Centrelink Disability Payment While Overseas

mickjn

Greetings Ladys and Gentlemen

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice regarding the new rule that comes in next year regading disability pensions and overseas travel.In 98 I was put off work after having 3 brain tumors and radiation which left me with deficits

I was permantly put off work by 2 doctors.The new rule comes in next year and I am a bit confused about overseas travel used to be 12 weeks going back to 6 weeks but people have told me I can still overseas for more than 6 weeks and still get the pension because I am not ever able to return to work I will only get worse not better.Can any one give me a bit of help with this.I know in the end I will have to find out from Centrelink but was just looking for a bit of advice before I do

Thank you

Mick

I found this through a Google search.

You can travel outside Australia up to 6 weeks in a year. Anymore than that you will lose $755 a fortnight from your pension.

Your search was not quite good enough., There is an exception enabling the payment for longer but it is generally only given where a person can be certified as only having a year to live. Check out the budget changes and you will get some details.

You can travel outside Australia up to 6 weeks in a year. Anymore than that you will lose $755 a fortnight from your pension.

Your search was not quite good enough., There is an exception enabling the payment for longer but it is generally only given where a person can be certified as only having a year to live. Check out the budget changes and you will get some details.

Who asked about anyone having a year to live? I only gave an answer to what the OP asked. I'm sure there are a lot more details to it than what I supplied.

Who asked about anyone having a year to live? I only gave an answer to what the OP asked. I'm sure there are a lot more details to it than what I supplied.

In that case it would be better if you had not stated that he could only leave for 6 weeks,,,,,that is misinformation and he does not need it.

Edited by harrry

In that case it would be better if you had not stated that he could only leave for 6 weeks,,,,,that is misinformation and he does not need it.

Instead of just criticising, why don't you give him the correct information?

I think you will find that you must be re assesed again by Centrelink re your dissability. It would be best to contact Welfare Rights because the staff at Centrelink are giving a lot of different answers which is confusing people.

To my knowledge, a person on a disability pension being paid by Centrelink will lose the disability pension after 13 weeks.

A person on a life threatening pension does not lose their Permanent Disability Pension, but they will lose their phone allowance, their environmental allowance, their rent assistance and any other suppliments they get after the 13 weeks. I believe they also lose their medicare allowance whilst overseas unless they have an agreement with medicare, re a letter from their doctor stating they have a permanent life threatening illness. Also if you have a person looking after you and they are on a Carer Allowance, they lose it after 13 weeks as well.

I am not up to date with it all, but this was the situation 12 months ago. As every where rules chang overnight.

To my knowledge, a person on a disability pension being paid by Centrelink will lose the disability pension after 13 weeks.

A person on a life threatening pension does not lose their Permanent Disability Pension, but they will lose their phone allowance, their environmental allowance, their rent assistance and any other suppliments they get after the 13 weeks. I believe they also lose their medicare allowance whilst overseas unless they have an agreement with medicare, re a letter from their doctor stating they have a permanent life threatening illness. Also if you have a person looking after you and they are on a Carer Allowance, they lose it after 13 weeks as well.

I am not up to date with it all, but this was the situation 12 months ago. As every where rules chang overnight.

New rules come into effect at the end of this year. The 13 weeks will be reduced to 6 weeks.

Do yourself a favor and hire an expert, there are independent centrelink advisers who are up to date with changes and what you can and cant do, they will do all your paper work and lodging and negotiating on your behalf, a friend of mine used one in Melbourne when faced with a very sticky situation, she was very happy with the outcome.

Do yourself a favor and hire an expert, there are independent centrelink advisers who are up to date with changes and what you can and cant do, they will do all your paper work and lodging and negotiating on your behalf, a friend of mine used one in Melbourne when faced with a very sticky situation, she was very happy with the outcome.

I know the new rules come into effect at the end of this year and there are definitely changes to the period of time you can spend outside of Australia on a DSP. This is to stop the people that were spending 13 weeks in Thailand (or elsewhere) and flying back to Oz for a couple of daays, then returning for another 13 weeks.

Nice information, thank you. If you have and information on the name of such agent, or how to find the name, I would very much appreciate if you could please PM to me.

Thanks again.

AW

Chiang Mai

Nice information, thank you. If you have and information on the name of such agent, or how to find the name, I would very much appreciate if you could please PM to me.

Thanks again.

AW

Chiang Mai

If you do a Google search of "centrelink advisers" you'll see a few.

• 3 months later...
This is to stop the people that were spending 13 weeks in Thailand (or elsewhere) and flying back to Oz for a couple of daays, then returning for another 13 weeks.

To what end?

I guess the powers that be saw it as an abuse of the system. Centrelink may be able to give you a more satisfactory answer.

Yes, but we have a RedHeaded, Comunist running the country at the moment. Australia is becoming a banna republick now.

I'm not sure you'd get either a disability pension or welfare benefits under a communist system.