you go....Let us know what it's like!

Was once a chef in a Greek restaurant. Been missing Greek food for a long time.

Wonder how they'll overcome the problem of the unavailability of good, reasonably-priced lamb. This is what stopped us from cooking Greek here.

Reminds me of what our very own Paul Gasgoine said when he was on tour in New Zealand after being told there was no bacon available for breakfast

" What yer mean with all the sheep you got in this country I canna get any Bacon" :o

> Gosh, great name for a Greek restaurant eh?

Yeah.. who would have thought of it! :o

For sure I will try it. So far the only place that got somewhat close and was good was of course Jerusalem in the same area. Not Greek per se, but general mediterranean. Still like the place.

Oh, also had falafel at the new little booth on Kotchasarn road just before DK Book Center. It sucked. :D Jerusalem does it looooads better.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Went to Zorba's today, but unfortunately they were not open yet ( I was looking for a late lunch). They start serving gyros at 3:30 p.m. and then a dinner menu at 6:00 p.m. I'll try again some time this week and let you know.

BTW, heard today that the gyro/felafel joint near DK is for sale now. Includes the building behind it for 4 million baht.

I went there when it first opened and it was "o.k." Then went back again to find out that they had become a big fan of the microwave. Felafel, pita, lettuce, tomato and yogurt sauce.... piping hot!!!! :o I tried to ask the girl not to nuke the pita and lettuce and tomato and especially the yogurt sauce, but to no avail. I knew then that their time was limited.

We ate at Zorbas today had 2 dishes both where quite good, yet a bit salty. tried the Gyros very tasty indeed, a good addition to the local scene.

The owner and wife that run the place are from greece and say they have been packed since opening, he said the have been running out of food evryday

we ate around 1pm and they only had 3 items available. saw many people turned down as no food available now.

There hours are unclear open at 1pm yet they have a breakfast menu.

Maybe the greeks are like the Thais -May pen rai

As many know now is the time to make it in Chiang Mai (High Season)

Open early close late and never run out of food!!!

oh well great location and a nice change for us!!!

Ps -still love Jerusalem cant beat their hummus and Falafel

But the place next to dk needs a lot of help in food dept

Happy Eating!

Haven't made it to Zorba's yet, but did try the Thai Kebab Place. The felafel was great!!!!!!! The place is clean and the service was excellent. Granted it's a no frills kind of place with a limited menu but the things that they do offer, I think are good quality for a good price. I'll be going back a lot now.

I personally don't like JF for a number of reasons, so I am excited about these 2 additions.

ThaiPauly, you are right , CM Mail never has a "bad review", what's that about????

Got a good reveiw in the CM Mail,

but then everybody seems to!!!

ThaiPauly, you are right , CM Mail never has a "bad review", what's that about????

The CM Mail reviews are part of the contract offered to advertisers. As such, they can not be anything but good. The reviewee normally sees copy before they go to press!

• 5 weeks later...

I went to Zorba the other week. I thought it was awful. Some of the food was so over-salted it was inedible. The service is awful, the waitress kept forgetting things that we ordered. I ordered an iced coffee and it never arrived until after my (lukewarm) food was finished. When it finally showed up they hadn't put any sugar in, when I finally got it back they had just put a few spoonfuls of sugar in and stirred (ever hear of sugar-water guys?). Sugar doesn't diffuse well in cold liquid! The egg-plant was disgusting. I will not be going back!

:o:D:D

Thanks for that review. Will not go there for the foreseeable future, especially not with great meditteranean food next door at Jerusalem. I also disliked that they had a 'hello girl' outside inviting passers-by to come inside. Whats that all about I wonder. (AAaa trink-ism alert) :o

Thanks for that review. Will not go there for the foreseeable future, especially not with great meditteranean food next door at Jerusalem. I also disliked that they had a 'hello girl' outside inviting passers-by to come inside. Whats that all about I wonder. (AAaa trink-ism alert) :o

Was she "fit"...it could make a difference you know. :D

You must remember the owners. They had a sandwich stall in Robinsons and were always trying to call over anyone who came within 20 metres of it! I think the place will do well, because of the season, but will totally struggle after Songkhran.

I forgot to mention, my wife ordered a Kebab and itr came to the table wrapped up to go!

• 1 year later...

Well, this place is quite out-of-business now. Sad, as I sometimes get quite a yen for Greek food. Whatever it's flaws, it scratched my itch, and the owner and his wife were terribly friendly whenever we visited.

Perhaps after 328 beers and a few bangs to the head with a durian I might be persuaded to try Greek , but as a sober individual I wouldnt consider it in a million years.

:o

You're obviously not from Melbourne are you..Mate, you don't know what your missing. Sensational if done right. :D

Perhaps after 328 beers and a few bangs to the head with a durian I might be persuaded to try Greek , but as a sober individual I wouldnt consider it in a million years.

You're obviously not from Melbourne are you..Mate, you don't know what your missing. Sensational if done right. :D

Fully agree. Can be excellent. So are there any other restaurants in CM that do Greek food? Haven't had souvlaki and mousakka for 10 years or something.

Fully agree. Can be excellent. So are there any other restaurants in CM that do Greek food? Haven't had souvlaki and mousakka for 10 years or something.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it... I miss Melbourne when I'm hungry. :D