G&M Sausage Restuarant

trainman34014

It's behind Big C Super Highway. No sign, no ambiance, "as-is". Ended up there one night by accident. Don't bother with it. It's German food aimed at the Thai palate (and all Thai clientele). Think - sausages with sweet Thai sauce, pork with chili sauce, potato salad with sugar and bits of meat in it. I'm part German, lived in Germany, and never had German food like that before!

<p>

It's behind Big C Super Highway. No sign, no ambiance, "as-is". Ended up there one night by accident. Don't bother with it. It's German food aimed at the Thai palate (and all Thai clientele). Think - sausages with sweet Thai sauce, pork with chili sauce, potato salad with sugar and bits of meat in it. I'm part German, lived in Germany, and never had German food like that before!

The place I am talking about is definitely called G&M German Restaurant. I didn't catch WTK's post before and don't know anything about that place. The place I am referring to has been there for about a year now but it is difficult to spot as there are no signs on the windows or door. Maybe there is a sign up at the top somewhere but I have not noticed it. A Friend went there recently and also found it to be very disappointing.

Try the one WTK found.

Because one is bad does not mean another is bad.

Some times when people get together it is just to be together not that munch for where they get together.

Like going to a movie with your wife you don't particularly want to see but she does and you enjoy her company so you go.

It sounds to me like you already have another place in mind. Mention it to them.

Edited by hellodolly

IMHO they are all the same G&M. The one behind Big C is in the CM business park. Another one in Kad Suan Kaew and the main branch where WinnieTheKhwai has the map. Personally I don't enjoy the food and if I want their sausages I will buy them at Rimpings.

If you like G&M sausages you don't have to go trough the complicated map to get there. Just visit the easier ones.

<p>

The place I am talking about is definitely called G&M German Restaurant. I didn't catch WTK's post before and don't know anything about that place. The place I am referring to has been there for about a year now but it is difficult to spot as there are no signs on the windows or door. Maybe there is a sign up at the top somewhere but I have not noticed it. A Friend went there recently and also found it to be very disappointing.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Just been invited to eat at this place and wondered if it's any good. If not I may try to convince the others that we should go elsewhere

As you have been invited to this place, wouldn't it be quite rude to try suggest another place just because you don't like the place?

I have known Gunther for close to 20 years. Thats Gunther, the G in G&M. While we use several of his products, namely Smoked Bacon, Pork Knuckle and the Nurnberger Sausage, we've never had a complaint from a customer. Now I will admit, the product as bought is not the same after an individual prepares it in their own manner and way, but I do say if you took the time to drive out to the original shop in Doi Saket [better be GPS directed] on a Sunday afternoon, you may find it hard pressed to convince any of the approx 300 happy munching patrons that the food is not so hot.

Now different locations would naturally have different cooks, so that may be one answer.

I can and do recommend trying the Doi Saket one . After a couple of beer Chang, Gunther is really a work of art, and a very funny guy.

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

Now different locations would naturally have different cooks, so that may be one answer.

I'm sure you are right about that. I am certain that the one behind Big C is specifically aimed at the Thai clientele. The food is prepared by young Thai girls who don't speak a word of English, let alone any German.

Edited by elektrified

I have known Gunther for close to 20 years. Thats Gunther, the G in G&M. While we use several of his products, namely Smoked Bacon, Pork Knuckle and the Nurnberger Sausage, we've never had a complaint from a customer. Now I will admit, the product as bought is not the same after an individual prepares it in their own manner and way, but I do say if you took the time to drive out to the original shop in Doi Saket [better be GPS directed] on a Sunday afternoon, you may find it hard pressed to convince any of the approx 300 happy munching patrons that the food is not so hot.

I can and do recommend trying the Doi Saket one . After a couple of beer Chang, Gunther is really a work of art, and a very funny guy.

Gonzo

Gonzo What is Gunther like before a couple of beers?

Gonzo

The opposite?

Gonzo

You know...... thats a very good question....... I don't think anyone has ever seen him before a couple beers.....

Just kidding....... Gunther is a [don't ever tell anyone I said this] very good hearted, warm and very generous person, with a great sense of humor........ and when you do get a couple beers into him [you don't have to work hard to do this] and he starts in with some of his stories.....he only gets funnier....

In all honesty, I really have to give him credit for what he has built out there...... he done did good.

Anyone who hasn't gone out to his place, get someone to show you how to get there and give yourself a real treat some Sunday afternoon.

Gonzo

• Like 1

Just been invited to eat at this place and wondered if it's any good. If not I may try to convince the others that we should go elsewhere

As you have been invited to this place, wouldn't it be quite rude to try suggest another place just because you don't like the place?

Nah; we've been good mates for years and he'd be ok but don't know about his new bird !

Nah; we've been good mates for years and he'd be ok but don't know about his new bird !

Just a thought. smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

Following up on my original invite we went off with our pals on Thursday at 11am to find the place. We arrived at 12.30 after being lost twice and asking locals etc. They could do with a lot more signage around the lanes and I made that point but it seems they are so well patronised that they are not too bothered. We expected it to be fairly quiet on a Thursday lunchtime but there were a lot of people there, both Thai and Farang..always a good sign..

Well; I now know why they are well patronised as the food was fab'. Mushroom Soup for some and Goulash Soup for the others very well prepared followed by two plates of Pork on the bone nicely baked, Huge plate of mixed German Sausages, two plates of Garlic Bread followed by proper Ice Cream Sundae's all washed down with four bottles of Chang. Bargain at 1,100 Baht.

Plenty of parking but little in the shade. However; Temple next door has some shaded parking and a very nice place to visit and photograph too.

For those who say there is no sign outside, well, you must have been pretty drunk not to notice the large Pig with the restaurant's name on it right outside the front windows. The ambiance inside is no better or worse than a good many other establishments around this fair City and it is Air Conditioned.

All in all, a pleasant experience and we will go back again now we have consulted our maps and plotted a much quicker way to arrive there.

I'm sure you are not talking about the place behind Big C since there is no temple there.

No; it's the one out in the sticks, it's actually in the locality of Doi Saket.

I have been to this location on several occasions, although it has been a while, and never disappointed with the food or service.

MSPain

• Like 2