How Dangerous Is It To Drive Alone In The Country?

I have driven over 15,000km whilst living here in LOS, but always with my wife or another Thai speaking person in the car with me.

I live south of Kanchanaburi by about 110km, and have made some new golfing friends who are constantly inviting me to have a few rounds.

Problem.....wife.....she says that it is too dangerous for me to drive that far by myself because:-

: I am not yet able to speak Thai

: There are bad people out there that will deliberately collide with me and steal my car

: There are bad people out there that will highjack my car and put a bullet in the back of my head

: The police are corrupt and will lock me away etc. etc.

I have told her that if I have any trouble, I have my mobile and will call her.

I have searched previous threads and found nothing to confirm my wife's fears.

Now her sister is also agreeing with her that it is not safe for me to drive by myself. The wife insists on me taking one of my nephews (30 years old) as protection.

My wife says she is genuinely concerned for my safety..........is she being over the top or is there justification for her fears.

Please only serious answers, and no need to call me soft cock or anything similar (hence why I chose this forum as opposed to General).

Cheers.

Is she concerned about the Burmese element at all? I have found the Thais very "windy" as far as the Burmese are concerned lol. I have travelled extensively in those areas and have never had a problem!

There were a couple of incidences with tourists which were v. unpleasant involving a policeman. Another British girl in 1996 was murdered by a monk.. but these are isolated incidences.

I have always felt safe up there and I am sure her fears are unfounded. I find her concern rather endearing myself and taking along a young Thai would actually make the trip more pleasurable for you.

You'll be right mate! Enjoy!

Edited by edwinclapham
  • Like 2

I don't think its more dangerous driving alone here than other parts of the world.

I don't like driving after dark, drunk drivers are out and some carry a gun in the car.

Have you considered window film on your car so they can't see who & how many are in the car?

• Like 1

Thanks Eddie and guzz, I agree about driving at night....too scary, bikes with no lights, tractors no lights, drunks etc......so I do avoid driving at night.

Yes I do have 60% tint on the windows so it is very difficult to see in.

She didn't specify about Burmese, just saying that drugs in the country are becoming more prevalent amongst the younger population and as in western culture they revert to crime to subsidise their drug habits.

The hardest part is convincing the wife that I will be Ok, don't want to start a fight with her.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I get the same from my wife as well. She's scared of many things in Thailand, and not particularly well-travelled, and likes to repeat old stories heard third hand. She is genuinely concerned for my welfare, so I do take her comments seriously and am sure a number of things could happen, but it's as likely to happen here are many other places in the world. Driving at night probably adds significantly more to the risk. I've now driven over 100,000 km on Thai roads all over the country (sometimes alone, sometimes with farang friends, sometimes my wife) and not yet had any problems. Drunk drivers and others overtaking on blind bends must surely be the biggest risk. So with additional people in the car that makes no difference, except maybe even more get injured! Hard to explain to my wife about relative risk.

Edited by Artamus

Consider this mate; she may well be messing with your mind because she doesn't want you jaunting off alone with buddies in case you find a nice new bit of fluff somewhere. Its not dangerous driving alone in Thailand, just go and enjoy yourself mate.

I agree mate, I done 500,000 kls here over the last 12 years and never a problem. In fact if i am pulled over by police for whatever reason it is always more of a problem if i have a Thai person in the car. The police will yak yak to them and intimidate them to try and get a hand out, but when i'm on my own, No problem at all as i don't speak Thai and 90% of the time i'm told to go after they inspect my Licence. Go play golf as i do anywhere in Thailand and enjoy the freedom.
  • Like 1

the ability to research your route prior to departure and/or having GPS much more accessible really makes it easy to drive to most places.

Personally I don't like driving to places for the first time in the dark but that's an eyesight, dark unknown roads/bends/foibles type of thing rather than a danger thing.

I've walked over 2km down dark streets late at night to get to my "hotel" in that area and never got shot or even bitten by the numerous barking dogs!

I'm another who has driven alone here for many years. Back in the days when I was working in BKK and Sattahip/U-Tapao I drove to and from Udon Thani to those locations every month day or night. OK, marginally more dangerous that driving in my home country but after 11 years so far so good, keep vigilant and as someone else eluded too not being able to speak or understand Thai can be a bonus.

Think your wifey, if she thinks like mine, will be thinking about the ladies chasing you. smile.png

As for driving, just use your loaf, the same as you would in any country but avoid night runs in case you have a vehicle prob or accident to deal with.

She doesn't want you driving around and having the opportunity to meet girls.

There is no danger, she is just trying to control you.

I used to travel all over the place before I could speak Thai, on a m/c.

Flat tyres, running out of petrol ....... never needed to speak Thai ..... started pushing the bike, a Thai person always stopped to help.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Think your wifey, if she thinks like mine, will be thinking about the ladies chasing you. smile.png

As for driving, just use your loaf, the same as you would in any country but avoid night runs in case you have a vehicle prob or accident to deal with.

Yes but she won't come out and admit it, still sticks with the safety issue of being mugged etc. I am cured of driving at night, only in an emergency, as I mentioned before, out here in the sticks tractors getting home without any lights do not come off second best if you are unfortunate enough to get tangled up with one.

• Like 1

If you were on a motorbike in the countryside, i'd be inclined to believe her in part, but as you're not, go for it. I can't see a problem other than things mentioned already, such as drunk drivers. Keep your wits about you, as we all need to do on Thai roads anyway, and enjoy your golf.

• Like 1

Just tell her that one of your friends is coming with you (therefore not alone) and i bet her stance will still be the same after giving you some weird and wonderful story why that is no good !

Just man up and tell her whats what 15.gif

I have driven to Phuket, Burma, Cambodia, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Roi Et all on my own and never encountered a problem except for a recent accident.

Is it dangerous? No. Why should it be? If there is an accident or incident there is always someone on the other end of the phone I can ring to help out if I ever need it. A bit of the old common sense and general precautions never go amiss of course.

I used to have all this talk of it being dangerous to be out alone or driving alone but I feel that was more to keep me tied down and have a lot less freedom. It used to be the same when i wanted to go to the pub on my own.

Half the time they are worried you might be off hooking up with some other woman or that one will get her hooks into you while you are away from home. A few soothing words and a few phone calls back to the SO usually help.

Go for it. The freedom is great :)

You are not being a soft cock either. Sounds to me like you are genuinely after serious answers. Here, you have one :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the support guys, still have to convince the wife though.

Bite the bullet. Go for it and tell her she can phone you at any time to assure her you are alone. When you return home safely and give her a big hug and tell her you missed her she will be happier and maybe easier to go next time.

• Like 1

I have driven from Chumphon to Phato on several occasions, I have only ever been pulled over by the cops once, when the poor cop saw a white man driving the car his mouth opened and closed a few times, but no words came out, he then waved me on, otherwise no problems both while alone and in company.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Nothing wrong w driving alone. I always drive w farang friends, my farang wife who is obviously no help or alone for a few years now. Police stopped at a checkpoint once small payment and go. Personally i would be uncomfortable where my wife is not comfortable with me going out in the big bad world alone. Your abig boy, be a man and do it. If you have to ask your wife for permission to do something thats a bit strange.

Sent from my GT-P6200L using Thaivisa Connect App

all you have to do is drive the same way as the thai do and they will never know your farang , this is what i do every time i get into my car when going out and about.

Personally I have trouble doing that, but maybe that's just me and my silly westernised concepts of common sense and self-preservation.

I'll agree that a certain level of courtesy goes out the window though, if it doesn't Thai drivers will smell a weakness and exploit it.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong w driving alone. I always drive w farang friends, my farang wife who is obviously no help or alone for a few years now. Police stopped at a checkpoint once small payment and go. Personally i would be uncomfortable where my wife is not comfortable with me going out in the big bad world alone. Your abig boy, be a man and do it. If you have to ask your wife for permission to do something thats a bit strange.

Not so much a case of having to ask permission.

Many Thai women are understandably wary of her man going it alone for a variety of reasons.

They know there are many women out there who would love to have a foreigner of their own and a man alone is prey to them. Then there are so many rumours and stories about of what happens to foreigners alone out there in big bad Thailand. Granted most of these stories are untrue but are perpetuated amongst the women. Add to that the thought of and risk of an accident where the foreigner can speak little or no Thai and that adds to the concern, especially if you have an accident out in the outback of Thailand where they speak little or no English.

Many genuine Thai women have genuine concerns that to us seem unfounded because we are men of the world so it is not wrong of the OP to take his SO's fears into account. When you love someone you think of the too, it is a natural consideration unless you are selfish.

Yes, there is the other side to the coin where the woman is trying to keep you under wraps and also making sure you do not stray or play about. They want you to have a chaperone.

It is up to us to decide on balance what our SO's motives are and take it from there.

• Like 2

Consider this mate; she may well be messing with your mind because she doesn't want you jaunting off alone with buddies in case you find a nice new bit of fluff somewhere. Its not dangerous driving alone in Thailand, just go and enjoy yourself mate.

+1

I have driven and ridden all over Thailand except the deep south by myself. Never had a problem.

Keep the right documents in your car and you should be fine.

The paranoia about travelling alone by many Thais really surprises me.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Many Thai women are understandably wary of her man going it alone for a variety of reasons.

They know there are many women out there who would love to have a foreigner of their own and a man alone is prey to them. Then there are so many rumours and stories about of what happens to foreigners alone out there in big bad Thailand. Granted most of these stories are untrue but are perpetuated amongst the women. Add to that the thought of and risk of an accident where the foreigner can speak little or no Thai and that adds to the concern, especially if you have an accident out in the outback of Thailand where they speak little or no English.

Many genuine Thai women have genuine concerns that to us seem unfounded because we are men of the world so it is not wrong of the OP to take his SO's fears into account. When you love someone you think of the too, it is a natural consideration unless you are selfish.

Yes, there is the other side to the coin where the woman is trying to keep you under wraps and also making sure you do not stray or play about. They want you to have a chaperone.

It is up to us to decide on balance what our SO's motives are and take it from there.

Thankyou for that pattayadingo, you described my situation down to a tee, could not have said it better myself......and I do not want to act selfish towards the one I love.

I neither need nor want a dark cloud hanging over my relationship due to my selfishness.

• Like 1

Thankyou for that pattayadingo, you described my situation down to a tee, could not have said it better myself......and I do not want to act selfish towards the one I love.

I neither need nor want a dark cloud hanging over my relationship due to my selfishness.

But she must learn to trust, as you obviously do. smile.png
  • Like 2

No problem. It is obvious some of us love and care about the people we live with and why create problems when there is no need.

As the road signs say .....

Take Care And Get There :)

It is definitely a trust thing. My wife always tells me to take care when I make my frequent solo road trips but I always call when taking a 'piss stop' just to check in with her as she rightly thinks that driving long distance is risky, alone or otherwise. Most of my trips are overnight because I find the traffic much more manageable and she has accompanied me on a few of these so is quite happy with it. I would suggest that one of the OP's mates comes over for a beer or an overnight and then BOTH farangs head off for golf. If she isn't happy with that, then you may have to bite the bullet and confront her on her trust issues.