Creaking Bones And Muscles Need Help

Saan

Creaking bones and old muscles have precluded jogging and long walks to gain some fitness. Does anyone out there have an exercise bike they are not using that they want to sell.

I am 68 and started to use my epicyclic machine on Monday for the first time in a couple of years.

It is the kind you stand on and hold the grip and walk but you don't actually make contact with the ground so there is no real stress on your knees.

I did 1 km in 2.57 which I thought was good as I hadn't done any exercise for a couple of years.

The next day the muscles in my thighs were as tight as bowstrings and ALL my body ached.

I have had too many other things to do this week so I will probably start again next week on 500 metres and slower for a week then slowly build up which I should have done in the first place.

You might like to try the air strider type of machine. post-51-0-38473300-1338029955_thumb.jpg The basic model allows you to control the speed and stride by using arms legs or a combination of both.

Only a couple of thousand from the likes of Tesco Lotus and will soon get you feeling and looking noticeably fitter.

Used one to help get the wife's mother back on her feet etc a few years ago (sadly since passed on) after a life threatening bout with septicemia left her somewhat of a mess. Initially I operated it from the front with my arms to get her legs moving again,had a few extra muscles in the upper body after a few weeks of that!

I still use one on a daily basis in combination with golfing, swimming ,and 100 + sit ups, but not all at the same time. biggrin.png

Sorry, I don't have a exercise bike. If you are not already doing it, I would suggest working some swimming into your exercise program also. Swimming is normally considered to be "low-impact" on bones and joints but still provides good cardio benifits. I have knee problems that put running on the no-do list but swimming has proven to be much better for me. Of course, start slowly and work up gradually. Worth a try!

Swimming is the go and I don't mean endless laps. Mix it up with aerobic exercises,there's many limited only by imagination.Walking in the shallow end, frontwards ,backwards and sideways and I guarantee you will feel a lot more more flexible in your movements. After a life time with sport I'm 70 with 90 year old legs ,daIly use of the pool has been my saviour.In CM you can of course swim 365 days a year.

Swimming is the go and I don't mean endless laps. Mix it up with aerobic exercises,there's many limited only by imagination.Walking in the shallow end, frontwards ,backwards and sideways and I guarantee you will feel a lot more more flexible in your movements. After a life time with sport I'm 70 with 90 year old legs ,daIly use of the pool has been my saviour.In CM you can of course swim 365 days a year.

+1

I can and do still get out and walk but I do find the pool a lot easier on my knees and hips.

The pool here is up to my shoulders and at one point I tip toe. Mind you I am not a tall person.

Edited by hellodolly

I used to walk up to the Galare Restaurant until I came off my m/cycle and the full fuel tank landed on my left knee.

Two doctors recommended Walking in the swimming pool as recovery exercise.

I have used the pool for last four years .

john

And remember swimming is good for you.......especially if you're drowning

If you can not swim you sink and drown.

Go for early morning walk then get a few massages to loosin up muscles then after a while you will feel good.

I do it and it helps me. smile.png

Swimming is great if doing a reasonable distance, say 0.5 - 1K. Wife has an exercise bike at 4K collecting dust and clothes, I bought a real bike at 3K 2nd hand, the real one is much better as after you get where you are going you have no choice but to bloody well pedal back rather than raid the fridge or whimp out. Also this being Thailand the scenery is inevitably nice while riding, definitely ride longer and happier on the real bike. Sometimes even stop for a coffee break, better still ride to to the pool. Just a thought about knees and hips, if you are carting around too many kilos what joints are doing most of the work and what do you imagine might help that?

Swimming is great if doing a reasonable distance, say 0.5 - 1K. Wife has an exercise bike at 4K collecting dust and clothes, I bought a real bike at 3K 2nd hand, the real one is much better as after you get where you are going you have no choice but to bloody well pedal back rather than raid the fridge or whimp out. Also this being Thailand the scenery is inevitably nice while riding, definitely ride longer and happier on the real bike. Sometimes even stop for a coffee break, better still ride to to the pool. Just a thought about knees and hips, if you are carting around too many kilos what joints are doing most of the work and what do you imagine might help that?

You stated the obvious about weight but it is a Catch 22 situation. After too long playing contact sport the body started to rebel. It got to the point where I could not even ride a bike and the weight stacked on. I now feel I can master an exercise bike but would not feel comfortable on a road bike in CM traffic.

If your wife is interested in getting rid of the clothes rack (ie exercise bike) I would be interested to hear from you.