Sweating / Nervous

WebBKK123

Hi,

I spend a lot of time indoors in an air conditioned environment during the day. When i walk outside to buy some food or something, i start to sweat extremely. I am not overweight or unfit. Never had this problem before either, it pretty much just started about 6 months ago.

Since then its a real pain for me just to go downstairs to grab some stuff at 711 or buy some food.

Could that be anxiety related? I also took tramadol for around 2 years because of a injury - could that be the cause?

What is a proper way to treat it?

How long have you been in Thailand, and at this particular location in Thailand?

I ask because for most of us what you describe is just the norm, and 6 months ago was the star of the hot (and now hot & rainy) season. It is %^&$ humid here.

And how are you dressed? It is a challenge when working in an a/c environment because what will be comfortable indoors will have you sweating like a pig outdoors. Can you manage to wear clothes suitable for outdoors (thin cottons, short sleeves etc) and then add a jacket or something indoors?

I don't think either anxiety or the tramadol has anything to do with it unless you have just veryrecently stopped the tramadol.

It wont be the Tramadol unless you have stopped in the last month or two.

I had 9 months on Tramadol because of a toothache. Yup, a toothache. I could have stopped taking them after 2 weeks but i just continued and found suddenly that I was kinda hooked. When I did eventualy stop it was a nightmare for a week or two and one of the side affects during come down was sweating... But that stopped after two weeks.

Nasty little buggers they are.

Slightly off topic, forgive me.

Just a thought - Are you drinking a lot of alcohol?

What you describe is exactly what used to happen to me during my drinking days. After a hard night's drinking, I would break into mega sweats when I went out the next day to do some shopping or go to the bank. My clothes would be drenched and it was quite embarrassing as everyone else looked cool and dry.

Other than that I have had farang friends stay with me in the past who would sweat copiously as they were not used to the climate, but you say this only started 6 months ago so a bit of a puzzle.

Maybe you should try to slowly acclimatise yourself by spending more time out of an air-conditioned environment and raising the temperatures of your a/cs.

I would also ask if you are hurrying around more than you think. Are you frequently passing other pedestrians as you walk? Make a conscious effort to walk slowly and do things easily when it is hot and I think you will sweat less.

Sometimes it is hard to tell in Thailand if sweating is caused by the heat/humidity or anxiety/nervousness.

Withdrawals from Tramadol are not fun, if you are going through that. Do you drink a lot of coffee and/or smoke cigarrettes ?

Like dddave said ^ , try to slow down and meditate in your daily life: not think too much.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont drink alcohol and take tramadol about once a week but recently stopped taking it at all.

Mostly wear short pants / tshirt when going out so its not an issue with clothes. I have been in thailand for many years and never had this issue before.

What you describe is a symptom that could be something or nothing. Most likely the climate as already explained, the summer season was particularly gruelling this year.

But equally, anxiety can cause something similar from my own experience, if only that a reaction to anxiety is to become a bit hyper. It's not a good situation.

First start by working out if there is something physically wrong, even if it seems quite trivial, like a cough caused by the air conditioning., because if you are neither comfortable inside or out then that is a simple enough reason why you are ill at ease.

Also rest.