Ford Opens New Plant In Thailand

Ford Opens New Plant in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- The industry minister expresses confidence that Thailand is an important automaking base in the world after Ford Motor spent over 14 billion baht on the construction of a new plant in Thailand.

US automaker Ford Motor inaugurated Ford Thailand Manufacturing, its new auto assembly plant in Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate in Rayong Province, with construction cost of 14 billion baht.

Ford Thailand Manufacturing has an initial production capacity of 150,000 vehicles per year, increasing the company’s annual capacity in Thailand to 445,000.

Vice President for Marketing of Ford Sales and Service Saroj Kiatfuangfu said Ford Thailand Manufacturing is Ford’s second plant in Thailand, making Ford one of the largest producers and exporters of vehicles in the country.

Industry Minister Pongsvas Svasti, who participated in the grand opening of the new plant, stated that Thailand is an important automaking base in the world and many automotive companies are still confident to invest in Thailand after last year's flooding.

Pongsvas expressed confidence that Thailand's car production capacity will rise to two million units this year and increase to 2.9 million units in 2014 and that will make Thailand the tenth largest automaker in the world.

Since 2007, Ford is Thailand’s largest automotive investor, having invested more than 46 billion baht to continually expand its local operations. Overall, Ford is the second largest automaker in the country, with combined investments totaling more than 77 billion baht.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-04

footer_n.gif

I wonder how the Japanese is liking their monopoly being gatecrashed?

ford has actually been in thailand in various forms a long time. Good cars, have one and so much better to drive than a corolla or accord.

I have a Ford Ranger, made by Mazda.

ford has actually been in thailand in various forms a long time. Good cars, have one and so much better to drive than a corolla or accord.

There seems to be some connection between Ford and Mazda?

When is the Land Rover (tata) starting to be built here? LAter this year or was that facility washed away?

Yes, would like to know that too.

I left a Defender 110 in Holland.

Still miss the beast.

Chip-tuned, lots of extra's, drove like a train......

The problem I find with Ford is they are just not keeping their resale value in Thailand. I bought a second hand (1 year old) Toyota Fortuna FOUR years ago for 970 K. I have just taken it in to a car sales room yesterday and I was offered 850K within 4 hours, cash! I simply am astounded! I would love a Ford SUV but where else can I get a motor that will only depreciate 120K baht in 4 years? Good luck to Ford, they planned this many years ago looking at the expenditure and must have been crapping themselves with the floods last year.

Edited by GentlemanJim

About $466 million and a near tripling of output.

Wonder what the vociferous critics of the government and PM have to say about that ?

I await the applause from the " frothers " and baseball fans...................

• Like 1

Wonder what the vociferous critics of the government and PM have to say about that ?

How long ago did they start planning and construction?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Thank you and perfectly on cue................

Unfortunately no VW factory in Thailand.

I'm driving a VW Polo on holiday right now and it's a lot better than the Nissan March I bought 2 weeks ago for my wife.

174% to 300% tax rate for importing cars is protectionism.

Thank you and perfectly on cue................

Right, so nothing to do with the current government.

Besides flooding, get ready for more traffic jam congestions and more green house carbon dioxide gases contributing to the Global warming issue.

Transportation eats away all your salary, as oil gets more expensive these days, but still people keep buying cars, and I can't blame them since in Bangkok public transportation services are a bad quality pain in the "behind"... So unless the Thai government improved public transportation system and instill encouragement into public transportation, nothing will change in the attitude of Bangkok people and rich kids...

For years all this suggestion mentioned above is just a wishful thinking for the screwed ones like us...

Obviously Ford doesn't know what it's doing

Or maybe they know what they are doing but used some different criterias for their choices, like focusing on the social life's of the after working time, you can't blame the management's choice under this aspect....biggrin.png

Ford, in Thailand and Asia, is Japanese. Paired up with Mazda. And Chevrolet (also Japanese) is already here with Isuzu.

I think you'll find that both Ford Motor company and General Motors are American.

Ford has an ownership share in Mazda, whilst Chevrolet and Isuzu are within the GM group.

Neither are Japanese, but Mazda & Isuzu are.

Despite the Thai perception of Jap motors, every time I've been in a Thai-made one, the quality hasn't been there, with many rattles and squeaks whilst driving. Ford's standards are higher, so likely just a matter of time for the perceptions to alter, in my opinion.

Obviously Ford doesn't know what it's doing, since many posters on AV have demonstrated that the country is in precipitous decline, unattractive to investment; and that Malaysia, Indonesia, Burma, and Vietnam are the new economic engines of the region, being far more stable with lower wages and better educational systems, and therefore more attractive.

FORGET Malaysia - see what their doing to LYNAS

speechless

FORGET Malaysia - see what their doing to LYNAS

speechless

Googled it, read about it. I don't understand the speechless part.

From what I gathered an Australian company needs to process material, and that processing center was built in Malaysia. Malaysia has given them a 12 year tax exemption. It is supposed to be operational next year.

Obviously Ford doesn't know what it's doing, since many posters on AV have demonstrated that the country is in precipitous decline, unattractive to investment; and that Malaysia, Indonesia, Burma, and Vietnam are the new economic engines of the region, being far more stable with lower wages and better educational systems, and therefore more attractive.

Or maybe you just don't know what you're talking about.

The problem is you can't build a factory in the middle of nowhere. Car factories are mostly assembly factories They need to have their suppliers nearby.

It always make me laugh when economists, academics or journalists say that this or that country is going to lose all its business overnight because of a flood or a currency fluctuation.

Like if it was so simple ...

• 2 weeks later...

Ford, in Thailand and Asia, is Japanese. Paired up with Mazda. And Chevrolet (also Japanese) is already here with Isuzu.

I think you'll find that both Ford Motor company and General Motors are American.

Ford has an ownership share in Mazda, whilst Chevrolet and Isuzu are within the GM group.

Despite the Thai perception of Jap motors, every time I've been in a Thai-made one, the quality hasn't been there, with many rattles and squeaks whilst driving. Ford's standards are higher, so likely just a matter of time for the perceptions to alter, in my opinion.

What I can tell you is that Ford and Chevrolet trucks and Chevrolet cars are nothing like the ones sold in America. Ford and Chevrolet cars and trucks sold in Thailand are of Japanese design. Chevrolet is Isuzu and Ford is Mazda.

• 4 weeks later...

What I can tell you is that Ford and Chevrolet trucks and Chevrolet cars are nothing like the ones sold in America. Ford and Chevrolet cars and trucks sold in Thailand are of Japanese design. Chevrolet is Isuzu and Ford is Mazda.

Ford's 3 vehicles currently in production in Thailand:

Ford Fiesta - developed in Ford Germany. Localised manufacture in Auto Alliance Thailand (a Ford & Mazda joint venture)

Ford Focus - developed in from Ford US. Manufactured in Ford's own new plant, nothing to do with Mazda.

Ford Ranger - developed in Ford Australia. Localised manufacture in Auto Alliance Thailand (a Ford & Mazda joint venture)

None are Japanese design, whatsoever. I was involved in the develoipment programs.

Mazda maske the Mazda 2 (uses the Ford Fiesta floorpan and many other carry-across components), and same for Mazda 3, carry across many Focis components.

Sorry, your statement is wildly incorrect. Ford hold a share in Mazda, Mazda DO NOT own any of Ford. Their partnership is also not likely to last very much longer, their shared manufacturing sites are going to split.

We have one of those aswell, didn't realise that Mazda made them.