Maestro

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for reminding me smile.png

A few years ago in the very English county of Oxfordshire I was advised to take down a St Georges Flag I had hung from my window for the same event.

God save the Queen !

Edited by chonabot

I believe it is local councils that have the authority to regulate the display of flags and some can be spoilsports. Let nobody be deterred by this from having an extra dose of fun today.

No permission is needed to fly the national flags and they are excluded from most planning and advertising regulations (but flagpoles may not be).

Source: http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=7.1.2

I believe it is local councils that have the authority to regulate the display of flags and some can be spoilsports. Let nobody be deterred by this from having an extra dose of fun today.

Wow, as an American my mind boggles at the idea of a government having the power to prevent the display of whatever flag you like, unless it's truly offensive "hate-speech" that would possibly incite violence like swastika, KKK, jihad. But the equivalent of a state flag?? Are there English that would like to secede from the UK, or are they afraid of a reaction by natives of the other components like Wales and Scotland?

IMO very bizarre. . .

Wow, as an American my mind boggles at the idea of a government having the power to prevent the display of whatever flag you like, unless it's truly offensive "hate-speech" that would possibly incite violence like swastika, KKK, jihad. But the equivalent of a state flag?? Are there English that would like to secede from the UK, or are they afraid of a reaction by natives of the other components like Wales and Scotland?

IMO very bizarre. . .

it's essentially the Loony left wing local governments - they are worried that the English flag ( which is also misused by the right wing National front ) will upset

non-English residents and incite nationalism by racists alike.

Political correctness I think they try to call it.

ps by Non-English they are referring to Muslims IMO

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 2

IMO very bizarre. . .

Nothing to do with the Scots or the Welsh.

We had the same issue outside our village pub in Cambridgeshire. Apparently, one St Georges day some young west asian muslims drove past in an old car and screamed abuse at the pub and the St Georges flag. They were real angry to see it in the UK. Alot of local counsils in the UK now advise against flying our national flag as it offends our "Ethnic community"

Quite a rare occasion to see our national flag in England now. How good ole' Blighty is changing...

I admire parts of it from afar, some of it has changed out of all recognition to what I remember. Times change and it was time for me to remember as it was and move to a new life in a new land.

Happy St George's Day to one and all.

Just a thought are we patriotic to celebrate this day or are we to far away?

PS No one tells me take down the White Ensign here.

• Like 2

We had the same issue outside our village pub in Cambridgeshire. Apparently, one St Georges day some young west asian muslims drove past in an old car and screamed abuse at the pub and the St Georges flag. They were real angry to see it in the UK. Alot of local counsils in the UK now advise against flying our national flag as it offends our "Ethnic community"

Quite a rare occasion to see our national flag in England now. How good ole' Blighty is changing...

Sounds like a horrible situation, a minority taking advantage of their host country's freedom to oppress the majority.

So are they also forbidden to fly flags that represent their pride in their background and beliefs?

The only justification I can see is if the traditional flag is commonly seen as a symbol of extreme right-wing (racist and fascist) ideology. Is that what this "national front" is, on par with neo-Nazis?

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

IMO very bizarre. . .

Had a contrary experience on my last trip to Donnington Park. Belting up the A5 (IIRC) on our 'bikes' we had agreed to pull over for brekkie at the first 'greasy spoon'.

We spotted a greasy spoon where the guy who turned out to be the owner was out putting up the St George flag prior to opening for the morning trade.

Owner was a wee Paki and breakfast was excellent btw.

• Like 1

IMO very bizarre. . .

Had a contrary experience on my last trip to Donnington Park. Belting up the A5 (IIRC) on our 'bikes' we had agreed to pull over for brekkie at the first 'greasy spoon'.

We spotted a greasy spoon where the guy who turned out to be the owner was out putting up the St George flag prior to opening for the morning trade.

Owner was a wee Paki and breakfast was excellent btw.

Sounds good , more than likely an Indian though :)

IMO very bizarre. . .

Isn't America the hub of political correctness?? I always thought these things come from USA to Europe. But maybe it is the other way round???

(we just change out street names and rename barracks to names of deserters in the name of political correctness....)

Isn't America the hub of political correctness?? I always thought these things come from USA to Europe. But maybe it is the other way round???

The right to free speech especially in political expression is pretty important to us, and only gets curtailed when such expression presents significant and "clear and present danger". As I mentioned hate speech expressly intended to foment violence against protected minorities could be regulated, but only within the above restriction, I believe not generally as for example in Germany.

Another area of UK law that Americans consider shocking is the fact that wealthy celebrities can suppress the truth from being revealed by the media in the interest of protecting their right to privacy.

There are still enough remnants of pride in our individual liberties for them to still be protected (mostly by the courts) where it doesn't interfere with the "war on terror" or the IP interests of the media in fighting piracy.

For example, it used to be illegal to burn the American flag, but not anymore.

The right to free speech especially in political expression is pretty important to us, and only gets curtailed when such expression presents significant and "clear and present danger". As I mentioned hate speech expressly intended to foment violence against protected minorities could be regulated, but only within the above restriction, I believe not generally as for example in Germany.

Another area of UK law that Americans consider shocking is the fact that wealthy celebrities can suppress the truth from being revealed by the media in the interest of protecting their right to privacy.

There are still enough remnants of pride in our individual liberties for them to still be protected (mostly by the courts) where it doesn't interfere with the "war on terror" or the IP interests of the media in fighting piracy.

For example, it used to be illegal to burn the American flag, but not anymore.

Just the Julian Assange case was in my mind......

Or many small cases of "racism", which aren't racism in my opinion.

But of course one problem is that one strange case which is complete out of the regular is hitting the news in Europe and than you keep "USA is strange" in your mind.

Because, of course, a newspaper prints the most unusual case. And the big letters don't say "senile judge in a 200 person town decides bs", it says something like "In America it is now not allowed to.....".

And over the years you get strange opinions....

Or from the other side:

In Austria we have pretty strange laws about the second worldwar. My wife and other Thais think that it is very strange and a crazy restriction to freedom of speech. While most Austrian think that is complete normal.

On the other side the same Thais don't think the restrictions about discussing the royal family are a restriction of freedom of speech.

Seems the opinion depends much on what you are used to.

• Like 1

A few years ago in the very English county of Oxfordshire I was advised to take down a St Georges Flag I had hung from my window for the same event.

God save the Queen !

You were probably tricked by a Scotsman masquerading as a council official.

Yes, happy St Georges Day.

It actually means little to me now that I reside in Thailand.

I do have fond memories of some very good celebrations back in the UK - but, I don't consider such celebrations to be part of my life anymore.

I do have fond memories of some very good celebrations back in the UK - but, I don't consider such celebrations to be part of my life anymore.

It seems you have been "Acculturated"

It seems you have been "Acculturated"

Oh My Buddha !

I sincerely hope not biggrin.png

• Like 1

God save the Queen !

You were probably tricked by a Scotsman masquerading as a council official.

Quite possibly...technically I am Scottish... may be it was my inner left hand side.... :)

IMO very bizarre. . .

I have visited the states many times and its always good to see the countries flag flown proudly as it is here in Thailand. but England God bless her, not its racist i am afraid as are pin badges. Apparantly may offend in the multi cultural society.

Thats why many of us are here and Happy St Georges day

IMO very bizarre. . .

it's essentially the Loony left wing local governments - they are worried that the English flag ( which is also misused by the right wing National front ) will upset

non-English residents and incite nationalism by racists alike.

Political correctness I think they try to call it.

ps by Non-English they are referring to Muslims IMO

Never a truer word written , 10 years ago in England in the Lancashire town of Oldham which has a large Muslim population the local labour Council sent 3 workmen to a little Cul de sac were a St George's day party was being held ,they explained they had been instructed to remove 3 large flags of St George without giving any reason , the workman was given very short shrift indeed and told to F off and to send the guy round who had given the order, needless to say they beat a hasty retreat and were not seen again.
  • Like 1