German Restaurant

SimonGruber

I always thought Fatty's was good on the portions but low on the quality

Wrong. In fact, the portions are not huge, only the plates themselves. Quality of the food is very good, and importantly, is consistent every time you go there. Not always easy to get a table after 7 p.m. any evening, regardless of the 'season', which wouldn't be the case were my views not shared by the majority.

Id say a big majority there are Muay Thai fighters who are there for a good price and a big meal, not necessarily the finest dining in Phuket. I will give it another try though

I agree with you: good size portions, but on the lower end quality wise.

I would not say "low quality" but more like home style cooking or grand'ma style cooking which, of course, can not be compared to 3 or 4 Michelin guide stars cuisine tongue.png

I would not say "low quality" but more like home style cooking or grand'ma style cooking which, of course, can not be compared to 3 or 4 Michelin guide stars cuisine tongue.png

If it were home cooking style quality I would be very happy and a regular there. But it is not and I am not.

If it were home cooking style quality I would be very happy and a regular there. But it is not and I am not.

can't agree any more

Got to agree with AD61, in that yes, it is home style cooking, and that's what makes it so popular. In spite of the owner being German, I would also hesitate to call it a 'German' restaurant, as it's more pan European for me, with some good Thai dishes also. The meat is always well cooked, and the mashed and pan fried potatoes are the best I've experienced anywhere on the island.

As I said previously, the amount of tables full of regulars every night (or at least the nights that I've been there - at least once or twice a month for the past 4 years) tells the story of it's popularity, particularly as it's in about as far removed from a tourist area as you could get in Phuket. Also, and contrary to a previous poster, I rarely see the 'Muy Thai' crowd in there, probably because they don't serve what is typically a Muy Thai training menu (go to 'Tony's' restaurant in what I call 'Muy Thai Lane' to see what I mean).