Lawyers Council Of Thailand Urges People To Stop Threatening Judges

webfact

Council urges people to stop threatening judges

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Lawyers Council of Thailand yesterday called for an end to the threats and pressure directed at Constitution Court judges who will be handing down a verdict tomorrow on the charter amendment bills.

In a statement released yesterday, the council also called on the judges to make their ruling in line with the Constitution and relevant laws, without any bias, be it based on love, hatred, delusion or fear.

"Some groups or members of certain political parties have either spoken publicly or rallied in a public place to make threats, put pressure or say things to influence the judges to make a ruling that will benefit them and their associates," the statement said.

"When the court makes a decision that benefits them, these people will praise the court as a champion of neutrality and justice, but if the verdict has a negative impact on them, then they will accuse the court of being biased and lacking in justice. The Lawyers Council of Thailand has been following developments about this matter with concern."

The statement, released by the council's vice president on policy and planning, Jesada Anucharee, said that though the Constitution grants people the right to express themselves, it is against the law to threaten judges and interfere with their work. The council added that these people were also threatening the judiciary, which is a key pillar to the country's democratic regime.

"If the Constitution Court can be influenced by threat or pressure, the judges will be suspected of making a biased verdict," the statement said.

"The Lawyers Council of Thailand calls for an end to these threats, pressure and attempts to influence the Constitution Court so it can make its verdict freely and fairly, in line with the 2007 Constitution. We support the Constitution Court to deliver a verdict without prejudice caused by love, hatred, delusion or fear."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-12

The statement, released by the council's vice president on policy and planning, Jesada Anucharee, said that though the Constitution grants people the right to express themselves, it is against the law to threaten judges and interfere with their work

There you have it. Can the police please take not and get these SOB's who are clearly breaking the law, locked up! I wonder how a lawyer will defend such a charge now?

A bit too late, you got a red shirt A-hole threatening them overtly. Will he be arrested and charged? Will the PM make a statement condemning her own people? This man is dangerous and will cause many more deaths for his bosses, the Shinawatras cause!

What is his address and phone number please? Actually what is his families addresses and phone numbers as this is what this jerk off released of the judges families!

Edited by FOODLOVER

The CC has still to decide whether PTP should be disbanded for, amongst other things, putting forward as party list candidates unsuitable persons, referring in particular to red shirt leaders facing serious criminal charges, and thus enabling them to escape/defer prosecution. Korkaew is a prime example. I only hope his belligerent attitude towards the members of the court make this decision that much easier.

Note that his parliamentary immunity precludes immediate arrest but NOT later prosecution.

The statement, released by the council's vice president on policy and planning, Jesada Anucharee, said that though the Constitution grants people the right to express themselves, it is against the law to threaten judges and interfere with their work

There you have it. Can the police please take not and get these SOB's who are clearly breaking the law, locked up! I wonder how a lawyer will defend such a charge now?

The new head of the police is Thaskin's brother in law. Go figure how and why that happened

1). Where's the leader who should be espousing good values and good morals and urging folks of all ilks to respect the law, and respect the various processes of the law? Sorry nobody comes to mind.

2). The pt / udd /reds in their war cries running up to the last election made big statements about respecting the law and equal application of the law for all, no double standards, etc. All now forgotten.

• Like 2

"When the court makes a decision that benefits them, these people will praise the court as a champion of neutrality and justice, but if the verdict has a negative impact on them, then they will accuse the court of being biased and lacking in justice. The Lawyers Council of Thailand has been following developments about this matter with concern."

Same same as Thai football referee.

• Like 1

The CC has still to decide whether PTP should be disbanded for, amongst other things, putting forward as party list candidates unsuitable persons, referring in particular to red shirt leaders facing serious criminal charges, and thus enabling them to escape/defer prosecution. Korkaew is a prime example. I only hope his belligerent attitude towards the members of the court make this decision that much easier.

Note that his parliamentary immunity precludes immediate arrest but NOT later prosecution.

I was under the impression parliamentary immunity only applied while parliament was in session. Since they are officially recessed right now, he could be locked up until they reconvene in August.

Actually, if I am correct, His immunity is suspended until Parliament is in session again, is that true?

I don't know how it works here but in the UK members of parliament are still MP's whilst the house is not sitting. They spend a lot of that time dealing with their constituents particularly if they are Ministers as well as all cabinet members are elected MPs so they are very busy. Plus of course if you're a Minister you still have to deal with any incident that occurs within you're Ministry. When the PM decides to hold a general election parliament is dissolved and MPs stand down and are no longer MPs although they may I think still deal with urgent constituency issues especially if they are defending a safe seat as they will be back. Ministers including the PM are still employed by the crown until a new government is elected. In 2010 this required Gordon Brown to remain as PM until the coalition was formed.

Here things are different as I believe you can have cabinet ministers who aren't elected members and of course you have party list members which I don't pretend to understand.

I would think though that his immunity would still stand whilst Parliament is not in session although why they get immunity from such serious charges I really don't know.

Why would Thai people care to respect the law if the Constitution Court itself shows openly so little respect for the constitution?

Oh, right, they are the "good people" while most Thais are just stupid farmers!

Egyptians got rid of the military dictature and no one blamed them for it! When will Thai people wake up and get rid of the anmart dictature?

Why would Thai people care to respect the law if the Constitution Court itself shows openly so little respect for the constitution?

Egyptians got rid of the military dictature and no one blamed them for it! When will Thai people wake up and get rid of the anmart dictature?

Starting with K. Thaksin - i'm all for that!

Quote: "In a statement released yesterday, the council also called on the judges to make their ruling in line with the Constitution and relevant laws, without any bias, be it based on love, hatred, delusion or fear."

Just the fact that he makes this statement, gives me the feeling that he already know it is too late and that he can't do anything about it...

Thaksins brother in law is the police boss......he is part of the criminals.

• Like 1

Threatening a judge is like shooting yourself in the foot...it's just dumb.

why? Think a few years ahead. if a few judges get beaten to dead by the red mob while the police is just watching it, than some judges will do what Thaksin says while others will resign.

Out of the "Dictator for Dummies" guidebook, you need to control police (done), courts (half done) and army (half done).

• Like 2

Yes with Thaksin, Abhissit, Prayut, etc...

Yes with Thaksin, Abhissit, Prayut, etc...

And replace them with who?

Thida, Dr. Weng?

With All the posturing in the world folks there ain't a word worth a dam_n, while you have idiots running the nut house, anything is liable to happen, any decent leader would run these people right to the police station in their own vehicle (Bentley) and have them charged, unfortunatly in most countries you also have a law that protects MP when in the house of parlimant, (the peoples house) you are amune to any prosecution.bah.gif

And the Egyptians loyal approve of it?

It would be nice if the judges were left to do their appointed job without threats from political thugs. The current CC has one who has run away, four who wanted to run away and four who are either made of sterner stuff or have already been bought.

Their verdict will be interesting to say the least.

I have it from some esteemed members of TV that it was all a misunderstanding with words spoken taken out of context. No one is threatening judges doing their work, in an appropriate way, open and objectively. Anyone thinking differently should have his/her head examined and be suspended from TV for at least 10 minutes wai.gif

Thailand for the Thai's and all that.

It's their country, their decision making and their choice.

Whatever the farang pundits on here say, nothing can be changed and the soap opera continues.

We are but interested observers.

The events of 2010 were pretty bad and the burnings of the buildings in BKK are almost comparable to 9/11 in terms of destruction.

Why is there no sincere effort in Thailand to bring the perpetrators to book ??????

Whoever they were ?

Could it be because the question raises fundamental issues that this country is afraid to raise because the consequences of the question are too far reaching ?

Hence the political impasse.

"The events of 2010 were pretty bad and the burnings of the buildings in BKK are almost comparable to 9/11 in terms of destruction".

They are absolutely not comparable! Not almost, not nothing. Not comparable!

philw probably meant in terms of 'terrorism', but even then not comparable. For people who have lost dear ones this comparision must be hurtfull and senseless. Sorry about that wai.gif

To the posters above, terrorism is terrorism, by your definition, is it not ??

Interesting that you both ignore the points of my post and deflect.

Thailand for the Thai's and all that...............

You only see this kind of stuff in a bad movie or fiction novel. In most countries of the world, threatning judges will get you thrown in jail. In Thailand, your a hero. Or at least an MP, which to Thai's is almost the same thing.