Rules About Customized Tags

To the best of my knowledge there are no rules. Both cars and bikes must display the government plates. A few years ago owners of European cars wanted their plates to look like those issued by the Eurozone countries and shops in BKK would make them up. The police cracked down on them. There are vanity plates sold for cars at very high prices by the LTD but I've never seen any for bikes.

This is a legal act. You can get those "standard plate" made with your own choice of combination if the combination is avalible in the given province. Could be: à¸à¸à¸ 999 à¸à¸£à¸¸à¸‡à¹€à¸—พมหานคร

I wondered what the procedure of making/ordering such customized tag, the price and such.

Thanks in advance,

Emil

When I bought my scooter I could have paid more for my own combination of numbers but didn't choose to do so.

Are we talking about the same thing? Government issued tags can be whatever isn't already issued but I believe the OP was talking about an independent shop manufacturing one. Sorry if I misunderstood.

i had thought all number plates are illegal if they dont have the embossed DLT stamp to verify they are genuine

could be wrong though ,but why bother embossing the real ones if any shop can make custom plates and they are legal ?

You cannot have a "customized license plate" on a bike, end of story - the provincial "illustrated" plates are strictly for cars only (4 door pick-ups are taxed as cars). There are threads on these plates in the Motor Forum, but essentially you can buy one either second-hand or from an auction (expect to pay 40,000 to 1,000,000 + baht) and then put it on the car of your choice, transferring it whenever you want; if you don't put it on a car for 3 years, you lose it.

You can ask your local DLT for a particular letter/number combination for a small fee (around 500 baht officially, as I recall), but if the number you choose is a popular one then it will probably go to whoever has been "nicest" to the DLT staff.

The only legal plates, car or bike, are those supplied by the DLT.

Think everything have gone off track here.

A license plate FROM THE DEALER (which mean that it's legal), with a fancy combination of numbers, Thai consonants and the province, and how to check if your wanted combination is avalible. (no colourful picture like the car province plates)

I'm just interested in the rules or requirements of getting one like that.

Hope I've made it clear now, sorry for me not being all clear :)

I was asked if I wanted to pay more for my own numbers and said no nothing else was asked finding out would probably require a trip to land office. No rules that I know of nor anything explained at dealer.

I was asked if I wanted to pay more for my own numbers and said no nothing else was asked finding out would probably require a trip to land office. No rules that I know of nor anything explained at dealer.

it not expensive to pick your own numbers ,we were allowed to do it on a new car in JJ when we gave them back the red plates ,they give us a huge list to choose from

hundreds of registations on it ,it might even have been free

You have to inquire at the DLT office that will issue your plate to see if the number you want is available.

If it is you pay less than 1000 baht and it's yours, but often you will have to wait a few weeks for them to make the plate.

Really popular numbers such as 9, 99 , 1, etc are usually offered at auction and can go for big money.

You have to inquire at the DLT office that will issue your plate to see if the number you want is available.

If it is you pay less than 1000 baht and it's yours, but often you will have to wait a few weeks for them to make the plate.

Really popular numbers such as 9, 99 , 1, etc are usually offered at auction and can go for big money.

Some DLTs do have fix prices for special numbers the more special the number the more the price. 99 for 3500 @ SamutPrakan DLT.

Some DLTs do have fix prices for special numbers the more special the number the more the price. 99 for 3500 @ SamutPrakan DLT.

'1' for 3500B too

The real money is in personalization of the numerals and alpha characters

Karlos, can you also get those made at the dealer, or? If so, what would an estimated price be?

Would like a tag with my own set of numbers and thai consonants, if that combination is avalible of course.

Dealers don't make plates, the Department of Land Transport does :)

That said, many dealers will apply for a special plate on your behalf if you ask them to. Varies from one dealer to the next.

Karlos, can you also get those made at the dealer, or? If so, what would an estimated price be?

Would like a tag with my own set of numbers and thai consonants, if that combination is avalible of course.

Dealers don't make plates, the Department of Land Transport does :)

That said, many dealers will apply for a special plate on your behalf if you ask them to. Varies from one dealer to the next.

I know that it's not the dealer making the plates.

Let me try to make my question clear once again: What is the price of such personal chosen combination of numbers and consonants? Not just a plate with e.g "1" but a whole personlized plate, with "my" combination avalible.

Dealers don't make plates, the Department of Land Transport does smile.png

I know that it's not the dealer making the plates.

Let me try to make my question clear once again: What is the price of such personal chosen combination of numbers and consonants? Not just a plate with e.g "1" but a whole personlized plate, with "my" combination avalible.

As mentioned previously, pricing varies from one office to the next and depending on what specific numbers / letters you want.

Thanks. One last question: Is it possible to get the plates made in a different province than the one your address in located in?

Then you have to go the DLT of the desired province. But some DLT may refuse as they will check your certificate of residence and will refer you to the DLT according to your residence.. but as awalys nothing is impossible if the sprockets are well greased :D

A few posts with attempts to post Thai script have been removed. If you are having problems, please open a new thread in the support desk forum, or in the computer forum.

Also, per forum rules, Thai script can only be used in the Thai language forum. wai.gif

A few posts with attempts to post Thai script have been removed. If you are having problems, please open a new thread in the support desk forum, or in the computer forum.

Also, per forum rules, Thai script can only be used in the Thai language forum. wai.gif

Sorry but that seems a bit odd, especially when you consider the topic that people are trying to use Thai script in. Hey rules are rules and it's nice to see people sticking to them in LOS :D

Sorry but that seems a bit odd, especially when you consider the topic that people are trying to use Thai script in. Hey rules are rules and it's nice to see people sticking to them in LOS biggrin.png

Actually, the OP is about HOW to get them, not a translation of what they say or should say. We're a bit strict on this as it would open the door to all sorts of foreign language posts. Which would be hard for our members and hard for us to moderate. Hope you understand.

• Like 1