Documents For Retirement Extension At Pattaya/Jompthien

Does anyone know for certain just what documentation Chonburi Immigration at Jompthien currently requires for an extension based on retirement?

I have currently prepared:-

Current Income Certification letter from UK Consulate - original and one copy.

Passport - data page, current visa and re-entry stamps, TM 6, latest entry stamp - 2 copies.

TM7 - 2 copies, photos attached and spare photos available if needed.

Proof of address - ToT phone bill - original and one copy.

I will also have available:-

Letter from my bank, which I shall obtain the day before applying to Immigration - original and one copy.

Copy of up-dated bank pass-book - original and one copy.

As backup - should not be needed:-

Copies of original documentation submitted to the UK Consulate when obtaining the Income Letter.

Copies of bank statements showing funds transfer to my Thai bank, which will match with the pass-book records.

Anything that I might have forgotten? This is my 7th retirement extension - never seem to have any trouble with it but I do like to be properly prepared so, if any BM has recently extended, on the basis of retirement, please let me know just what Immigration required from you.

Thanks,

DM

Thanks, doctormann, a useful checklist for me as a fellow Brit in preparing for my next annual retirement extension of stay application to Maptaput Immigration in a few weeks time. Just one thing: have Jomtien in the past insisted on a bank letter in addition to the Embassy/Consulate POI one? At Maptaput last year I was told that my Embassy POI letter would be sufficient, and plan to take a chance on this still being the case this year. Obtaining the bank letter last year required a good hour of my time at Bangkok Bank's Rayong branch, whereas I was subsequently in and out at Maptaput with stamped extension in passport in 15 mins!

You'll need photocopies of ALL previous extension stamps that are in your passport. Otherwise good.

Really? Is that new? Have been doing retirement extensions at Jomtien for years and unless that is a new thing, I don't believe it.

Thanks, doctormann, a useful checklist for me as a fellow Brit in preparing for my next annual retirement extension of stay application to Maptaput Immigration in a few weeks time. Just one thing: have Jomtien in the past insisted on a bank letter in addition to the Embassy/Consulate POI one? At Maptaput last year I was told that my Embassy POI letter would be sufficient, and plan to take a chance on this still being the case this year. Obtaining the bank letter last year required a good hour of my time at Bangkok Bank's Rayong branch, whereas I was subsequently in and out at Maptaput with stamped extension in passport in 15 mins!

If you're relying just on your monthly income, proof of that is sufficient. When I got a retirement extension at Maptaphut earlier this year, I didn't show any bank account info. What I did find useful was my own summary of monthly figures, as the Consulate chose to aggregate these into an annual figure and used the phrase "per annum" in the letter, which the IO at Maptaphut clearly didn't understand. I don't know why they did this, as the requirement is to show a monthly figure, and next year I'll be having words. The IO accepted my summary without hesitation.

In Phuket, you need your monthly income in Baht. The Canadian Embassy was happy to comply with my last income letter.

Previously I had the volunteer immigration concierge dude do the conversion with my iPhone currency converter and that was acceptable to the immigration officer.

It always has to be converted to baht but normally the processing officer will take care of that by asking or consulting an exchange rate table and using calculator. As the exchange rate changes daily there is no way an Embassy can say what your income will be on a future date in baht.

You'll need photocopies of ALL previous extension stamps that are in your passport. Otherwise good.

If you're relying just on your monthly income, proof of that is sufficient. When I got a retirement extension at Maptaphut earlier this year, I didn't show any bank account info. What I did find useful was my own summary of monthly figures, as the Consulate chose to aggregate these into an annual figure and used the phrase "per annum" in the letter, which the IO at Maptaphut clearly didn't understand. I don't know why they did this, as the requirement is to show a monthly figure, and next year I'll be having words. The IO accepted my summary without hesitation.

Thanks for all the replies- looks as though I'm good to go.

I'm not sure about needing copies of all previous extension stamps. This would basically mean copying the whole passport. I did do this on one occasion a couple of years ago and was just given back most of the pages as the officer clearly wasn't interested in them. I think that I'll take a chance on this - if they need more there is a copying facility next door to the Immigration building that I can use.

I'm not sure about the bank letter either but I'll probably get one anyway. In the past they have always been interested to see some movement of funds through a Thai bank account so I have always provided a copy of my passbook, updated the day before application. It's easy enough to get a letter from them at the same time - should be free but always seems to cost 200 Baht!

Thanks,

DM

Below are the current requirements for an extension as listed on the Pattaya City Expats Club website. They keep up to date on any changes.

A Bank letter is no longer needed if you're using the Embassy income verification letter.

1. Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom, TM.7 – one original.

2. One photograph – 4cm x 6 cm (if needed there is a photo/copy shop next door to the Chonburi Immigration office that opens at 8am – Immigration opens at 8:30am)

3. Passport (original) with at least 6 months remaining validity

4. Photocopy of passport pages (one copy)

a. Identity page(s) showing holder’s picture, name, and date issued, etc.

b. Page showing the Non-Immigrant Visa [if the applicant is applying on the basis of being a former Thai national or whose parent(s) are/were Thai nationals, this may be the page showing a Tourist Visa if that was used for entry into Thailand].

c. Page(s) showing each subsequent one year extension, if applicable

d. Page showing the last entry stamp into Thailand

5. Photocopy of Departure Card, TM.6 (this card is usually stapled in your passport upon arrival)

NOTE: Each photocopy needs to have your original signature on it – in Thailand, this is deemed to be your certification that it is a true copy of the original.

OK, everything sorted yesterday.

Chonburi Immigration at Jompthien were very efficient - I turned up there at the crack of dawn and my retirement extension was done by 09:00. I went back at 14:30 to collect my passport and then had ample time to do the re-entry permit thing and also a 90-day report.

My extension was done on the basis of pension income alone but I did obtain a letter from my bank, which I took with me, along with a copy of the updated account passbook. I'm still not sure that the bank letter was strictly necessary but Immigration happily took it off me anyway. The rest of the documentation was as detailed in my original post. No additional proof of anything was required and they didn't want duplicate copies of documents either.

For the re-entry permit, one passport copy is required but this needs to be updated with the new stamp from the extension process. This is easy to arrange as there is a copying facility adjacent to the Immigration office (5฿/page).

There seems to be a new requirement for the 90-day extension. Now, we have to supply a passport copy - data page, latest visa stamp, last entry stamp and TM6. Also some proof of address - I use a ToT bill.

DM

There seems to be a new requirement for the 90-day extension. Now, we have to supply a passport copy - data page, latest visa stamp, last entry stamp and TM6. Also some proof of address - I use a ToT bill.

Do you mean extensions of stay for one year (or in general)? Believe one year is what you received if for retirement.

Do you mean extensions of stay for one year (or in general)? Believe one year is what you received if for retirement.

I believe he is talking about what is required for 90 day ADDRESS REPORTS at Jomtien, and yes, those are the current requirements for ADDRESS REPORTS at Jomtien. Edited by Jingthing

There was some news this morning in today's Pattaya Expats Club newsletter. Here is exactly what was stated in the newsletter:

post-34982-0-96699900-1340417343_thumb.j

News... Chonburi Immigration (Jomtien) has informed us that if someone wishes to use rental income, or private income/investment as part of their finances, to extend their long-term visa (e.g. Retirement extension), they will need to provide proof of the income shown coming into their bank account (either home-country, or Thailand).

They must show their lease/rental contracts and bank statements to UK Consul to obtain support letter - and later make them available to Immigration staff if requested during extension application. (Original documents are always required, either sent out to your home address or printed off from the bank's website). Both Immigration & UK Consulate MAY require a COPY of these documents.

Nothing new in that I can see - UK has always required proof for letter and immigration has always had option to ask for supporting documents. The only clarification may be the need for money trail into a bank account held by applicant somewhere if not an official government pension type statement.

Original documents are always required, either sent out to your home address or printed off from the bank's website.

I guess with the push to go "paperless," redefining "original document" as one printed from a website has a certain creative ring to it. Not too sure all bureaucrats would be on board with this, however.....

How would immigration know if the income source is pension or from something like rental income? I'm asking because I never had an embassy letter. Do embassy letters specify what TYPE of income this is? I disagree that this is trivial news. They have always had the right to ask for more info about what's in the income letter but if its going to be more common and required for certain classes of income, that's real news.

I've used the US Embassy Income Verification Letter for 7 years -- Neither the Embassy nor Thai Immigration have ever asked any questions about source of income or pension or anything else.

I was told personally by the Asst. US Consul General that the letter was agreed to several years ago with Thai Immigration after the US told them that the Embassy had no way of verifying income or pensions of its citizens. He told me the Embassy couldn't care less about source or amount of income, they simply take your word for it.

Here is the US Embassy form:

http://www.thaivisa....ttach_id=135950

Chonburi Immigration at Jompthien were very efficient - I turned up there at the crack of dawn and my retirement extension was done by 09:00. I went back at 14:30 to collect my passport and then had ample time to do the re-entry permit thing and also a 90-day report.

DM

Do you have to do a 90 day report on the day you get your extension?

The 90 day report will need to be done at 90 days irrespective of the day of the extension. You can do it on another day if you like, but it's more convenient to do it on the same day.

Edited by tropo

...The issue is Chonburi immigration says they now want more evidence, even of INCOME FLOW for non-pension income! ...

Not quite. This weeks news and notices posted by Niels Colov in the Pattaya ExpatsClub newsletter says that Chonburi immigration has informed them that if someone wishes to use rental income, or private income/investment as part of their finances, to extend their long-term visa (e.g. Retirement extension)...they must show their lease/rental contracts and bank statements to UK Consul to obtain support letter - and later make them available to Immigration staff if requested during extension application.

Fact 1: Immigration has no control over what the UK consul requires.

Fact 2: Immigration MAY request to see the income documents (This in nothing new; it has always been an option for immigration)

I took this language to NOT only be about UK nationals:

Chonburi Immigration (Jomtien) has informed us that if someone wishes to use rental income, or private income/investment as part of their finances, to extend their long-term visa (e.g. Retirement extension), they will need to provide proof of the income shown coming into their bank account (either home-country, or Thailand).

So based on that I read it differently. (More literally?)

Of course I know perfectly well that immigration has always had the option of asking for more documentation of anyone of what's claimed in income letters. I totally agree that is not new.

Maybe you'll admit the language in that paragraph is rather weird. Immigration informs us that the embassies/consulates need more proof. As we know, immigration has NO CONTROL over what embassies/consulates need to accept as proof. It depends on what your embassy/consulate decides to require.

I accept your reading. I still think the language is weird given the actual realities about what different embassies/consulates actually do require.

If your reading is correct of the actual intent of Chonburi immigration, then I agree, nothing very new or major.

But I wouldn't be very surprised either if this is a "lost in translation" situation and something more significant may possibly be brewing (regarding proof).

Edited by Jingthing

DM

Cruncher,

It just happened, in my case, that my 90-day report was due at the same time that I did my retirement extension. This was purely coincidental - normally there is no correlation between the dates. They may start off in step, so to speak, but will generally drift apart, depending on just when you do your reporting and on whether or not you leave Thailand and return - in which case the 90-day period starts again on the day of your re-entry.

DM

Thanks DM and Tropo.

I now presume the 90 day report is due 90 days from your last entry into Thailand on the non-O visa. I would have jumped to the wrong conslusion by assuming it was 90 days from the date you got the extension. I will be doing my first extension in a few months and could have made a nasty mistake.

Thanks again.

I took this language to NOT only be about UK nationals: ...

But I wouldn't be very surprised either if this is a "lost in translation" situation and something more significant may possibly be brewing (regarding proof).

I took the references to somebody called Barry and to the UK consulate to mean that it is only about UK nationals, but since this news arrived like a Chinese Whispers game I see a 99% probability that something got lost in translation: immigration told Barry, Barry told Niels Colov, Niels Colov posted in the newsletter.

In any case, if people experience anything "odd" in questioning at immigration about proof of income in addition to their letter, please report it here and then we might really see if there is a substantive change in policy.