Going To Penang

my wife and i want to fly down to penang to apply for a o marriage visa as mentioned in an earlier thread.

question - do i need a visa from the maylasian consulat to get into malysia? or can i get a transit visa at the border.

just a quick update on our findings. we called penang thai consular today and they said that all you need is 5000 bht/family book/id card/marriage cert./passport/2 photos.

when we asked about not having to go outside thailand every 3 months they said we would have to go to our local imagration office to ask.

when we asked about weither i needed money in the bank they said no - just bring the documents. this seems to have changed slightly? i always thought you needed money in bank but now apparently you don't - at least that is what the consulate said.

fatty

Some fat bald farangs will need a visa but most can enter Malaysia as Thailand with entry free permit. You receive a stamp at border or airport and wife will receive the same (although perhaps fewer weeks).

The procedure is correct - you will receive a single or multi entry non immigrant O visa based on marriage. You can then just use that to stay in Thailand with border crossings every 90 days or less or you can go to an immigration office inside Thailand to extend your stay for one year at a time. That is when you will have to show money in the bank/income.

Remember to allow time - visa request in morning 9-12 and out the next working day after 2 PM. Have a nice trip. Georgetown is fun to walk/pedicab around - especially at dusk.

National UNITED KINGDOM (GREAT BRITAIN) (GB)                 

Destination MALAYSIA (MY)     

MALAYSIA (MY)

Passport required (must be valid at least 6 months beyond

period of stay).

Visa not required (irrespective of endorsement in passport

regarding national status) for a stay of max. 2 months.

Visitor must hold:

- return or onward ticket; and

- sufficient funds (at least USD 500.-).

In case necessary, passengers must be able to purchase a ticket

to the country for which they hold a valid entry document.

In all cases, if the passenger holds an APEC Business Travel

Card: visa not required provided the back of the card states

that it is valid for travel to Malaysia. On arrival a visit

pass will be issued.

Admission refused to:

- foreign ladies, who are in advanced state of pregnancy, i.e.

6 months or more;

- visitors, who do not comply with the requirements regarding

general appearance and clothing, e.g. "hippies".

Minors: up to/incl. 15 years may be included in accompanying

adult's passport.

Non-compliance with the entry regulations may result in

deportation of passenger to country of origin for account of

transporting carrier.

Timaticweb Version 1.3

28 January 2004

Looks like your good to go. The following URL is great for finding passport information fast:Delta Travel Information

Guest IT Manager

Stay at the white house hotel. It is very cheap, staff are good and they have a bookstore downstairs.

Naturally your wife will be convinced you re kee nio also.

actually i.t. manager i have bought 4 privilege cards and have pinned them on my wall to improve my game of darts.. i heard they are going to issue privilege cards with pics of thai politicians.. now perhaps i can get the full set.. my wife is prone to using them as beer mats.

the fat man (two beers later)