Manchester United

redrus

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Good game! ManU scoring against the run of play. Two nice goals. Both teams could have scored more. Thought that push was a pen for Bournemouth, and Sanchez wasn't offside when he was 1 on 1 with the goalie. Bournemouth brilliant in the oopening spell but ManU to win it.

Tidy side Bournemouth I am well impressed and Eddie Howe as our next manager if José goes would be a good choice.

Yes Sanchez was onside, There penalty seen them given but he made the most of the push maybe swayed the ref.

57 minutes ago, nev said:

Tidy side Bournemouth I am well impressed and Eddie Howe as our next manager if José goes would be a good choice.

Yes Sanchez was onside, There penalty seen them given but he made the most of the push maybe swayed the ref.

He’s done an unbelievable job for them. Deserves a crack at a bigger club. 

• Like 1

Maybe, but maybe he'd be better staying at Bournemouth. He went to Burnley but that didn't work out. He could be another Allardyce at Bolton or Moyes at Everton. The grass is not always...

I spent a fair chunk of that game trying to work out what that Bournemouth badge is all about - had to google it in the end. Bloody awful design.

9 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

dominated by Bournemouth, papering over the cracks beautifully....

But, the mad thing is they did win!!  Outplayed for most of the game but showed a lot of grit.

Papering over the cracks clearly yes, but he doesn't seem to have lost the dressing room.  For United fans the question remains; do you think he's going to be the one to create a fluent attacking top four side that will compete at CL level and challenge for the premier league?

14 hours ago, nev said:

Our defence is not Goliath mate very easy to batter, The reason José wanted a central defender start of the season but Woodward (no nothing about football but good balancing books) over ruled him.

Agree better defenders are needed, current lot hardly Neville,Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra but not easy to prise a better defender away from their current club.Varane was mentioned previously, he had a shocker a game or two back.Harry McGuire based on a couple of good games for England but has got no where near that form this season.

The current back 4 are geting very litle protection from midfield Matic ,always was slow but is looking positively cumbersome at the present,maybe we are missing Fellaini in that role something I never thought I would say. At least the team is showing desire coming home at full speed against a team that deserve their place in the table.

Pogba had some amazing touches and runs  but his lack of consistency is still a worry.

Re Mourinho we are not privvy to what goes on in the dressing room or training.He will always be a controversial fig. I think he enjoys it.

3 hours ago, carmine said:

But, the mad thing is they did win!!  Outplayed for most of the game but showed a lot of grit.

Papering over the cracks clearly yes, but he doesn't seem to have lost the dressing room.  For United fans the question remains; do you think he's going to be the one to create a fluent attacking top four side that will compete at CL level and challenge for the premier league?

Outplayed in the 1st half for sure but Utd were by far the better in the 2nd.

23 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Outplayed in the 1st half for sure but Utd were by far the better in the 2nd.

Yes, its difficult to know where they sit right now.  Unless any United fan on here convinces me otherwise but i think Mourinho's minimum requirement this season is top four.

10 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes, its difficult to know where they sit right now.  Unless any United fan on here convinces me otherwise but i think Mourinho's minimum requirement this season is top four.

I'd agree, but I can't see it happening. Their back line is still dodgy and their strikers are hit and miss. The midfield is a weird mixture of players who seem recently introduced to each other. Maybe January will bring in some game changers, but how often does that happen ?

Top 4 even more difficult given the job Emery is doing at Arsenal.

12 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I'd agree, but I can't see it happening. Their back line is still dodgy and their strikers are hit and miss. The midfield is a weird mixture of players who seem recently introduced to each other. Maybe January will bring in some game changers, but how often does that happen ?

Top 4 even more difficult given the job Emery is doing at Arsenal.

What i don't understand is their backline was fine in his first season wasn't it?!!  And regards personnel, he bought a number, i really don't see why he can't turn them into a unit.  Theres so much quality to work with.

Top four is going to be tough because Liverpool and Chelsea i doubt will fall out which basically leaves three into one place.  And on the moneys he's spent the board have every right to call it a minimum requirement for the biggest club in the country.

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

What i don't understand is their backline was fine in his first season wasn't it?!!  And regards personnel, he bought a number, i really don't see why he can't turn them into a unit.  Theres so much quality to work with.

Top four is going to be tough because Liverpool and Chelsea i doubt will fall out which basically leaves three into one place.  And on the moneys he's spent the board have every right to call it a minimum requirement for the biggest club in the country.

Seems Mourinho has made average players out of good ones, and poor players out of average ones.

5 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Seems Mourinho has made average players out of good ones, and poor players out of average ones.

Someone like Poch would make this squad a top 4 side imo. 

He keeps chopping and changing players trying to accommodate the big earners who arent performing under him, leaves players at home who are underperforming. He doesn’t seem to know who his best side is week to week. 

He claims the team worked incredibly hard all week on tactics etc then not for the first time they start the game poorly. By his own admission they were fortunate not be out of the game in the first half and the usual comments that his defence were “awful” and “top teams don’t start like that “ 

That squad is not a happy squad under him imo. 

• Like 1

Bailly was solid as a rock last season now he is shot, last game he played he was hauled off, Jones used to be reliable now he makes mistakes every game, Smalling is up and down.

Lindelof has looked half decent after a shaker start, You cannot pin it all on the defenders the midfield offers no protection at times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nev said:

Bailly was solid as a rock last season now he is shot, last game he played he was hauled off, Jones used to be reliable now he makes mistakes every game, Smalling is up and down.

Lindelof has looked half decent after a shaker start, You cannot pin it all on the defenders the midfield offers no protection at times.

bailly was abso amazing b4 arguably one if not the stand out c/b att, jones has ALWAYS been a bloody good footballer and smalling is good enough,, but the one thing that is the same from non lge to champions lge central defenders   need game time together to build a partnership, and when they come bac from lengthy injury lay off they will be rusty  a few mistakes AT SOME POINT will be made,  murry aint stupid he must realise that, only thing i can think thats stopping him puttin that into practice is players picking up small injuries post recovery and if either rustyness or re injurying themselves is a disproportionately growing then a re look at the players recovery programe needs to happen   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

bailly was abso amazing b4 arguably one if not the stand out c/b att, jones has ALWAYS been a bloody good footballer and smalling is good enough,, but the one thing that is the same from non lge to champions lge central defenders   need game time together to build a partnership, and when they come bac from lengthy injury lay off they will be rusty  a few mistakes AT SOME POINT will be made,  murry aint stupid he must realise that, only thing i can think thats stopping him puttin that into practice is players picking up small injuries post recovery and if either rustyness or re injurying themselves is a disproportionately growing then a re look at the players recovery programe needs to happen   

Have to disagree with your assessment of Jones. He has been pony for ages. Couldn’t believe he went to the World Cup. 

If Bailly leaves and goes somewhere like Spurs (one of many rumours) he will shine. His  confidence, like any  has been shot to pieces under Mourinho. 

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Have to disagree with your assessment of Jones. He has been pony for ages. Couldn’t believe he went to the World Cup. 

If Bailly leaves and goes somewhere like Spurs (one of many rumours) he will shine. His  confidence, like any  has been shot to pieces under Mourinho. 

yeah typical football fans short term memory you dont become 'pony '????as u put it  overnight the abilty stays however as with bailly ,jones was and  IS STILL an outstanding footballer but post their major injuries both  seem somewhat palgued with irrating minor injuries, jones more so,  they  have never been able to put a decent run of games to gether  to regain their  momentum and  full match fitness, when they do, not sure jones will be doing those maurading runs as b4 but they'll  be an asset to both utd and countries,,  i'de open armed welcome either to tottenham, BOTH would make a significant diference to our defence  IMO.

Edited by 3 minus 2

59 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

yeah typical football fans short term memory you dont become 'pony '????as u put it  overnight the abilty stays however as with bailly ,jones was and  IS STILL an outstanding footballer but post their major injuries both  seem somewhat palgued with irrating minor injuries, jones more so,  they  have never been able to put a decent run of games to gether  to regain their  momentum and  full match fitness, when they do, not sure jones will be doing those maurading runs as b4 but they'll  be an asset to both utd and countries,,  i'de open armed welcome either to tottenham, BOTH would make a significant diference to our defence  IMO.

We can agree to disagree. 

Jones and marauding runs 5555

You’re right. I must be getting Alzheimer’s. 

5 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Looks a good team selection by Mourinho tonight.

You'll have a tough time though if Ronaldo is on form as we discovered against Messi the other week.

Best of luck!

Cheers mate and totally agree about the team selection more balanced without the lump up top, And we got there in the end rode our luck at times but a great battling performance and after Ronnie's cracking goal I thought well that's it, but we have that fighting spirit back and we put to bed all the talk of not playing for the boss.

Mata is a fantastic player and when he stepped up for the freekick I thought it will take a good save to keep it out sure enough keeper was well beaten, As for the winner very scrappy but they all count, Special mention for Martial he was brilliant.

49 minutes ago, nev said:

Cheers mate and totally agree about the team selection more balanced without the lump up top, And we got there in the end rode our luck at times but a great battling performance and after Ronnie's cracking goal I thought well that's it, but we have that fighting spirit back and we put to bed all the talk of not playing for the boss.

Mata is a fantastic player and when he stepped up for the freekick I thought it will take a good save to keep it out sure enough keeper was well beaten, As for the winner very scrappy but they all count, Special mention for Martial he was brilliant.

Any win, home or away against Juve is a great win.  That certainly not.  Funny how when Mourinho starting using players he had been discarding there's a better balance signs of more fluency.  Perhaps the all seeing all knowing never gets it wrong has started listening to the fans (away fans, that is) because certain players that were being slagged off are the ones now that are really doing it for him.  Yes martial is absolute quality and take a look at his strike rate!!

Great win.

29 minutes ago, carmine said:

Any win, home or away against Juve is a great win.  That certainly not.  Funny how when Mourinho starting using players he had been discarding there's a better balance signs of more fluency.  Perhaps the all seeing all knowing never gets it wrong has started listening to the fans (away fans, that is) because certain players that were being slagged off are the ones now that are really doing it for him.  Yes martial is absolute quality and take a look at his strike rate!!

Great win.

His strike rate is average!

Monaco - 15 in 70 games[1 in 4.6 games - not good]
ManU - 42 in 149 games [1 in 3.5 games - average]
Overall Club: 57 in 219 games [1 in 3.8 games - average]
For France - 1 in 18 games [poor]

22 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I was talking about playing for Man Utd as you might have noticed if you'd bothered to read my post properly rather than rush off to try and disagree.  Baring in mind the minutes played as in being used a lot as a sub his rate is very good. Minutes per game is far more relevant than number of games.   Now run along and tell us more about your 60m benchwarmer or how the Daily Telegraph has suddenly become a tabloid newspaper!!

Edited by carmine

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You can't measure it in games BB, because if a player has only played 5 mins of a game it puts all the figs out, for your info Martial in the Premiership for Utd has scored a goal every 217 mins or every 2.41 games.

Edited by alfieconn

20 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

You can't measure it in games BB, because if a player has only played 5 mins of a game it puts all the figs out, for your info Martial in the Premiership for Utd has scored a goal every 217 mins or every 2.41 games.

You are wasting your time.  Its going start over his head.

Bit like trying to explain why Mahrez has been starting a lot of games.  Ofcourse its nothing to do with injuries and yes they really bought him as a first choice starter because the incumbent midfield really didn't do their job last season,  you know!!! ????

Edited by carmine

Back last Sunday after the Bournemouth game I suggested Fellaini, once the pantomine villian of United, could play an important part for United.After watching the replay of last nights game  I think thats vindicated even he came on late he just brings something to the table they dont have without him.

SKY gave Lindelof their MOM which shows just what a crazy game football is. A few weeks back "fans" were screaming "what waste of money". BBC went for Mata 

Beating Juventus on their patch should not be underestimated but these recent last min goals have an element of luck required ,you cant keep doing it

Carmine you're NOT able to maintain an arguement / debate (call it what you will) are you without getting personal. Pavk it will you.

Alfie - So if we are considering Martial based on minutes played and not games played (didn't  iheanacho in his City days have the best goals per minute) then what is your source for the stat you  posted - please advise  so we can see its correct.  How does Martial  goals per minute stack up against other Premier players  - then we can consider iif he has a great decent average or poor strike rate. Over to yous