Any "Recent" Prices For Varifocal Glasses? Need New Ones.

rmicheald

What are the prices people have been paying for Varifocal (or progessives) with Titanium memory metal frames and glass (preferably ziess) lenses. I bought a pair back in 2009 for 10,000 baht but have seen posts indicating around 6,000 baht. I did a search, but the latest post is from February 2011.

Thanks in advance.

The shop is called First Optic think soi 17 off 3rd south,but can be reached passing turning left at Tuk com driving to the end turning left ,there is a dentist called Happy Dental next door. Just ordered another pair there,thought I was heading for cataracts with blared vision,but he recommended lubricant eye drops,thank God can see again. Tell him TV and a bit of Lod Noi he will come down a bit

Last time I priced some they were 12,000 Baht, lenses plus frames.

Priced some frames only last week in Rayong thinking they'd be cheaper away from the farang area, 12,000 baht marked price on the frames!!!! Discount of 30% available.

Last pair I actually bought were 4,000 Baht, in Ha Noi.

Not tried First Optic on Soi 17 yet but as I'm heading to Ha Noi in a couple of months I'm in no hurry.

Edited by PattayaParent

The last time I looked a few years ago I was shown a demostration card showing the ads and disads of 4 different grades of varifocal lens. The lenses ranged from thick with very poor side vision to extra thin (made in Germany) with excellent all round vision. Prices ranged from about 3,000 baht to 16,000 baht.

Make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

The last time I looked a few years ago I was shown a demostration card showing the ads and disads of 4 different grades of varifocal lens. The lenses ranged from thick with very poor side vision to extra thin (made in Germany) with excellent all round vision. Prices ranged from about 3,000 baht to 16,000 baht.

The ones I have are high index, the thinnest, and are plastic, not glass.

Made in Germany my arse, there fake

I paid $104 to Zenni for one week delivery to home of 1.67 Progressive (No-line multi-focal) with Anti Reflection Coating and full frame memory titanium bridge and spring hinges. Internet order is an option.

I paid $104 to Zenni for one week delivery to home of 1.67 Progressive (No-line multi-focal) with Anti Reflection Coating and full frame memory titanium bridge and spring hinges. Internet order is an option.

How one can order glasses from the internet as my understanding is that each lens needs to centered to the eye pupil before it is mounted in the frame.

The PD (Pupillary Distance) is part of the prescription and normally entered on it - if not a friend can easily measure - this is set by lens/frame during the making; not when a fitting is done (which is just adjustment of frame sides).

The PD (Pupillary Distance) is part of the prescription and normally entered on it - if not a friend can easily measure - this is set by lens/frame during the making; not when a fitting is done (which is just adjustment of frame sides).

Where would be a reliable optometrist for the prescription?

Is this the first time you order from Zenni,and do you have any comments on the quality of their lenses.

Do they use their own brand or a particular brandname for their lenses.

I went into one of the many glasses shops, on Central Road I think. I showed my current pair of progressive lenses that I had made in Singapore and for the same prescription/thickness/quality he quoted about 3 times what I paid forn them. When I told him his price seemed much too high he suddenly claimed mine were actually of very low quality and the ones he had quoted were far better in quality. So basically I concluded that like everything else in Pattaya (maybe Thailand generally) it was once again just about lying and cheating falang.

Basically I wouldn't consider bothering with the rip off merchants in Pattaya, have them made either in another country, Malaysia or Singapore would be perfect, or from the internet if you are 100% sure of the specifications. Also, I wouldn't trust any of the people in Pattaya to test my eyes properly etc, they are only there to rip you off and the reason they can survive on what seems like a tiny trickle of customers (they are almost always empty) is by massively over charging.

Glasses in Thailand are very expensive...no idea why, but they are.

I am not sure I would order over the internet unless so cheap it did not matter if not perfect.

How can they go through the test phase to make sure all ok and perfect for your own eye problem. At an optometrist it usually takes some time for them to swap and change and get the perfect result....how does that happen when ordering by post ?? And if and when you receive them, what if they are not suitable ??

my experience with buying glasses in Pattaya two times: I did pay a lot of money and the glasses were just good for the bin !!! The stuff was not able to make the simplest measure correctly ((Pupillary Distance)so the glasses were useless shit.

beside: had to go to a dentist in Pattaya because of root-infection ("The Dent. Empor."Misses NAwanat Atomkidjawat, Naklua Rd)

I told them to made a x-ray , but still, they were unable to diagnose it right (told me, it was just an outside gum-infection! nearly unbelievable!).

I went home 3 month later, still with the infection, and my doctor made the surgery immediately. I think good for me! Dont know what would have happened, if these clowns in Pattaya would have tried this surgery !!!

besides:

I paid last year in Germany:

Anti Reflection Coating thin (!)varifocal glasses with designer frame:

7800 Baht

after 3 weeks, there was a small problem with the surface/painting of the frame and I got a new frame for free !

I was quoted ฿17 000.- for mine, I'm still looking (in a vague, blurred sort of way).

That is about 6 times more than I paid in Singapore. And just so you know, I have been extremely pleased with the resuilt and have been waearing them for over a year.

my experience with buying glasses in Pattaya two times: I did pay a lot of money and the glasses were just good for the bin !!! The stuff was not able to make the simplest measure correctly ((Pupillary Distance)so the glasses were useless shit.

beside: had to go to a dentist in Pattaya because of root-infection ("The Dent. Empor."Misses NAwanat Atomkidjawat, Naklua Rd)

I told them to made a x-ray , but still, they were unable to diagnose it right (told me, it was just an outside gum-infection! nearly unbelievable!).

I went home 3 month later, still with the infection, and my doctor made the surgery immediately. I think good for me! Dont know what would have happened, if these clowns in Pattaya would have tried this surgery !!!

Can kill two birds with one stone going toget a pair of specs from the one mentioned above

Agree with rip off prices in Pattaya,but Malaysia are cheap and nasty generally,and Vietnam are utter crap for glasses,bought a top of the range RayBan with prescription lenses ,first brush with a piece of paper the arm of the glasses snapped off.

This guy in First Optic ,its a one man operation,he is no rip off merchant and will bend over backwards to please, pretty cheap too,...and the dentist next door is brilliant cheap and so so sympathetic in terms of what brought you to her in the first place

What is Hong Kong like for goggles....might have to go there soon.

My guess is a lot cheaper, far more professional and far more trustworthy than the shoddy rip off merchants that Thailand is full of. So wait for your trip and see.

So rmichaeld, did you find any reasonably priced varifocals?

Where did you try?

Did you visit First Optic?

Where did you try?

I haven't looked anywhere yet. I kept hoping that someone had purchased a quality pair in Pattaya at a reasonable price. Last year, someone had posted about a place off of third road which had the titanium memory frames, good glass lenses and were about 6,000 baht. I am trying to find a quality pair in that price range.

I went into one of the many glasses shops, on Central Road I think. I showed my current pair of progressive lenses that I had made in Singapore and for the same prescription/thickness/quality he quoted about 3 times what I paid forn them. When I told him his price seemed much too high he suddenly claimed mine were actually of very low quality and the ones he had quoted were far better in quality. So basically I concluded that like everything else in Pattaya (maybe Thailand generally) it was once again just about lying and cheating falang.

Basically I wouldn't consider bothering with the rip off merchants in Pattaya, have them made either in another country, Malaysia or Singapore would be perfect, or from the internet if you are 100% sure of the specifications. Also, I wouldn't trust any of the people in Pattaya to test my eyes properly etc, they are only there to rip you off and the reason they can survive on what seems like a tiny trickle of customers (they are almost always empty) is by massively over charging.

Exactly my experience too.

I did notice frames were cheaper when I was in Singapore a few months ago but didn't inquire about the lenses.

I was quoted ฿17 000.- for mine, I'm still looking (in a vague, blurred sort of way).

That is about 6 times more than I paid in Singapore. And just so you know, I have been extremely pleased with the resuilt and have been waearing them for over a year.

At that price it's cheaper to hop onto a 'plane to Singapore and get a pair there.

It's certainly cheaper than that for me to go to Ha Noi and back for a pair.

Where did you try?

Where did you try?

I haven't looked anywhere yet. I kept hoping that someone had purchased a quality pair in Pattaya at a reasonable price. Last year, someone had posted about a place off of third road which had the titanium memory frames, good glass lenses and were about 6,000 baht. I am trying to find a quality pair in that price range.

Somebody has,.....think number 5 of posts from the top will explain, bought 3 or 4 from him up to this date

Where did you try?

Where did you try?

Somebody has,.....think number 5 of posts from the top will explain, bought 3 or 4 from him up to this date

But you never quoted the prices of them so not much use.