Bank Savings Interest Rates

33 minutes ago, meatboy said:

its coming to the end of the yr.so i expect CIMB need to balance their books.tooooooooo much gone out CM.

i see some of the smaller banks made BIG profits,so watch out we might get a little bit of it back.who said pigs fly.

I was hoping that a 'bring back happiness to the people' account may have been offered. But nothing so far...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

gdaya,

read today on www.lhbank.co.th  under deposit promotion  24 months , 2.45 % , im not sure if it would not turn out to be an isurance product ???

wbr roobaa01

This is a Bing Translation of the promotion, it appears you get that rate 2.40% for 2 years if you buy their life Insurance policy LH Bank 510. I am not even sure what it is. On the Bank of Thailand Daily Interest Rate Site, it is still showing the LH Bank two year fixed at 1.80% standard rate. I can't say but it is probably not as good as it sounds after buying the life insurance too.

LH Bank Deposit campaign with insurance.
Update date : 21/11/2559
<iframe src="//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-P4DXRT" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe>

LH Bank Deposit campaign with insurance.

High interest 2.45% and receive a refund of 6% every year. .
Mr. Pairat stately bearing Vice President branch Affairs Division revealed that . Bank deposit products and life insurance as an alternative to saving money at the high yield. Along with the protection of life and create the discipline of savings to customers include deposit duration 24 months deposit over 60,000 baht interest rate 2.40% and deposit over 200,000 baht, interest rates. . Up to 2.45% interest monthly with the purchase of life insurance Life the LH Bank 510 premium is only 5 years old , provides coverage for up to 10 years and still get a refund from the policy, up to 6% every year, well worth the benefits to personal income tax deductions, to the maximum of THB 100,000 customers can open an account with life insurance from today onwards the LH Bank branches across the country. for more information, please contact LH Bank branches or by calling 02-363-0000 or www.lhbank.co.th .
Edited by BobTH

Bangkok Bank is showing fixed rates of 1.75% for 24 months and also 1.50 for 12 months, that is up from what I remember and these numbers are from the Bank of Thailand Site also. The could be offering a special that I am not seeing. I might drop by their and ask them since they are close by

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 8:22 AM, meatboy said:

this is for JAS 21 your last post,tues.11.49.

the saving plan eg.over 2yrs.we have one that is maturing soon 25k.a month at 3.60 with the thai credit and retail bank.

at this time of posting their new rate is 25k.monthly at 2.80%.

Is this for Thai's only. I have a similar one with Kbank.

Thanks Den

13 hours ago, denby45 said:

Is this for Thai's only. I have a similar one with Kbank.

Thanks Den

yes its a tax free saving plan for thais only.today is the wifes last payment,so she will be looking to start another as you are only allowed ONE,but she thinks the rate has gone down.i will post details later.

the 2.80 savings plan is still available to THAIS.

they also have a 12month fixed min.100k max.1millionbht.interset is paid up front 18,000bht.NO TAX.

i did have simular at TGSB.SO THE WIFE WILL ASK ABOUT THIS FOR US PEASANTS.INT.1.80%

Edited by meatboy

I don't know why Thanachart is so coy about divulging its special interest rates, but currently until Jan 15 they have 1.85% for 22 months.

CIMB Preferred currently has:

1.80% 12 months

1.70% 5 months

Regular accounts offer 1.75% and 1.65%

According to its ATM ads, Bangkok Bank currently has:

2.56% 7 years :w00t:

2.00% 3 years

In a nasty little twist, I now see that Bangkok Bank is making its special fixed deposits (5, 7 and 11 months) only available to Thais.  I quote:

"The 5-Month, 7-Month and 11-Month Fixed Deposit Accounts are available only for Thai individuals, corporates, government agencies, insurance companies, and non-profit juristic persons."

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/FixedDeposits/Pages/SpecialFixedDeposits.aspx

20 minutes ago, Oxx said:

In a nasty little twist, I now see that Bangkok Bank is making its special fixed deposits (5, 7 and 11 months) only available to Thais.  I quote:

"The 5-Month, 7-Month and 11-Month Fixed Deposit Accounts are available only for Thai individuals, corporates, government agencies, insurance companies, and non-profit juristic persons."

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/FixedDeposits/Pages/SpecialFixedDeposits.aspx

if this is the case I will be moving my money to another bank, but for now I am messing around with exchange rates moving between my sterling and thai accounts as the opportunity presents

This condition has applied for a while. When I opened a new FD at BBL a year ago, the staff mentioned the interest rate was for Thai's only. However, I showed my yellow tabien baan and pink card and been a longstanding customer, they agreed to open the account for me at the advertised interest rate for Thai's.

18 hours ago, orientalist said:

I don't know why Thanachart is so coy about divulging its special interest rates, but currently until Jan 15 they have 1.85% for 22 months.

Well, they just called me and said that deal has in fact finished. The current offering is 1.65% for 18 months - not as good as CIMB or LH.

UOB Fixed Deposit with Monthly Interest Payment for individuals customers who make deposit during 1 December 2016 - 31 January 2017 * 12 months 1.89  

Amount from THB 500,000 - THB 5,000,000

i think for 1 year is a good deal

Edited by marino28
  • Like 1

On 09/01/2017 at 0:05 PM, marino28 said:

UOB Fixed Deposit with Monthly Interest Payment for individuals customers who make deposit during 1 December 2016 - 31 January 2017 * 12 months 1.89  

Amount from THB 500,000 - THB 5,000,000

i think for 1 year is a good deal

Do you know if this has to be new money or will they take existing savings?

8 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

UOB will take existing savings but if that money is in another 'Savings' account the you will lose the "Interest' already paid on that money.

john

I would have lost just short of B10K so not worth it to me.

Not entirely true, the money I used for this  product yesterday came from a UOB Preferred Savings account which calculates interest on a daily basis and is instant access hence no loss of interest - but hey, 1.4% vs 189%, we have to take the interest where we find it..

Edited by chiang mai

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a mai tee account for 3 years now, I dont have work permit or house just yearly extension I tried a l&h before and they asked for work permit is uob and cimb the same? based in phuket? I could do with my money working a bit harder than 1.3%

52 minutes ago, baggies666 said:

I have had a mai tee account for 3 years now, I dont have work permit or house just yearly extension I tried a l&h before and they asked for work permit is uob and cimb the same? based in phuket? I could do with my money working a bit harder than 1.3%

I'm sorry I don't know what the current rules are, I suspect UOB may be more sensible than most hence why not go ask.

1 hour ago, baggies666 said:

i have 2accs.with LH.had also bkkb.scb.tgsb.but when i went to open one at cimb.they said i must have an address in the uk.

i have no work permit,but a ressidents address,thai drivers licence,tax id [tin].

i have found the LH bank ok.so give HQ a ring. 

another one to try is the THAI CREDIT UNION i know you cant have one of their tax free accs.but they have the same as LH.on fixed accs.1.80% over 12months.

if you got a wife[thai] 2.80% savings plan min,monthly 1k-25k.tax free over 2yrs.

8 hours ago, meatboy said:

i have 2accs.with LH.had also bkkb.scb.tgsb.but when i went to open one at cimb.they said i must have an address in the uk.

i have no work permit,but a ressidents address,thai drivers licence,tax id [tin].

i have found the LH bank ok.so give HQ a ring. 

another one to try is the THAI CREDIT UNION i know you cant have one of their tax free accs.but they have the same as LH.on fixed accs.1.80% over 12months.

if you got a wife[thai] 2.80% savings plan min,monthly 1k-25k.tax free over 2yrs.

thanks I will head office a call and see what I can do, I will have to do a search on thai credit union never heard of it 

13 hours ago, baggies666 said:

thanks I will head office a call and see what I can do, I will have to do a search on thai credit union never heard of it 

my wife has been with T.C.UNION 3yrs.first was a fixed acc.then a 2yr.savings plan maturing in 2weeks a d also a 3yr.fixed.

interest was like LH a little bit better than any of the big banks.

i have some waiting in the vault in the uk.that is making zero so i would like it here,BUT the exchange rate is just a LITTLE bit on the low side.but i am thinking about T.C.UNION.

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

my wife has been with T.C.UNION 3yrs.first was a fixed acc.then a 2yr.savings plan maturing in 2weeks a d also a 3yr.fixed.

interest was like LH a little bit better than any of the big banks.

i have some waiting in the vault in the uk.that is making zero so i would like it here,BUT the exchange rate is just a LITTLE bit on the low side.but i am thinking about T.C.UNION.

Do you have a link to the website of this Thai Credit Union you are referring to? I looked online and didn't see a company called that, only a conglomerate of co-operatives. 

39 minutes ago, BobTH said:

Do you have a link to the website of this Thai Credit Union you are referring to? I looked online and didn't see a company called that, only a conglomerate of co-operatives. 

sorry a bit late with a reply.

www.tcrbank.com.

call center 02-697 5454.

4 hours ago, meatboy said:

sorry a bit late with a reply.

www.tcrbank.com.

call center 02-697 5454.

Thanks meatboy, it is listed here on the Bank of Thailand site but for a one year it is showing at 1.7% where as Land and House is showing at 1.8%. Perhaps it is a special they are not showing on this site. Anyway thanks for the link, I didn't recognize it as the Thai Credit Union but when I saw it was listed under The Thai Credit Retail Bank,  that was familiar to me.

https://www.bot.or.th/english/statistics/financialmarkets/interestrate/_layouts/application/interest_rate/IN_Rate.aspx

I actually tried to open an account a year ago with them on Yaowarat Road China Town in Bangkok but they would not let me open one. I am on a retirement extension, have been here over 5 years on it, and have accounts at SBC, Bangkok Bank, Land and House and Krungsri. If I remember right they wanted a work permit on no go, I am not sure if another branch would have opened one for me or not, I didn't try.

Edited by BobTH
Additional text.

As Standard Chartered's retail banking is going to be taken over by Tisco, I'm concerned about what will happen to their eSaver account product which I've enjoyed using as a much more flexible alternative to term deposits but still with a high interest rate. So I'm now researching alternatives.

An eSaver account currently earns 1.5% per year. I use this for the bulk of my savings. I even managed to use it to qualify for a one-year extension of stay (even though it comes with no passbook or ATM card).

A JustOne account, which is a transactional account that comes with a passbook and ATM card, currently earns 2.25% per year for balances up to 100k THB.

Krungsri's Mee Tae Dai account seems to be an alternative, but with only a 1.3% interest rate.

I assume TMB ME is still not available for foreigners.

What other accounts are around that:

• Earns high interest;
  • Allows withdrawals without forfeiture of accumulated interest;
  • Can be used to satisfy extension of stay requirement?