What'S The Latest On Tiered Pricing At Bangkok Pattaya Hospital?

Jingthing

A little background.

I have used BPH before for some quick and easy things. I knew they were overcharging me, but it was quick and convenient for me, so for those minor things, I just didn't want to bother "negotiating" for a better price, that is IF I could have achieved that.

Over the years, I have gained the impression that there is indeed tiered pricing at BPH (and other Thai private hospitals) and it is particularly overblown at BPH.

For example:

Thai national price

Foreign resident price

Foreign TOURIST price

I am sure so far I have only gotten the tourists price. I did make it clear I lived here but it's like the info didn't even register and I'm sure I got the highest prices.

It turns out now I am interested in a more expensive procedure that is going to cost me over 100K baht wherever I go. I have located two docs at BPH that I think can do the job at a comparable level to where I might go in Bangkok. Doing it at BPH may be worth SOME more money to me as it involves multiple appointments, two different procedures, and followups needed. So there IS an extra cost to go to Bangkok in transport and probably some hotels (no hospital bed needed).

So I'd like to get an estimate from BPH. So the question is, how can I actually get an estimate based on my NOT being a tourist?

Ideally, someone with personal experience of knowing exactly what you need to do to be recognized as a patient that is going to get better than the tourist price. Such as specifics, who to talk to, when to talk them, etc.

The one time I had minor quick surgery there, when the subject of pricing came up it reminded me of being in a sleazy used car sales office in the states! Really awful. I'm not optimistic that I can do better, but I'm curious about any recent experiences or advice on this topic.

Edited by Jingthing

if you're commited to BHP try the expat clubs in Pattaya, as I recall one of them has an incentive in place with BHP, not much about 10%, but better than nothing

you need to bid at them

its a business like any other even akin to car dealerships

get some background prices from other hospitals in the area

tell them you want the cheapest price and will pay cash

get the best price you can elsewhere and ask BPH to price match or beat it......

i went last week, showed thai driving licence as id for name and they just said oh your a resident gave me the card and regitered it on computer. i think it was 10% off treatment but was definatly 15% of meds. But reading your stories about tuk tuks,, maybe you dont have driving licence so maybe a non o or retirement visa. I should be going back in 3 days to get more meds but will get from fasino and check how much i was ripped off even with the 15%. Si Racha not to far.

Edit: get well soon love the food reviews.

Edited by marstons

BPH SUCKS... I have insurance through my work and it is cheaper for me to go to Pattaya International Hospital AND NOT USE MY INSURANCE than to go to BPH and use the insurance.

Edited by Rimmer
Unnecessarily vitriolic

Hi Jingthing - you are in a good position because you don't need emergency surgery. As suggested get other quotes in Chonburi province and Bangkok then throw out the high ones. Take these to your surgeon and negotiate with him to keep costs down and he may do just that. If it is emergency surgery they know you need it now and you tend to get hammered on the pricing. The pricing tiers are definitely in place but you want to get the best surgeon at the lowest tier and price.

If perscription drugs are needed don't buy at the hospital, Fascino is much cheaper.

Good luck

Many of the doctors and surgeons at BPH also work at other hospitals and clinics. If you have identified a couple of surgeons whom you can trust to do a good job, tell them you can't afford BPH prices and ask whether they can do the same procedure at another location.

Why don't you try Pacharat Hospital in Petchaburi. They have very modern equipment and good doctors, half the cost of BGH for example. I

Had prostate surgery there and kindney stone removal. If it is heart problem University Hospital Chiangmai is very cheap. Neither overcharge expats.

I dont have problems with the top tier hospitals pricing here, as long as you are getting top tier doctors, such that are available at Bumrungrad,Samitivej and a few others in BKK...Prob with BPH is they just dont have the quality Dr.'s that are available only 2 hrs away and charge the same or more money. I prefer Bumrungrad and have been very happy there the last 10 yrs. That being said, find the best Dr. first and then look at the hospital where he works 2nd. I would contact to Sheryl on the Health thread on TVisa as she is very helpful in seeking out Dr.s and hospitals for specific procedures

Edited by ericg1953

Many of the doctors and surgeons at BPH also work at other hospitals and clinics. If you have identified a couple of surgeons whom you can trust to do a good job, tell them you can't afford BPH prices and ask whether they can do the same procedure at another location.

This is a very good hospitol but 3-4 hours from the OP.....although depending on savings and the time span of follow ups, maybe he could stay there and still save some

I recommend Queen Sirikit Navy hospital in Siracha. It is right on Sukhimvit road so easy to take bus if you don't have a car. I had cancer operation there at 1/3 the cost of BPH with same doctors.

Hi Jingthing - you are in a good position because you don't need emergency surgery. As suggested get other quotes in Chonburi province and Bangkok then throw out the high ones. Take these to your surgeon and negotiate with him to keep costs down and he may do just that. If it is emergency surgery they know you need it now and you tend to get hammered on the pricing. The pricing tiers are definitely in place but you want to get the best surgeon at the lowest tier and price.

If perscription drugs are needed don't buy at the hospital, Fascino is much cheaper.

Good luck

Fascino is not cheap. Chinese pharmacies like East West (Soi 13) Skumvit are 1/2 to 2/3 cheaper than Fascino

"try the expat clubs in Pattaya, as I recall one of them has an incentive in place with BHP"

Get a lifetime membership card from Pattaya Expats Club (not PCEC) at their Sunday Mercure Hotel meeting - 600 Baht for lifetime membership. Entitles you to various percentage discounts at BPH (10% on meds for instance) - other discounts on rooms and some procedures.

Have the card registered in the BPH computer -- not sure they engage in tiered pricing, but this will establish your "local" status.

Card is also usable for discounts at over 200 establishments around town - restaurants, etc.

I recommend Queen Sirikit Navy hospital in Siracha. It is right on Sukhimvit road so easy to take bus if you don't have a car. I had cancer operation there at 1/3 the cost of BPH with same doctors.

Do you mean the Sirikit Navy Hospital in Sattahip? I know there is a Sirikit hospital in Sriracha which is first turning left off Sukumvit if travelling from Pattaya. I didn't know that was a Naval hospital at Sriracha. My Children were born there. I registered with Sattahip Naval Hospital a few years ago and you are correct about the pricing. Good doctors too.

CCFC1

Do you mean the Sirikit Navy Hospital in Sattahip? I know there is a Sirikit hospital in Sriracha which is first turning left off Sukumvit if travelling from Pattaya. I didn't know that was a Naval hospital at Sriracha. My Children were born there. I registered with Sattahip Naval Hospital a few years ago and you are correct about the pricing. Good doctors too.

CCFC1

Is'int that one called Samitivej ?

Edited by LennyW

About 6 years ago a Dutch lady I knew had surgery at the navy hospital Sattahip cost her 25,000B & she was very happy with the treatment and success of the operation, she was quoted 200,000B by BPH. for the same op. Many of the Dr at Navy Hosp also work at BPH....

Edited by Rimmer

CCFC1

Over the years I have heard many favorable reports on the Navy Hospital in Sattahip. That would be my first choice in the Pattaya area.

Over the years I have heard many favorable reports on the Navy Hospital in Sattahip. That would be my first choice in the Pattaya area.

If you use the Naval hospital don't underestimate the possible language difficulties. You may well need the services of a Thai speaker. This is an important consideration.

If you use the Naval hospital don't underestimate the possible language difficulties. You may well need the services of a Thai speaker. This is an important consideration.

Good point.

Also, don't expect to be greeted at the door by 3 or more beauties in high heels (yes, I know this is unlikely to influence JT's decision).

Some good suggestions here. Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, I am in no rush. I do however seriously doubt BPH will "match or beat" any lowest price you can present to them. That isn't the BPH that I know!

you do not know until you ask

it is the BPH i know, its a business like any other

discounts are available

i got a double stenting job down from 925,000 on insurance to 320,000 cash for a friend

not just talk either, it was featured in a story in the Pattaya Today years ago.........

Surely if you live in Thailand you should learn to speak Thai. It has huge advantages if you do