Manchester United

redrus

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

You have had 3 years to build a world class team. You get static Matic in midfield, a donkey up front, 2 CBs who you can't be arsed to develop, Mkhi who you wasted, Sanchez & Ibra who are finished at the top level, Fred who you don't play and Dalot who you leave at home.

3 years to build a world class team.

We're back to that old chesnut of defining world class...So 2nd in the PL isn't world class? You have to win the league to be world class? 

You get static Matic in midfield

He is a HOLDING midfielder. His job is to sit and break up play. Played well vs Chelsea.

A donkey up front

Been a mixed bag for United, but roughly 20 goals in 40 appearances. 45 in 79 at international level. Not a donkey.

2 CBs who you can't be arsed to develop

Pretty sure they train most days. Not sure which these are referring to but Bailly was outstanding until a recent dip. Lindelof has started to show signs of promise. Smalling and Jones will always have their 'ceiling', which is the reason we need to buy another top class centre back. But the former has improved under Mourinho.

Sanchez & Ibra who are finished at the top level

Ibra came in and won two trophies with us, did a good job. I don't believe Alexis is physically deteriorating, just out of form. 

Fred who you don't play

Fred was thrown straight into the first 11 for first few games. Unfortunately he was part of team which produced some of our worst performances this season, and deserved to be taken out. He will get his chance again for sure.

Dalot who you leave at home

Plenty of time for Dalot. Young offers more at present and we need the experience. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

We're back to that old chesnut of defining world class...So 2nd in the PL isn't world class? You have to win the league to be world class? 

He is a HOLDING midfielder. His job is to sit and break up play. Played well vs Chelsea.

A donkey up front

Been a mixed bag for United, but roughly 20 goals in 40 appearances. 45 in 79 at international level. Not a donkey.

Pretty sure they train most days. Not sure which these are referring to but Bailly was outstanding until a recent dip. Lindelof has started to show signs of promise. Smalling and Jones will always have their 'ceiling', which is the reason we need to buy another top class centre back. But the former has improved under Mourinho.

Ibra came in and won two trophies with us, did a good job. I don't believe Alexis is physically deteriorating, just out of form. 

Fred who you don't play

Fred was thrown straight into the first 11 for first few games. Unfortunately he was part of team which produced some of our worst performances this season, and deserved to be taken out. He will get his chance again for sure.

Plenty of time for Dalot. Young offers more at present and we need the experience. 

Just quoting what someone else had written and although I don't fully agree with all of it, some is close to the mark.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

A donkey up front

Fred who you don't play

You have a team well able to compete with the exception of the desperately needed CB but I'm of the opinion your striker is second tier and can't cut it amongst the best in either the Prem or CL.

Lukaku wasn't sold by Chelsea for no reason....decent yes but he won't get any better.

16 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

On the subject of expectation....at Utd the expectation is not runners up or a fight for fourth but more where is the CL final being played and let's get the hotels booked in August.

Exactly, that is still our standard and it was set in Sir Alex's era.

Unfortunately, we are on the road back to that level. And while we are I think it is sensible for a manager who sees himself here long term to dampen those expectations a little. Some might prefer the 'hire and fire' a manager every two years formula. I don't, and I'd like to give Jose a similar amount of time that Fergie was at the start. Although may not be possible in today's fickle environment, in which public opinion lurches  wildly from game to game, helped along by the media. 

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Which one do you think will replace Lukaku today? 

Lukaku is irreplaceable, is one of the best in the World apparently, yet Mourinho is managing expectations to ensure coming 6th this season is acceptable with the players he has.

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Which one do you think will replace Lukaku today? 

I hope he gets dropped, Martial Sanchez and Rashford should be our starting front three.

Lukaku went down a lot in my estimation when he refused to play in the Fa cup final ???? so he didn't get an injury to rule him out, And since then he has been very average to say the least.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nev said:

I hope he gets dropped, Martial Sanchez and Rashford should be our starting front three.

Lukaku went down a lot in my estimation when he refused to play in the Fa cup final ???? so he didn't get an injury to rule him out, And since then he has been very average to say the least.

Yes his contributions of late haven’t been up to much and his stats in matches look awful. 

Confidence is a massive thing mind and one goal can change all that. It does appear you have better options at the mo 

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

Yes his contributions of late haven’t been up to much and his stats in matches look awful. 

Confidence is a massive thing mind and one goal can change all that. It does appear you have better options at the mo 

It's something like 1 goal in 10 games now it's getting beyond a joke, his game offers nothing but goals once they dry up he offers nothing to the team.

1 minute ago, nev said:

It's something like 1 goal in 10 games now it's getting beyond a joke, his game offers nothing but goals once they dry up he offers nothing to the team.

He’s one of them players who just looks lazy and slow. 

Granted he hasn’t been getting the best of service but even so his body language and effort doesn’t look good. Can see why United supporters are losing patience. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nev said:

To me the most worrying thing is his first touch. He's a great finisher but makes life hard for himself.

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

To me the most worrying thing is his first touch. He's a great finisher but makes life hard for himself.

His touch for a professional footballer is shocking, He needs the ball served on a platter but one thing he is good at pointing where the ball should have been put I'll give him that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Getting better but still a lot of room for improvement, When the big lump came on the whole dynamics of the team changed the lads lacking in confidence right now.

Rashford had his chance up top but failed to impress, Lindelof was good again and so was Pogba, Up to the dizzy heights of 8th now onwards and upwards.

4 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Why is Sanchez sitting on the bench?

Does Mourinho just not like him????

I think he may be on his way.  Anyway, its absurd having a player of that quality, well potential quality, sitting on the bench whilst he trousers 450k every week.  If he's not in the managers plans he needs to go.

6 hours ago, nev said:

Lindelof was good again

Agreed. Smalling was also heading for a good game until the stupid challenge for their goal.

I thought the match summed up Pogba at the moment... the giving the ball away for their goal + the penalty run up; but then also the brilliant pass for Martial's goal and his overall play wasn't bad. 

If anyone needed confirmation of Martials best position you got it again v Everton.MOM. Hugging the sideline as he did  he can create havoc for the RB and coming inside to fire of a shot is his strength.His only blemish going down the middle and instead of rounding Pickford tried to fire it straight through him,that's why, at this stage of his career at 22, he's not a striker neither is Rashford and we can forget he's still only 20.

Lindelof is showing the form he displayed in the WC its all about confidence with him IMO. Young continues to amaze a left winger turned into a capable RB at his age.

Major problem with MU at the moment they just cant finish games off. Goal difference in relation to postion tells all.

Lastly Sanches came back injured as Nev said. Still want to see him as striker, he's a street fighter with a decent first touch.

Dalot is not being considered as his recovery from a serious knee injury is being handled with caution,fair enough with a guy who is only 19.

Valencia had complicated mouth surgery which resulted in no training for 15 days and now finds himself second choice to Young but loads of games to come ,Young won't play them all.Darmien seems to be totally unwanted, must go in January

Lastly if youre a real MU fan check out one Mason Greenwood ,17 years old playing Under 19's, 15 goals in 12 games.Nicky Butt reckons he's the real deal.If you good enough youre old enough and hope he gets  a run maybe in their first round of the FA cup

• Like 1

^^^^^Mouth watering description

But face the  real facts

Presently placed 8 th

5 points from a C/L place .

only won 5 from ten matchs .goal difference zero

9 points behind leaders at this early stage 

the above in my view under the present set up (Maureen)

is  good as it gets

22 hours ago, Sparkles said:

If anyone needed confirmation of Martials best position you got it again v Everton.MOM. Hugging the sideline as he did  he can create havoc for the RB and coming inside to fire of a shot is his strength.His only blemish going down the middle and instead of rounding Pickford tried to fire it straight through him,that's why, at this stage of his career at 22, he's not a striker neither is Rashford and we can forget he's still only 20.

Lindelof is showing the form he displayed in the WC its all about confidence with him IMO. Young continues to amaze a left winger turned into a capable RB at his age.

Major problem with MU at the moment they just cant finish games off. Goal difference in relation to postion tells all.

Lastly Sanches came back injured as Nev said. Still want to see him as striker, he's a street fighter with a decent first touch.

Dalot is not being considered as his recovery from a serious knee injury is being handled with caution,fair enough with a guy who is only 19.

Valencia had complicated mouth surgery which resulted in no training for 15 days and now finds himself second choice to Young but loads of games to come ,Young won't play them all.Darmien seems to be totally unwanted, must go in January

Lastly if youre a real MU fan check out one Mason Greenwood ,17 years old playing Under 19's, 15 goals in 12 games.Nicky Butt reckons he's the real deal.If you good enough youre old enough and hope he gets  a run maybe in their first round of the FA cup

22 hours ago, Sparkles said:

All Mourinho had to do with Martial was stop running him down to the press and utilize him properly or it would have been yet another talent he's lost.  Funny how certain United posters, sorry poster,  has changed his opinion about Martial, seemingly the only one that didn't understand what a talent he is.  With a new manager next season i expect he, and United to shine.  I say this because every much doubt Mourinho will finish the season achieving what is required of him which simply has to be a minimum of top four.  I also have a gut feeling certain managers wouldn't need to buy players seeing the quality of that squad.  

22 minutes ago, carmine said:

Funny how certain United posters, sorry poster,  has changed his opinion about Martial, seemingly the only one that didn't understand what a talent he is.  

Talking about me? ????????????

Nobody is happier than me he has finally strung 3-4 good performances in a row together. I recognised his potential, but the fact is other than his 'honeymoon period' when he arrived and this golden patch, he has been one of the underperforming players in an underperforming team.

Now hopefully he can kick on. I hope I will be joining the section of United fans that are in love with him. 

Just a note on his position. I believe Sparkles is spot on, but I don't see him as an out an out winger. More a striker that can drift inside from the byline, rather than a young Giggs type. I guess we can call him a 'Forward'. 

38 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Talking about me? ????????????

Nobody is happier than me he has finally strung 3-4 good performances in a row together. I recognised his potential, but the fact is other than his 'honeymoon period' when he arrived and this golden patch, he has been one of the underperforming players in an underperforming team.

Now hopefully he can kick on. I hope I will be joining the section of United fans that are in love with him. 

Just a note on his position. I believe Sparkles is spot on, but I don't see him as an out an out winger. More a striker that can drift inside from the byline, rather than a young Giggs type. I guess we can call him a 'Forward'. 

Look i do mean to split hairs here but i think its fairer to say under utilized players in an under performing team.  He simply was getting enough minutes.  Now i'm not entirely sure about this bu i wouldn't mind betting that aside of his golden patch as you describe it, he's has the best goals to minutes played ratio of anyone.  i completely agree with you about where/how to play, the only thing we appear to disagree on i think he's a much better player than you seem to!!  Which is fair enough.

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Its also on Truevisions BEin 1 and David is battering Goliath in the first 14 minutes. 1v0

Our defence is not Goliath mate very easy to batter, The reason José wanted a central defender start of the season but Woodward (no nothing about football but good balancing books) over ruled him.