How To Register A New Samlor Kreuang/ Tuk Tuk?

I recently found a shop that builds samlor kreuangs / tuk tuks in That Phanom (for those that don't know the area) about halfway between Mukdahan and Nakhon Phanom in the northeast . I put down a 2,000 baht deposit on an 80,000 baht agreed purchase price to be completed by 10 Aug. I don't speak Thai well enough yet to carry on a conversation so most of my questions and answers had to be through my Thai wife and sometimes we don't understand each other. So when the answer to my question of "how do we get the vehicle registered"? was "oh the man say you don't need to register it" I thought maybe it's best that I ask around a bit. It's built with a refurbished 600 or 650cc Daihatsu engine if I understood correctly and has a 4 speed forward plus reverse transmission.

One of the workers at the shop there told me that a farang bought one and traveled all over Thailand in it and he didn't need to have it registered. I have my doubts about this and am hoping that someone on this forum has knowledge of how to drive one of these legally in Thailand. I'm also hoping to be able to drive through Laos and Vietnam to get over to the ocean.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Richard

PS I'm no computer wizard by far so hope the attached picture of what I'm talking about has come through.

post-148325-0-19090600-1341443426_thumb.

i heard the government do not want tuk tuk,s on the road any more and stopped registering new one's so i would check with owner's of tuk tuk's and find out before you spend anymore money

I bought a Brand New Samlor 3 years ago which was made in China. The asking price was 90,000 or 95,000 with registration. After 1 year of fighting with the seller/agent and the Registration Office with no success I demanded my extra 5000 I paid agent for registration and believe it or not I got it back.

You cannot now legally register them and DONT drive on the Highway or main roads.

Ship it to the UK and put it through the SVA test and register it there. Ship it back to Thailand and pay import tax at something like 300% on the purchase price, shipping costs etc. As long as this doesn't conflict with this new law on importing parts that nobody seems to fully understand. It will workout something like the cost of a new Honda Brio.

Either that or just drive it and pay farang sized tea money to the Police everytime they stop you.

I do have a Thai magazine that I bought a few years back that has an article about a company making these and it has a picture of someone holding a number plate and tax disc. One day I'll get my wife to translate it.

I have been told that a company needs a very large minimum investment to produce and register vehicles here and also been told an engineer can certify a vehicle for you, expected to start at 10,000B to do it and that was about all I was told. Whether or not any of that is true or not I have no idea.

RockerC,

That's the best news I've heard yet. What type and size engine do you have? Where are you located and which Provincial Land Transport Office did you use? With this knowledge I can tell my local office that yes it can be registered as other transport offices have done so and refer them to this office.

Thanks for this info.

Richard

Hi, I have a samlor, this was purchased from what would appear to be the same dealer.

I was not able to register this, but it was explained to me that if I had a business and could provide enough evidence then it may be possible, this information from the land transport office near Ekamai.

I also have a license for a trike and have been stopped in Pattaya twice in 4 years been fined 200 Baht on each occasion for not having a number plate, my Thai friend informed me that once they know who I am, have see I have a licence they will no longer bother me, this has been the case. Polar Bor insurance cost's around 550 Baht.

I have driven to Bang Na to collect a gearbox, Chonburi to collect an engine and box as well as many times to Satahip never a problem.

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Well here with the update on my samlor quest. On Sunday the 15th I found and purchased a samlor kreuang in Na Gae. It has a 1400cc Daihatsu 5 speed engine and can carry well over 1 ton of weight in the back (so I was told. Haven't loaded that much into it yet, only 4 people from the family). On Monday I got my Yellow House Book and took the house book and the sales slip from the seller's shop that had the engine # down to the local Transportation office and was able to get insurance for 400 baht but was told that they can no longer register samlor kreuangs. They used to under a previous administration but no longer. Yesterday I drove it back to the transportation office and received my samlor kreuang driver's license. I don't have a work permit as I'm on a retirement visa and there was no problem. The written test was a bit different than what I had expected as some of the questions and answers defy logic but I answered enough to their liking in order to pass the written and the driving part was very easy. Go forward and then reverse and do a parallel park and then pull up and stop close to a curb, Pay 155 baht and done! Now the question is what will the police do when they see me coming. So far many locals have big smiles on their faces when I drive past, hope that's the same with the BIB. I carry a copy of the sales receipt (which was 84,000 baht) which shows the engine number and a copy of my insurance policy and of course my brand new samlor kreuang driver's license. I'll keep you posted when I get stopped by the BIB.

Oh almost forgot. I had originally ordered one from a shop in That Phanom but they're back logged with so many orders that they couldn't finish mine until 10 Aug at the soonest. I had given them a 2,000 baht deposit on a 80,000 baht price. Yesterday we went in to tell the owner that we no longer need them to build one for us and expecting him to say ok but you don't get your 2,000 baht back. I was totally surprised when he said ok and reached in his wallet and handed us the 2,000 baht deposit! Life is good!

post-148325-0-45119600-1342595422_thumb.

post-148325-0-10404300-1342595435_thumb.

post-148325-0-16123700-1342595448_thumb.

• Like 1

i am actually wanting to buy one also but for hotel courtesy transfers and was told the same thing, it can not be registered.

Which raised 2 questions

1. So all the tuk tuks in bkk are unregistered?

2. Why continue to make and sell something that can not legally be driven

Anyhow, one idea that crossed my mind and i think it is a solution.

Registering the bike ONLY so you will have the plates.

Yes i realize its not a bike, but it does have modified bike pulling the "back car" which is almost the same as having a bike with a sailing(side car)

Any thoughts on my "silly" idea? may not work but may also keep the BIB off as there is a number plate and registration