Democrats: Audio Clip Proves Thaksin Influences House Speaker Somsak

webfact

Democrats: Clip proves Thaksin influences Somsak

The Nation

30185516-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The opposition Democrat Party yesterday called on House Speaker Somsak Kiartsuranond to explain an allegation that he was influenced by fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra in performing his duties.

Democrat spokesman Chavanont Intarakomalsut played a five-minute audio recording during his press conference yesterday. The man in the clip, whose voice sounded like Somsak's, said that he had discussed with "the man afar" about mounting opposition to the reconciliation bills and he suggested that the ruling Pheu Thai Party withdraw the bills to ease the political pressure.

In the audio clip, Thaksin was not mentioned by name; he was referred to as "the man afar".

Chavanont told the media that the clip was recorded during Somsak's birthday party on June 27 in the northeastern province of Phetchabun while Somsak was talking to a group of party-goers.

The Democrat spokesman said the clip was proof that the House speaker, who is also the Parliament president ex-officio, lacked neutrality and should no longer remain in the office.

Opposition and Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday called on Somsak to explain this matter. He said if Somsak was the man in the clip, it was clear that Thaksin maintained his influence over the government and the House of Representatives, which is dominated by Pheu Thai MPs.

Somsak, who is an MP from the ruling Pheu Thai Party, could not be reached by phone yesterday. According to his schedules, he has a trip in South Korea between July 1 and 5.

The House speaker's spokesman, Wattana Sengpairoh, said yesterday that he did not think Somsak was the man in the clip. He said it was uncharacteristic of Somsak to be so aggressive. He accused the Democrats of trying to pit Somsak against Pheu Thai's key figures in a bid to cause rift within the ruling party.

However, Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said Somsak had informed party seniors about what he said on June 23 during his early birthday party in Phetchabun. "The party seniors have no concern about this. It is normal for the House speaker, who is a politician, to make political views," the spokesman said.

He said the opposition was trying to play up the matter in a bid to damage Somsak's reputation and to bring down the government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-05

<Snip!>, these dudes need to move flippin on. It does not matter who is right. These dudes could screw up a wet dream and are very short sighted. They are just destroying the country and keeping the political atmosphere in turmoil. They could have used the whole Thaksin thing to their advantage in manner which I stated back in December, but they are too short sighted to see the best solution for them and they keep digging the hole deeper and deeper and deeper. They act very similar to autistic children and have set themselves to look really bad now as this thing plays out.

Edited by metisdead

In the conversation Somsak boast of how he persuaded Thaksin to postpone the bills, and after listening to the wise Somsak, how Thaksin skyped into to persuade the MPs to postpone the reading .

To quote Somsak-'Of everyone , I've talked most often with the person living far away'.

And was it Noppadon who said a few days ago that Thaksin had no influence over legislative matters!!!!

Pheua Thaksin not Pheua Thai.

• Like 1

The House speaker's spokesman, Wattana Sengpairoh, said yesterday that he did not think Somsak was the man in the clip. He said it was uncharacteristic of Somsak to be so aggressive. He accused the Democrats of trying to pit Somsak against Pheu Thai's key figures in a bid to cause rift within the ruling party.

I don't think so, it's uncharacteristic, it's the democrats again. That's the normal kneejerk reaction of politician.

That having been said by the politicians, let scientists study the tape. If it's doctored that should be possible to prove. There are speech samples of non-agressive k. Somsak (don't hear you amongst others) for one, easy to compare. Wait and see, none of us armchair experts can judge the contents of a tape without having heard it, a copy of it and sufficient knowledge and tools to investigate.

Of course this topic may have 100 replies before midday :-)

I don't think so, it's uncharacteristic, it's the democrats again. That's the normal kneejerk reaction of politician.

That having been said by the politicians, let scientists study the tape. If it's doctored that should be possible to prove. There are speech samples of non-agressive k. Somsak (don't hear you amongst others) for one, easy to compare. Wait and see, none of us armchair experts can judge the contents of a tape without having heard it, a copy of it and sufficient knowledge and tools to investigate.

Of course this topic may have 100 replies before midday :-)

Well as the last post was yours over an hour ago, I doubt it wink.png

I agree, it is easy for a good audio tech/scientist to prove the tape is genuine or not.

Edited by metisdead
: Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

Wait and see, none of us armchair experts can judge the contents of a tape without having heard it, a copy of it and sufficient knowledge and tools to investigate.

Come on rubi. Making profound final judgments on any Thai news story whilst in possession of the flimsiest of information is right up our street! biggrin.png

I think that is down to the amount of practice we get ;)

• Like 1

Wait and see, none of us armchair experts can judge the contents of a tape without having heard it, a copy of it and sufficient knowledge and tools to investigate.

Come on rubi. Making profound final judgments on any Thai news story whilst in possession of the flimsiest of information is right up our street! biggrin.png

I think that is down to the amount of practice we get wink.png

This armchair expert can judge the contents because he has read the transcript. Whether or not it's Somsak or if it's doctored, I cannot say. I believe it is real and it is bad for PT. Talking about being impartial coffee1.gif .

Edited by Nickymaster

And now Pardon Thaksin Party can have a witch-hunt to find the rat in the ranks who taped Somsak's bit of self-aggrandisement (My nose is browner than your nose!) and then released it to the opposition.

Is that irony I detect? Surely as a protector of democracy you remember the "don't take any notice of what's on the tape, get the whistleblower, otherwise the judges reputation will be compromised" episode (coincidentally just before the dem party dissolution case was thrown out)..................

Edited by phiphidon

The Red Shirts are always bitching and moaning about "extra constitutional" figures.

It's time to admit that they have their own.....

It's only double standards when others do it.

• Like 1

And now Pardon Thaksin Party can have a witch-hunt to find the rat in the ranks who taped Somsak's bit of self-aggrandisement (My nose is browner than your nose!) and then released it to the opposition.

Is that irony I detect? Surely as a protector of democracy you remember the "don't take any notice of what's on the tape, get the whistleblower, otherwise the judges reputation will be compromised" episode (coincidentally just before the dem party dissolution case was thrown out)..................

What is the topic about? The dem party dissolution case or Somsak pleasing his master while being an impartial house speaker. We love democracy!

No press release from Thaksin's lawyer and on top of it no threats from the reds concerning the release of this tape. One could assume it is real, and bad for democracy if you have heard the contents.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Somsak speak to big man from afar.

Chief say.....

Left foot in

Left foot out

In, out, in, out and shake it all about

Do the hokey pokey when I turn around

Thaksin's what it's all about

all together now.....

Oooooohhhh! Thaksin skips the chokey

Guess somebody didn't agree as my post's gone the way of the dodo! laugh.png

Guess somebody didn't agree as my post's gone the way of the dodo! laugh.png

Don't be desperate then... It will be re-discovered in a couple of centuries, same as the dodo tongue.png

• Like 1

As if anyone needed proof...

Right. Thaksin has form contacting politicians and judges. Didn't he phone-in into the party HQ a few months back ? The man is cancer and should be treated as such so as to allow the country to move on.