Thailand Needs Cricket

With regards to concerns that my plan to introduce cricket to the Kingdom of Thailand is some form of Imperialism (implicitly suggesting I am guided by some sinister motivations), I would just like to make a declaration.

I have no personal commercial interest in the spread of cricket in Thailand (I don't own any shares in cricket equipment manufacturers or distributors, nor do I have a farm growing cucumbers for use in lunch-break sandwiches).

However, I am expecting my (soon to be born) son to be a world-class cricketer. As he is half-Thai, it is possible he will spend a large portion of his life here. Hence, popularity of cricket in Thailand is likely to benefit his cricketing development and career (and therefore his life).

Nonetheless, although I have my son's happiness (and by extension my own sense of fulfilment) in mind, this does not infer that the benefits of introducing cricket to the Thai people (and Thai society) are any less real or significant. Thailand needs cricket.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having broken the 1000 post barrier is anyone willing to make a prediction of how long it will take to get to 19000 and beat the apparently longest other thread. I know cricket is a slow game but will it take us several years like that one.

I think we probably already hold the record for the longest thread without post disapearances.

I suppose, for the benefit of our gentle readers who do not have the time to follow this thread every ball, every run, I should do a summary commentary on the Sports Page...

SC

TV Cricket - you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but don't pick the stitching

As long as there is some opening visuals to attract the readers attention.

You could open with this ............... but I think that Elly is a safe bet.

post-104736-0-95645700-1338109942.jpg .......... post-104736-0-84367200-1338109504_thumb.

Want to know more about

Fish Farms or a simple Australian Visa Application ?

Edited by David48

Actually there are two milestones to acknowledge here ... both this Thread AND the OP have reached their respective 1,000th post ... I bid you both a humble wai.gif and some hearty clap2.gif

Want to know more about

He's a clever man, our OP 2 X 1,000 in the same game and still batting...clap2.gif

Actually there are two milestones to acknowledge here ... both this Thread AND the OP have reached their respective 1,000th post ... I bid you both a humble wai.gif and some hearty clap2.gif

Want to know more about

He's a clever man, our OP 2 X 1,000 in the same game and still batting...clap2.gif

I agree

With regards to concerns that my plan to introduce cricket to the Kingdom of Thailand is some form of Imperialism (implicitly suggesting I am guided by some sinister motivations), I would just like to make a declaration.

I have no personal commercial interest in the spread of cricket in Thailand (I don't own any shares in cricket equipment manufacturers or distributors, nor do I have a farm growing cucumbers for use in lunch-break sandwiches).

However, I am expecting my (soon to be born) son to be a world-class cricketer. As he is half-Thai, it is possible he will spend a large portion of his life here. Hence, popularity of cricket in Thailand is likely to benefit his cricketing development and career (and therefore his life).

Nonetheless, although I have my son's happiness (and by extension my own sense of fulfilment) in mind, this does not infer that the benefits of introducing cricket to the Thai people (and Thai society) are any less real or significant. Thailand needs cricket.

Boss...after spending some time reading this reply and feeling the happiness, and by extention, your own sense of fulfilment, I would like to make one suggestion.......how about 10 brothers for you son, so that he can have his own cricket team.wink.png

Edited by kevjohn

Boss...after spending some time reading this reply and feeling the happiness, and by extention, your own sense of fulfilment, I would like to make one suggestion.......how about 10 brothers for you son, so that he can have his own cricket team.wink.png

And 12 daughters so we can have cheerleaders and a womens team

Boss...after spending some time reading this reply and feeling the happiness, and by extention, your own sense of fulfilment, I would

like to make one suggestion.......how about 10 brothers for you son, so that he can have his own cricket team.wink.png

Super plan; I will suggest it to the wife

Good point there, Harry....clap2.gif

I will try, but the wife is 26 already, so we will have to up the run-rate with some extravagant stroke play

Having broken the 1000 post barrier is anyone willing to make a prediction of how long it will take to get to 19000 and beat the apparently longest other thread. I know cricket is a slow game but will it take us several years like that one.

I think we probably already hold the record for the longest thread without post disapearances.

I suppose, for the benefit of our gentle readers who do not have the time to follow this thread every ball, every run, I should do a summary commentary on the Sports Page...

SC

TV Cricket - you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but don't pick the stitching

As long as there is some opening visuals to attract the readers attention.

You could open with this ............... but I think that Elly is a safe bet.

post-104736-0-95645700-1338109942.jpg .......... post-104736-0-84367200-1338109504_thumb.

Want to know more about

That is twice that shot has been used to great effect; I recommend you use it more often

I will try, but the wife is 26 already, so we will have to up the run-rate with some extravagant stroke play

Have you considered converting...then you can have 4 wives and reach the tar4get sooner.

Have you considered converting...then you can have 4 wives and reach the tar4get sooner.

Your game

England vs Australia

India vs Pakistan

Who will be Thailand's main cricketing rivals?

I'll put my head on the chopping block and suggest that the rival team will consist of expat....clap2.gif

But don't worry about losing a game as we can always say "Well, you have to let the home side win sometimes"...whistling.gif

England vs Australia

India vs Pakistan

Who will be Thailand's main cricketing rivals?

OMG! it has to be

Thailand vs Cambodia

Tonight I will dream about my son scoring a century for Thailand against Cambodia

I know the bus issue had been decided, fishy smells and all...however!

this is just in from TV itself.

http://www.thaivisa....-ice-cream-van/

Transport and refreshments in one!

This could make us less dependent on local infrastructure, and let us bring the joys of remote cricket to more remote parts of Thailand, such as, for example, the boondocks.

Obviously we'll still need the team bus, the pantechnicon, and the coach can drive himself...

SC

TV Cricket - No wicket too sticky!

Icecream van....could help to keep the drinks cool.

What tune should it play?

The national anthem would get us the most attention from people on the streets, although standing up for the entire journey might make things slightly awkward for the driver...

Icecream van....could help to keep the drinks cool.

What tune should it play?

I'm torn between 'Soul Limbo' or the Mission Impossible theme...

TV Cricket - The Team with the Runs

+1 for Soul Limbo; the best tune ever (by far)

The popularity of sports depends on where you are.

I think young kids play cricket in some posh international school in Thailand. Thai people know and play tra-kraw which I think is popular only in southeast asia. It is taught in every school and I also learned and played it, hahaha.

The popularity of sports depends on where you are.

I think young kids play cricket in some posh international school in Thailand. Thai people know and play tra-kraw which I think is popular only in southeast asia. It is taught in every school and I also learned and played it, hahaha.

Welcome...clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif