Growing Butternut Pumpkins And Rock Melons/Cantelopes

We live in Phuket and have no problems growing most vegetables and fruits

With butternuts and rock melons we have no success pumpkins when we get a few remain very small

The melons when we get male and female flowers do not produce fruit even though i hand pollinate

I grew both very successfully in Australia, i think its the amount of dew and rain here that is causing the problem

Has anyone grown them successfully in Thailand

The first year I grew butternuts in Chiang Mai ,they grew quite well but lost many due to rot despite growing them on a bed of rice straw to avoid ground contact, They also suffered premature rootrot from the waterlogged soil.

The second year I planted in tyres with potting mix and grew them on a bamboo lattice , they grew so well that I could not give them away. I also delayed planting until the end of October and like the OP had to hand pollinate..Unfortunately my saved seeds were lost in the move to Issan.

I also tried Queensland Blues with tragic results ,I got fruit but they rotted from the inside.

Now I stick to Silver Beet and Spinach ,they grow like weeds here in Issan.

Also tried my favorites ,Butter and French beans but aphids were uncontrollable.

The first year I grew butternuts in Chiang Mai ,they grew quite well but lost many due to rot despite growing them on a bed of rice straw to avoid ground contact, They also suffered premature rootrot from the waterlogged soil.

The second year I planted in tyres with potting mix and grew them on a bamboo lattice , they grew so well that I could not give them away. I also delayed planting until the end of October and like the OP had to hand pollinate..Unfortunately my saved seeds were lost in the move to Issan.

I also tried Queensland Blues with tragic results ,I got fruit but they rotted from the inside.

Now I stick to Silver Beet and Spinach ,they grow like weeds here in Issan.

Also tried my favorites ,Butter and French beans but aphids were uncontrollable.

Thanks for the information, i was thinking the same thing about planting at the end of the monsoon season when the ground is not so water logged and keep them of the ground as you suggest, still have 2 unopened packets of seeds left

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I have qld blues and butter pumpkins as well as rockies growing in Surat Thani, also butter beans but they are being savagely attacked by something. I also have carrots, zuchinni(black & gold), capsicum, cucumber, spring onions, various tomatoes & egg plant. My main plant is frangipani, I do cross breeding to get new colours and then sell them on the international market, originally I operated out of Australia but have been living here for a few months now and have been pretty busy getting it all up and running.

I will let you know the results with the vegies, I am using the methods that proved successful for me in Australia and I will also be bringing back some jap pumpkin seeds with me when I go over there next month as they handle water pretty good.

Dennis