Over 60 British Volunteers To Teach English To Thai Students

There are so many retired expats who could do this for a few hours a week for years not months.

Oh, I forgot the work permit issues beatdeadhorse.gif

But no expats volunteered.

Edited by w11guy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai government is not serious about Thais learning English. The "60 British Volunteers" are but a drop in the ocean of the lack of consistent English teaching and learning this country is suffering from

A post critical of grammar and writing style has been deleted. This against the sub-forum rules, it is also off-topic.

It's an internet forum. It's not a Master's thesis.

• Like 1

Another PR stunts. And why during the Olympics. Kids wanna see their favorite athletes instead I'd "studying"... And what is 8 weeks??? That's nothing...

Well, that's what the British came up with. Perhaps they could only spare 8 weeks because of all the money they're spending on the Olympics.

How do you know how the 8 weeks was decided on? A lot of good can come out of this, if people are positive.

• Like 1

"Yes, but rightly or wrongly they don't seem to want unqualified retirees. There is nothing to stop retirees doing the TEFL qualification that is available in Thailand and applying for part time jobs as teachers, assuming they already have bachelor degrees."

What makes a British student more qualified than a British retiree?

Pretty sure the students don't "already have bachelor degrees".

Also pretty sure that many retirees do have them.

Terry

The article doesn't specify which subjects the students are studying, or if they are trainee teachers or post graduate students. Having a bachelor or master's degree doesn't necessarily mean someone can teach. Hopefully, these volunteers will have been selected appropriately.

I do agree though, that many of the retired British expat community would be able to make a very useful contribution to the Thai education system, as volunteer or paid.

The British Council and Embassy might want to give this some thought, if they really want to help in the development of English language teaching in Thailand.

There's something very important happening here on Friday

This is Britain's show of support for the Government

And what is that? And how does this show support?

On Friday the CC gives their verdict

The UK won't send teachers if there's going be blood on the streets

How would the British feel about 80 Issan men working for free in the construction trade in England.

I'm sure the local union would give a grand welcoming to those who offer their services for free.

Maybe send some doctors to England. Oh wait they don't meet local standards. But hey, if they do it for free

we could give them waivers.

As a English teacher here, I not exactly thrilled with ex-pats giving it away. I rather they get themselves

qualified and be paid for their services.

Are you teaching English in Thailand? I ask because I may have misunderstood your post.

• Like 1

There are so many retired expats who could do this for a few hours a week for years not months.

Yes, but rightly or wrongly they don't seem to want unqualified retirees. There is nothing to stop retirees doing the TEFL qualification that is available in Thailand and applying for part time jobs as teachers, assuming they already have bachelor degrees.

Agreed, and I don't want to stand on anyone's toes, but I'm likely to be not alone in the fact that I don't want to go back to school, don't want to commit to a part time job etc. In Indonesia, where we lived for a while, they jumped at the chance of having us go into school once or twice a week - the students spoke surprisingly good English, but they needed both confidence and to practice the art of conversation. We weren't learning them anything new, but just by speaking to them about what their family life was like or what their ambitions were, they got to learn how conversations flow and could have their simple grammatical errors corrected. That's more the kind of volunteering a lot of people would be interested in rather than commit to paid work, or the hard slog of actual teaching - and in no way to compete with those who teach the real stuff; just to practice the flows of conversation with a native or fluent English person.

Another PR stunts. And why during the Olympics. Kids wanna see their favorite athletes instead I'd "studying"... And what is 8 weeks??? That's nothing...

You beat me to the key board, its ridiculous to think this can help. If you had 67 teachers in one school then just may be in three months you'll get the kids speaking 2-300 vocab words. One teacher in a normal large school for three months isn't going to achieve much apart from the pomp and circumstance of having them there.

I imagine the teachers coming here feel the same, well the ones with actual work experience? I wonder how qualified they really are? What tickles the fancy of kids in the UK might fall on deaf ears here in Thailand.

I hope TEAM 67 have had some esl training. Other wise they will spend a good month of the three getting to grips with what actually works in class.

How or what ever happens, something is better than nothing I guess?

How would the British feel about 80 Issan men working for free in the construction trade in England.

I'm sure the local union would give a grand welcoming to those who offer their services for free.

Maybe send some doctors to England. Oh wait they don't meet local standards. But hey, if they do it for free

As a English teacher here, I not exactly thrilled with ex-pats giving it away. I rather they get themselves

I agree, that and all the bloody missionaries working for jack! offering what can only be described as drivel and brain washing.

Hang them all I say.

Us decent teachers need to stand our ground, take up arms and bash the living S**t out of them when they arrive.

Its grammar war fare !!!!!!!!

That's what I say!

"Yes, but rightly or wrongly they don't seem to want unqualified retirees. There is nothing to stop retirees doing the TEFL qualification that is available in Thailand and applying for part time jobs as teachers, assuming they already have bachelor degrees."

What makes a British student more qualified than a British retiree?

Pretty sure the students don't "already have bachelor degrees".

Also pretty sure that many retirees do have them.

Terry

The article doesn't specify which subjects the students are studying, or if they are trainee teachers or post graduate students. Having a bachelor or master's degree doesn't necessarily mean someone can teach. Hopefully, these volunteers will have been selected appropriately.

I do agree though, that many of the retired British expat community would be able to make a very useful contribution to the Thai education system, as volunteer or paid.

The British Council and Embassy might want to give this some thought, if they really want to help in the development of English language teaching in Thailand.

I was once told by a teacher - and I know I'm inviting the wrath of all trained teachers here - that one doesn't necessarily have to know much about a given subject, as long as one is good at teaching. They weren't the exact words, they way he put it made a lot more sense, but basically what he was saying is that the skill is in the teaching and in the engaging of the students, not the knowledge of the subject being taught.

Teach for free?and do English Teachers out of a job...............Mugs..........who wouldn't work for free in the UK.

Do you mean who WOULD work for free in UK? My mum at the hospital coffee shop, and 2 aunties at charity shops, 1 uncle at the Scouts. And many, many more thousands of people volunteering in UK. Our western cultures would be very different without volunteers.

No intention of doing any teacher out of a job, it's the practising of what they've already learnt from a teacher.

Teach for free?and do English Teachers out of a job...............Mugs..........who wouldn't work for free in the UK.

Do you mean who WOULD work for free in UK? My mum at the hospital coffee shop, and 2 aunties at charity shops, 1 uncle at the Scouts. And many, many more thousands of people volunteering in UK. Our western cultures would be very different without volunteers.

No intention of doing any teacher out of a job, it's the practising of what they've already learnt from a teacher.

Charity work is considered differently,no one is relying on charity work (Just for something to do,in retirement) in the UK for a job,and Thailand can well afford to pay English Teachers.Apples and Pears!

Edited by MAJIC

What a waste...but then again... entirely predictable from the current cast of scamsters.

Eight weeks from a bunch of UK university students probably spending their first time in Thailand??? Really???

But easy to deal with. A short stay and then they're gone and no trouble. Also saw no mention of work permits for volunteer work, BTW... Wonder what the Immigration and Labor officialdoms will have to say on the subject?

Plus how exactly is the MOE planning to allocate 67 volunteer student-teachers among the supposedly 100 or so participating Thai schools?

The pool of available and likely better educated Brits already in Thailand as willing school volunteers is surely larger than the crop of UK university students being imported here. Ahh...but those Brits would expect something more than an 8 weeks and you're out assignment in terms of actually accomplishing something.

The program in the OP seems likely to be basically useless for the Thai students involved. Any sparks of interest briefly lit will surely be quickly extinguished by a seeming total lack of educational follow-up for those involved in the program.

But it will be perhaps a nice summer vacation for the UK university students coming here...

It's a pity this is the best result that these great government thinkers could cobble together.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The English Grammer in the Article is sub-standard. This should be interesting. Young, talented, probably attractive Farang Men, let loose on Thai High Schools. There will be some hot "Tutoring" Sessions in the School Medical Offices.

Edited by cdnski12

What is the harm with non TEFL possessing native English speakers simply (regardless of university degree) spending time to help the kids get practice and a bit of confidence in their English skills?

Its not quantum mechanics you know!

• Like 2

Hope they'll remember the volunteer's names after eight weeks.

They might even learn more words they've learned from Tony Blair's teaching session....biggrin.png

Edited by sirchai

Yes, but rightly or wrongly they don't seem to want unqualified retirees. There is nothing to stop retirees doing the TEFL qualification that is available in Thailand and applying for part time jobs as teachers, assuming they already have bachelor degrees.

I have never understood the need to have a university degree to be able to teach here. I believe Mr Bill gates does not have a degree, does that mean he would not be able to teach computer studies!

As has already been posted, there must be many people here (me included) who would have the time to help month in, month out. Having said that, it should be paid work!

I have never understood the need to have a university degree to be able to teach here. I believe Mr Bill gates does not have a degree, does that mean he would not be able to teach computer studies!

As has already been posted, there must be many people here (me included) who would have the time to help month in, month out. Having said that, it should be paid work!

So so true, i do not have a degree but would love to take up a teaching position, but all that stops me is a degree, i am thinking of doing the TEFL certificate but have been told even after spending 46,000 bath for the course,even after i have completed the course i still might not get work.

Well G Speed to the Briits and bless their hearts... But this is really a sad approach...Wonder what they smoke at MOE...clap2.gif

"...80 per cent of the Thai students from both private and state schools will be able to speak English fluently in the near future."

cheesy.gif

And how many of those naïve young people will make it back home without having been scammed, beaten, robbed, raped or murdered, I wonder.

Edited by Rhys

So so true, i do not have a degree but would love to take up a teaching position, but all that stops me is a degree, i am thinking of doing the TEFL certificate but have been told even after spending 46,000 bath for the course,even after i have completed the course i still might not get work.

There seem to be accredited online TEFL courses for a fraction of 46000 baht.

But this is really a sad approach...Wonder what they smoke at MOE...clap2.gif

Your comment above raises an interesting question. For all their grand pronouncements on the subject, the Thai government basically has done F-all in the way of anything serious aimed at trying to improve the English skills of their student population.

So when they spout off with this kind of B.S. program, do they really believe what they're saying...amid a major case of self-delusion? Or do they full well know they're talking B.S. and are perfectly happy to do so, completely knowing it all amounts to nothing?

You want to know something, I think these people are very naive. While they are here they should try going into a few Thai tourist attractions and see how happy they are about volunteering when they have to pay 4 times that of aThai.

Even more bizarre is that someone I know that has a doctorate (native english speaker) can work as an english teacher even though his degree is unrelated to teaching english. He even admits he is a poor english teacher at best, but Thai society loves degrees and titles.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an email from a mother of one of the students participating in this voluntary scheme. Being a student himself he was told he would be a teaching assistant, not an actual teacher.

'Hi Stuart , I have been trying to see what the news is regarding the students in Thailand - things do not seem to be going according to plan for many of them - it would appear that they have been sold to the schools as english teachers which of course they are not and expected to go in to the classroom and teach -Matt unbelievably has been placed in a praticing christian school One of the reasons matthew wanted to go was because his destination next year is called "The cultural identity of the English Buddhist" Matthew has also recently started attending a buddhist centre so this is just ironic that 95% of Thai are buddhist and he has been placed at a Christian school which iis a totally different culture/mindset! he is also in the middle of no where 3 hours out of P'lok not a happy boy!!! Looking at some of the news forums and reading the discussions boards it would seem that this project may have a political lean and not planned as well as we were let to believe - watch this space!'