If You Move To A Village...

fanciman

the locals girls might see you as a prospect...

And what on earth would farangs actually do in a thai village? Is there any way for a farang to earn a living up-country, other than e.g. teaching english? Electrician? Mechanic? I guess one could set up a little store, but that might annoy other store owning locals... Maybe an internet cafe? Are the people so poor that they couldn't even afford that? They must be incredibly poor up there.

And what on earth would farangs actually do in a thai village? Is there any way for a farang to earn a living up-country, other than e.g. teaching english? Electrician? Mechanic? I guess one could set up a little store, but that might annoy other store owning locals... Maybe an internet cafe? Are the people so poor that they couldn't even afford that? They must be incredibly poor up there.

Well I am semi retired so I don't do very much other than try to keep things running reasonably up here on my wifes fruit and veg farm. You would be amazed at the things that go missing (and mostly get found), broken and need to be repaired or replaced (but nobody knows who broke it).

I try to keep the water and electricty going and do general odd jobs around the place.

RC about 200km south of me has a dairy farm with a lot of milk cows.

I have another friend over in Issan north of Khon Kaen who has a pig farm.

My neighbour from Denmark has a small restaurant come karaoke place at the bottom of his garden close to the road.

Most of the other guys I meet up here have a place with their wives but don't live here full time.

There are 3 internet cafes in my village and a fair number of stores. Mechanics or electricians need a work permit as does everything else for farangs in Thailand and the salary would be around $5 a day. However if you could get the work you would be taking it from somebody who needs it much more than you do.

Teaching English. I have thought about it but I have no qualifications and I am not sure if they could keep me in tea, coke and cookis which is all the salary I would ask for anyway.

Other than that why would I want to do something. I am 61, married to a beautiful Thai lady 21 years younger than me and we have a 17 month old son. I have had 45 years of doing things that I had to do in order to earn a living.

Now if I don't do something today I can always do it tomorrow or another day.

Sometimes, for some people, Thailand is a wonderful place.

Signed, happy for yet another day in paradise.

:o:D:D

I live in a small village and have done for about 10 years. I have a reasonable pension but couldn't live here without it. I've always been a bit of a loner so its not so bad but there are times when I could use some company.This internet cafe' costs 20 baht per hour but its in the local town and there is more than one here.Teaching doesn't bring in much in the way of money and people are reluctant to pay Living in a reasonable sized town seems like it might be a better deal, also needs to be a reasonable distance from family, although mine is ok and are more help than bother.

Good luck Joe

you cant stay there long because its too boring . plenty of local nooky is always available , as they all want a farang hubby. jobs are not really available there isnt enough work for the locals . its all very subsistence living . when there is a fruit crop or rice to harvest its gets busy for casual work.

you could start a fruit canning business but then you have to deal with customs to get the produce out of the country ,not easy.

You can be a pisshead, maintenance man, gardener, cable tv watcher, internet explorer, animal raiser, type of guy, only if you don't live in your wifes 's village. Village must be fairly close to medium+ sized town. Best to find a wife who is an orphan. :o

If you are a single man and you have a pulse, you will be seen as a marriage prospect as soon as they hear that you are coming to town. Little or no work other than teaching Engrish. The vast majority are very poor. Better to live near a major city like Khon Kaen or Udon, but at least live near a provincial capital. For sure, rent. Do not buy your home for at least a year. You really won't know what it is like until you have been here for a while. You might go through a "honeymoon" period where you have a wonderful girlfriend and it seems like everyone in town is your friend, but DON'T BUY PROPERTY OR HOUSE yet. NO, NO, NO! Wait. Living here can be fun, and an adventure, but make sure you are able to return to whereever you came from. Most people say that it is boring unless you really enjoy farming, solitude, reading, surfing Thaivisa forum, things like that. You need to have enough money to frequently travel to a city where you can buy farang food and supplies.

Bryan

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

I don't know if you want or need this kind of advice but.....if you meet a girl and have sex with her even if you don't really know her very well it is not uncommon for her to go tell her family and friends that you are her boyfriend and then come to move in with you. If you tell her you don't want to be so serious about her and that she can't move in then you may have alienated half the village already. Its good to be a bit cautious about these things especially in a small village.

You can be a pisshead, maintenance man, gardener, cable tv watcher, internet explorer, animal raiser, type of guy, only if you don't live in your wifes 's village.  Village must be fairly close to medium+ sized town.

Don't forget you need a work permit!!

Best to find a wife who is an orphan

:o:D

I don't know if you want or need this kind of advice but.....if you meet a girl and have sex with her even if you don't really know her very well it is not uncommon for her to go tell her family and friends that you are her boyfriend and then come to move in with you.  If you tell her you don't want to be so serious about her and that she can't move in then you may have alienated half the village already.  Its good to be a bit cautious about these things especially in a small village.

In summary - don't shi*e where you eat. :o

......... Best to find a wife who is an orphan. :o

True, or, if not that, one with a small family. One or two siblings, few cousins, etc... the fewer family members the better. If she has 20 siblings, each one will expect you to support them. If there are only one or two, you might actually be to actually help them out or work with them without going broke.

Bryan

You would be a prospect for sure. But I would not reconmend moving in to a village as a single person as I think you would have many problems with out support or backing of a thai family. I could no see a single farang having any chance in our village but then you probably would not be single for long.

... If she has 20 siblings, each one will expect you to support them...

That one doesn't apply generally. Actually, I'd wish my wife had more than her three siblings. In this particular Thai family, the siblings are too proud to accept support from me. However, my wife and her siblings share a common responsibility - to support their parents. I support my wife in such a way that she can fulfill her part of the mutual responsibility of supporting the parents. Aunts, uncles (aunts, uncles offsprings) have to fend for themselves.Thus, the more siblings, my wife has, the smaller her (my) share would be.

Its the old 'Rahu Godman' syndrome.

Farang goes upcountry to isolated village.

Tries to pork a lot of comely virgins.

Porks one too many.

Gets pitchfork up rectum from angry Thai Father.

For sure the old shot gun weddings are still around in Isaan

If you get caught opening one of these young flowers you do get a few choices

#1 marry pay dowry

#2 pay dowry and run away

#3 run away

#4 Dont pay family want your hide and the police are brought in

This is how it was explained to me by my wife as she was worried about the young brother opening one and then us having to fit the bill for the dowry

Thank you very much for your interest and replys, everybody! This really is a great forum; so many helpful people.

I was feeling quite down lately and thought a change of scene would be good for me. During this holiday season i thought i would take a trip to issan to see what it was like. All the girls in bangkok seem to come from there.

I am not mad after virgins, actually. If anything, the opposite. I would be very happy with what, according to a brilliant summary of a TV member, Thais *don't* want. (Too much competition for me...i always lose :D ) According to the TV member Thais want:

Good family;

Rich;

Virgin

Beautiful

Something like that. I would be delighted with lo-so, poor, beautiful :o , darker skin... I don't want to chase after impossible dream girls that all the Thai guys are chasing after too.

Also, regarding the scene once in a village, wouldn't all the young Thai lads become incredibly morose and even resentful if some farang guy comes in from out of town and suddenly the village belle is all cuddly with him? That might be somewhat dangerous with a hormone charged lad hopping around... :D

And Khon Kaen wouldn't be just like a gigantic village?

... If she has 20 siblings, each one will expect you to support them...

That one doesn't apply generally. Actually, I'd wish my wife had more than her three siblings. In this particular Thai family, the siblings are too proud to accept support from me. However, my wife and her siblings share a common responsibility - to support their parents. I support my wife in such a way that she can fulfill her part of the mutual responsibility of supporting the parents. Aunts, uncles (aunts, uncles offsprings) have to fend for themselves.Thus, the more siblings, my wife has, the smaller her (my) share would be.

I was probably generalizing a bit. In our case, there are many siblings. None of them provide much support for the parents except us. Neither are they too proud to accept support from us. However, I am glad to hear that not all families are like that. Others on the forum also frequently share positive inlaw experiences.

Thanks, Bryan

Edited by Bryan in Isaan