What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard from a friend who lives in the South Pattaya area. He says the hotel nearby is opening a new gym and it is being fitted out now. It's located in the PRS Hotel. I have never heard of it, nor do i know exactly where or what they gym is like but my friend said that it seems to be going in the right direction, even if it is not fully fitted yet.

Thought I'd just mention it in case anyone wants to google the location and check it out.

i have been there it actually is a pretty good gym and been going to it.

Problem is it has zero Air conditioning and hardly any fans, just open windows right now. I am 175 pounds and 6 feet, and I sweat like a race horse in the gym, so hot that when I put my sunglassess on after the gym they steam up:)

However I like the gym and am dealing with it, but for a larger set person, this might be a tough one

from what i hear the owner of the gym didnt put the AC in because they thought it looked better with out, which seems kind of silly. However they are looking into it.

250 a day, 2500 a month, 15000 about a year

pool yes- not huge but yes

sauna yes

At those prices with no airconditioning and few fans you'll have no problems with crowds.

When my friend checked it out, he was told that the air cons were "being installed" and he confirmed that there appear to be some works going on in this regard. But, I think better wait till it is all up and running.

In the north side of town, there are already posts re: Fairtex, Centara, Dusit. I discovered another OK-ish hotel gym. It is located in Zign Hotel in Naklua Soi 12. Quiet gym, lots of space, not crowded and OK equipment. Best thing is they have staff to help when I was struggling to up my weights. Compared to Centara/Dusit, it is only thb 8k for 15 months (current promo).

In the north side of town, there are already posts re: Fairtex, Centara, Dusit. I discovered another OK-ish hotel gym. It is located in Zign Hotel in Naklua Soi 12. Quiet gym, lots of space, not crowded and OK equipment. Best thing is they have staff to help when I was struggling to up my weights. Compared to Centara/Dusit, it is only thb 8k for 15 months (current promo).

Could you be more specific about the equipment available at Zign Hotel.

I just re-read the May article in Nation talking about the re-financing of CA Wow. What was interesting it stated that the company had a 75.87 million baht debt; however the sales were worth 1 billion baht. To me, it seems like there would have been plentyof time to get expenses in order a few years ago. So, makes one wonder if there was some skimming off the top...

As a CaliWow member, I'm just wondering what the other members are doing for exercise? I'm going up the wall but doing a lot of cycling. I've invited all members to do a Pratumnak hill climb with me every 2nd day starting Wednesday morning (see other thread).

I recommend you link the other thread to this thread so you get more response.

I'm currently roughing it at another gym. I took out a 1 month membership to keep me going until we find out what's going to happen with California Wow.

Good luck with your group walks. Sounds like a good plan.

As a CaliWow member, I'm just wondering what the other members are doing for exercise? I'm going up the wall but doing a lot of cycling. I've invited all members to do a Pratumnak hill climb with me every 2nd day starting Wednesday morning (see other thread).

I recommend you link the other thread to this thread so you get more response.

I'm currently roughing it at another gym. I took out a 1 month membership to keep me going until we find out what's going to happen with California Wow.

Good luck with your group walks. Sounds like a good plan.

Walk and talk exercise group:

California is doing a horrible job of keeping their members and employees informed

http://gotbangkok.co...-its-customers/

With regards to the Pattaya branch, there is no communication at all. This is why we need to kiss it goodbye and move on. If they had any intention of starting up again they would at the very least leave a notice on the door, wouldn't they?

They've been closed for 2 weeks this time around, so the only way to save members from joining up elsewhere would have been to inform them - which they haven't.

Goodbye California Wow.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Marriot was asking really high prices when I visited them a week or so ago. It was early days of uncertainty after CAWOW's closure. Now perhaps they are sure that CAWOW's members are ripe for picking. I just saw an ad: they are offering 50% off their memberships and from memory that makes them competitive with the likes of Dusit and Centara.

Just some more info for CAWOW orphans out there.

Marriot was asking really high prices when I visited them a week or so ago. It was early days of uncertainty after CAWOW's closure. Now perhaps they are sure that CAWOW's members are ripe for picking. I just saw an ad: they are offering 50% off their memberships and from memory that makes them competitive with the likes of Dusit and Centara.

Just some more info for CAWOW orphans out there.

Wouldn't you be upset if you joined up yesterday for 38K?

They're not really worth even half of that. The equipment is pretty aged and they have a very limited number of cardio machines. It just doesn't have that 20k gym feel about it... however, for anyone wanting to go the hotel gym route, they have a pretty good free weight selection for an hotel gym... unfortunately there's no squat rack.

Edited by tropo

I was hoping this would go unnoticed,its tiny,4 pieces of equipment,1 of them out of order,few weights,not a hope in hell of sustaining more than a couple using the gym.I used it twice,but the problem is it was open to the ex pats,who today have had their use of free wi fi removed,likewise the gym and pool facilities will be removed now through becoming too popular

Thanks for the report. I shall strike it off my list.

wise decision its very basic, i am in expat club but still paid for Fairtex.

I got my life membership in February 2010 and although I am disappointed now,it was worthwhile for less than 4000 baht a year

I live in a condo two minutes walking from Ca Wow Pattaya and hope some company take care the business also If I'll pay on yearly basis ,no more life membership but it is the same rate of only one year.....

They'll probably be a truck load of ex California Wow members signing up for life time at Tony's on Saturday which will make it even more difficult for any competitor to come in and take up the slack. If they had any intentions of starting up again they've already missed the boat.

It's a difficult decision. It's a gamble. Even if good, could you face a lifetime at Tony's?

Just so you are informed: The new Buakow branch which would be my local is NOT air conditioned.

Thanks for that - that was my last hope but I really don't fancy cardio sessions w/out Air Con - looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and join Centara.

The new Buakow branch which would be my local is NOT air conditioned.

How can you say that? It's not yet open!

BTW we can see air-con boxes outside the new building, but will they put them ON during daytime?

BTW we can see air-con boxes outside the new building, but will they put them ON during daytime?

Where exactly on Soi Buakhao is this new gym? Why is everyone talking about it? Is there going to be something special about it?

Where exactly on Soi Buakhao is this new gym? Why is everyone talking about it? Is there going to be something special about it?

At the Buakow night market. New = good? It's also close to where I live...

"New = good". Not with Tony. He's opening new gyms all the time but they're all bad. The plastic tent gym (Sport World) was supposed to amaze us. No one is amazed.

I'm just asking about this new one he's setting up on Soi Buakhao because some people seem to be getting excited about it.

Edited by tropo

"New = good". Not with Tony. He's opening new gyms all the time but they're all bad. The plastic tent gym (Sport World) was supposed to amaze us. No one is amazed.

I'm just asking about this new one he's setting up on Soi Buakhao because some people seem to be getting excited about it.

Trained at the plastic tent gym today and because it wasnt sunny it was not too hot in there. There also seemed to be more people in there than usual. They also had more AC units working than usual.

Having said that the place is getting more run down everytime I go in. Zero spent on any maintenance.

If i was here all year i would pay for one of the hotel gyms or Fairtex.

The Gym is in a new building that looks nice. I would guess the construction is 90% finished and definitely isn't a tent. I assume he will have AC and they will be new units. IMO this will be a nice gym but time will tell.

I just went to his Jomtien gym and was pleasantly surprised. I went there 14 months ago and it was awful. No AC and dirty. A member told me they got a new manager and he or she is doing a great job. It is clean and the times that the AC is turned on are posted. I think it was from 8 am to 9 pm. It isn't hard core but has an OK selection of free weights and cardio equipment on 2nd and 3rd floor. It is his busiest club because of the way it being managed.

If he would just fire the Thai lady managing 3rd road and have the person managing the Jomtien club take care of both, I would be extremely happy. Won't happen and 3rd road is going to keep on its downward trend. I could deal with the disgusting bathrooms if he would just replace the ancient AC units which would probably pay for itself in a years time. The units he has now can't be cheap to run.

Edited by siamamerican