Gun-Toting British “Doctor” Arrested In Parking Dispute

Rimmer

...Some of them have been parking their cars in front of his house and blocking the entrance. He had reported the problem to the police, but the police responded that it was a public road, so anyone can park his or her car there...

We also must understand and accept that anyone is free to park a vehicle in front of our house in such a way that it blocks the entrance, preventing us from driving in or out of our hose. The police can do nothing about this if the road is a public road.

It took a long long time for our neighbors to understand that they shouldn't park in front of our house. Also a public road.........coffee1.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Some of them have been parking their cars in front of his house and blocking the entrance. He had reported the problem to the police, but the police responded that it was a public road, so anyone can park his or her car there...

We also must understand and accept that anyone is free to park a vehicle in front of our house in such a way that it blocks the entrance, preventing us from driving in or out of our hose. The police can do nothing about this if the road is a public road.

It took a long long time for our neighbors to understand that they shouldn't park in front of our house. Also a public road.........coffee1.gif

I heard. Insurance wouldn't cover the paint job. sad.png

I suggest the fine folks from the Pattaya City Government use some of their budget funds to visit Cheju, South Korea on a factfinding mission. Plenty to be learned from the Koreans and how they have maintained Cheju yet they welcome plenty of domestic and international visitors. Pattaya and other tourist places in Thailand could use some refinement. Raise the quality of the visitors to this country and you will raise the margins for all. Continue to allow anyone and frankly everyone to be here and you can see the results. Maybe this should be addressed to the TAT first and foremost.

What the <deleted> are you on about ? An IQ test for all visa applicants ? Don't let anyone in that hasn't got a degree ? Means-testing ?

Elitist crap.

Yes, elitist crap.

Look at the average mentality of pattaya entertainer girls. Not likely they will attract the oxford/ harvard/ IIT alumnus crowd

I might add; the Colorado guy that just killed 12 and wounded many others was a doctoral student descrited as "top of the top"

The 'Craigslist Killer" was a Boston University Medical student.

Surely either of the above could have passed an IQ test to weed out applicants of discerning prestige for Pattaya.

Seems that pattaya is just not engineered as an academic bastion. Why fight mother nature?

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

Normally, the home address would not be made public. Farang are an exception to the rule? His wife's safety is now gratuitously at risk, given the over-reactions we've seen to other incidents, such as taking balloons onto the BTS ermm.gif Bizarre. blink.png

Yeah, I thought about that also.. let's give his address so everyone will know how to find him and his wife.

I see most of the posters here are talking about the gun laws in the UK..

How about the gun laws in the US? a little different. Maybe he should have moved to the US..

The Thai government surely don't want it's citizens carrying guns. 1. they don't know how to use them, 2. an armed angry citizenery wouldn't be good for a corrupt government.

Many Thais also carry gun, but I suppose the English one is bigger and more powerful which scare off the tiny Thai one.

A 9mm with 8 rounds is not a Dirty Harry .44 Magnum. Get a grip. ermm.gif

I think you should "get a grip" - a 9mm will kill just as well as a .44

You both need to "get a grip", there is one gun that has killed more people than 9mm's and .44magnums!

THE UNLOADED GUN---

well having seen this guy in action in one of his rants he certainly should not be carrying a water pistol, he needs anger management teatment. Not suprisingly the dogs are large and agressive, but when they bite they are not his but street dogs. Wonder why they are agressive.

Dum Dum is not an incorrect name for this kind of bullet. It is a slang name that comes from the fact that an early version was produced at a British arsenal at a place called Dum Dum near Calcutta in 1896

Dumdums are technically soft point bullets where the jacketing is removed from/does not cover the tip of the round, not hollow points; it is a registered design. The incorrect (slang) term is sometimes applied to all expanding rounds.

The US military doesn't need hollow points for its rifles because they have managed to more or less replicate the effects or worse with the M16 round that tumbles around in flight so that it causes maximum tissue and organ damage at 200 yards.

Agreed on the M16, but the US has not codified the Convention and is actually one of the few countries that has authorised the use of hollow point ammunition - 7.62mm sniper M852/MatchKing.

Is the type of weapon he was carrying an appropriate one for target shooting?

No.

Is that light swinging yet??

Surprised at you ThaiVisa!

Quote:-

They called his wife to be a translator to find out what was going on. She told police that her husband had a doctorate degree of engineering and has been living in Thailand for 5 years. His pregnant wife is also a medical doctor.

What is the point that you are trying to make?

I think what he is trying to say is:

Highly educated chinese elite and farang use gun wisely, like suppress crime, and get rid of Thaksin.

Poor ill educated farmers use gun stupidly, like robbery, rape, etc.

The police informed Mr. Steve that foreigners by law are not allowed to own or carry guns in Thailand.

That is misinformation, and wrong. Foreigners CAN own and, can register the gun in Thailand, but can not carry them around. You can own it for your protection in the home or your business.

Yes, but they have to own a business and have a work permit, and also a clear criminal record from thier homecountry.

All gunn licenses is for having the gun at home, if you want to bring it around you will need a special license and in some provinces they not give these at all (like Phuket) !

So, what are you saying, you are right, The reply that I posted says, ( The police are wrong with what they said, BECAUSE a foreigner can buy and own a gun in Thailand)

So your point of the reply is?????

I think his point is your an idiot. Most farangs don't qualify in any way shape of form. By most I mean the 90 to 95 percentile. And yor post seems to emply that everybody should have a gun and be allowed to intimidate any and all persons he deems . I afraid that the BIB carry guns. Pull your head out.

That's "you're" an idiot.....;)

Yes a Farang can own a firearm in Thailand but not to carry around and not easy to get.. A Thai can own a firearm but not to carry around as they please. What have UK gun-laws got to do with Thailand? It is time many members got there facts straight and stopped speculating and spouting alot of rubbish.

Yes a Farang can own a firearm in Thailand but not to carry around and not easy to get.. A Thai can own a firearm but not to carry around as they please. What have UK gun-laws got to do with Thailand? It is time many members got there facts straight and stopped speculating and spouting alot of rubbish.

Its called a debate / discussion / exchange of views.

so how do I set about getting a gun?

Despite all this hullaballoo about gun laws in Thailand, and a foreigner getting caught, the country has a lot more domestic housecleaning to do in this regard. Thailand ranks among the worst nations for homicides by gun, second only behind Brazil.

Brazil: 34,678

Thailand: 20,032

Colombia: 12,539

USA: 9,146

South Africa: 8,319

Citation for this information:

Alpers, Philip and Marcus Wilson. 2012. Guns in Thailand: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law.Sydney School of Public Health, The University of Sydney. GunPolicy.org, 19 July.Accessed 24 July 2012. at:

...arrested for using a gun to scare people...police had received a report from the market people that a bald man wearing sun glasses was walking in front of Nana coffee shop, carrying a black bag that appeared to contain a gun...

Let's understand this correctly. The man did not carry the gun openly, did not wave it around nor point it at people. He carried it concealed in a bag. Still illegal, of course, to carry it outside his property even in such fashion.

Let us all be careful to place our things in a bag or in our pockets in such a way that it cannot give people the impression that we might be carrying a concealed gun, as otherwise people could get scared and call the police.

Slightly OT, but my mum worked on school meals in UK and started at 6.30am. Whenever there were reports of a 'man hanging around the school', she carried a pot of pepper in her pocket, just in case. An uncle who was a policeman told her that technically she could be arrested because she was carrying it for unlawful purposes - ie, a concealed weapon carried specifically to throw in the face of anyone who would dare to come near her. Didn't stop her of course, and he advised her to have it 3/4 open so the lid would pop easier.

^^^

I would join a gun club, and use their guns.

That is the safest and most sensible option if you like guns.

Having one at home is fraught with many complications like misuse, theft and other things.

Yes gun club for training - but need to keep it at home for personal protection.

Do I approach the police?

Personal protection is unlikely to be enough reason on its own for a permit to own a gun regardless of where you keep it.

Apart from that, the laws and practice for cases where excessive force is used against any home invader are very vague and there is absolutely no guarantee that use of a gun even in your own home is acceptable legally should a "victim" or his family sue you. I would consult a good lawyer before aproaching police.

Surprised at you ThaiVisa!

Quote:-

They called his wife to be a translator to find out what was going on. She told police that her husband had a doctorate degree of engineering and has been living in Thailand for 5 years. His pregnant wife is also a medical doctor.

What is the point that you are trying to make?

I think what he is trying to say is:

Highly educated chinese elite and farang use gun wisely, like suppress crime, and get rid of Thaksin.

Poor ill educated farmers use gun stupidly, like robbery, rape, etc.

It would be interesting to see evidence from any country as to the educational standard and/or financial status of perpetrators of gun crime.

Maybe they exist somewhere.

But, I guess it wouldn't be PC to publicise.

Normally, the home address would not be made public. Farang are an exception to the rule? His wife's safety is now gratuitously at risk, given the over-reactions we've seen to other incidents, such as taking balloons onto the BTS ermm.gif Bizarre. blink.png

Actually it's very common to print the full address of Thai people involved in human interest stories like this in the Thai language press. In fact, it's more usual than not to do so.

Hello All, Arkady, in your post #86 you said

"The US military doesn't need hollow points for its rifles because

they have managed to more or less replicate the effects or worse

with the M16 round that tumbles around in flight so that it causes

maximum tissue and organ damage at 200 yards".

How do you get a bullet to toumble thats come out of a rifled barrel

which purpose is to stablize the bullet in flight???

rice555

Actually it's very common to print the full address of Thai people involved in human interest stories like this in the Thai language press. In fact, it's more usual than not to do so.

In that case, journalism ethics here need some review to protect the privacy of accused and their families, to prevent them from being threatened, assaulted, falsely imprisoned, live in fear, etc. Unconscionable.

Hello All, Arkady, in your post #86 you said

"The US military doesn't need hollow points for its rifles because

they have managed to more or less replicate the effects or worse

with the M16 round that tumbles around in flight so that it causes

maximum tissue and organ damage at 200 yards".

How do you get a bullet to toumble thats come out of a rifled barrel

which purpose is to stablize the bullet in flight???

rice555

They don't tumble in flight, they tumble upon impact.

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that some persons actually believe what they read in the PDN. Certainly there are comments which have been made on the basis of believability of the printed article which could hold a modicom of credance, the truth is far different i am assured. It has been made apparant to me that the new market management refuse to allow any parking on the public road in front of the market. They threatened and bullied the "farang" that if their patients parked in front of the market on the public road, the farang will be punished! When the farang tried to uphold the law and his right to park on a public road, the farang's car was damaged and blocked from moving. The farang was then attacked by some 20 or so Thai men carrying knives and battons when he approached the Thais to unblock his car. The police said to the farang that they could do nothing because the Thai drivers could not be found. The farang was denied from taking his pregnant wife to hospital. A foriegner can hold a gun and licence legally in Thailand, it can be taken to the range in an unloaded condition, hollow point bullits are legal in Thailand and if a wrong doer attacks a person in their property deadly force can can used to protect life. It will be interesting to see the court report on the actions of some "police officers" when they try to explain why a farang, who was minding his own business having a coffee in a private area prior to taking along his legally and unloaded licensed weapon in a locked bag to a recognised gun range, was attacked and beaten for no reason at all. The farang was released very quickly, did not pay any police compensation when asked and is looking forward to disclosing the CCTV footage of the incident to the court, which has already been submitted to the British Embassy. I understand that both doctors will soon leave Pattaya, the world class "LICENSED" community clinic will close and no doubt be replaced by a bar. I am sure the dogs will then be poisened, as they have in the past but without the compassion of a helper to ensure they survive, the future for them looks bleak I fear. Have faith in the Law of Thailand people and stand up for your rights!.

Despite all this hullaballoo about gun laws in Thailand, and a foreigner getting caught, the country has a lot more domestic housecleaning to do in this regard. Thailand ranks among the worst nations for homicides by gun, second only behind Brazil.

Brazil: 34,678

Thailand: 20,032

Colombia: 12,539

USA: 9,146

South Africa: 8,319

That numbers are misleading, as they are same in the following LINK to a Statistic from Nation Master, for a unspecific time of years, differing from country to country!

http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

DEFINITION: Total recorded murders with a firearm.

=Not per year! Not per specific years! Not every country same period of time. Completely unconclusive.=

Far more conclusive. Murders in a year, per 100,000 inhabitants

http://www.nationmas...-100-000-people

Thailand only 48th place! 9 murders per 100.000

Place Nr. 48 th.gifThailand: 9 murders per 100,000 people 2004 clock-icon.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

I heard, an apparant accurate update on the jackanory type story that appeared in the PND recently whom some may believe to be a true representation of the facts. It seems that some official officers have been shocked that the a "farang" can protect himself, his family and his property with the sensible use of a legally obtained and fully registered firearm. A firearm registered and checked with full personal background police reports by the Ministry of the Interior. I heard that the charge the "farang" was accused of was "carrying and unloaded firearm in a public place", a difficult charge to uphold when the farang apparantly holds a legal licence to "carry along his licensed firearm" in a locked bag, unloaded, with the amunition in a seperate compartment, which of course was the case I understand. Moreover, I understand that the area within which he was attacked by a gang of Thai thugs whilst he was minding his own business drinking a coffee and reading the newspaper, prior to travelling to the local gun range, was a private area used only by the permission of the owners of the property. It may not be a surprise to some clear thinking persons that the farang has been approached to drop all legitimate charges against the some officials and thugs for a raft of serious charges. I have it on good authority that the farang is very keen to take the matter to a full court hearing, disclosing the CCTV footage and voice recordings of the incident, together with a certified copy of the legal firearm licence, a letter from the Ministry and a representative of the British Embassy. Keep within the boundries of and respect the laws of Thailand and there can be nothing to fear people, only those persons that may attempt to usurp Thai laws should have sleeping problems whatever their role in society.

• 2 weeks later...

[Don't know about you, but I'd rather pay the fine and live.

I don't think anyone should escalate a situation like this by carrying a loaded firearm. Seems like lunacy to me - what if he used it ? what if he dropped it ? what if he lost / mislaid it ? what if it was forcibly taken off him ? There are better ways to solve ones' problems, in all parts of the world, than brandishing weapons.

There is the truism "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"...It's a black night in down town Bangkok you're with your wife and young children trying to get to your car when you're confronted by half a dozen yobs ripped off their heads on "ice", there you go, negotiate your way out of that!

How often do you think this actually happens ? whistling.gif

I repeat the point made earlier by several posters and myself - believing that you can solve a parking dispute with a firearm is crackers and I'm glad the police have taken action and banged him up. Obviously we differ on this and I'm sure that there are lots of people that keep guns at home locked-up, act responsibility etc - my personal viewpoint is the fewer guns in circulation the better and that the UK government's response to Hungerford, Dunblane and Cumbia is spot-on.

Peace wai.gif and at the start of the Moslem holy month, may I add: A'salam alaikum.

I should repeat what I overheard recently, that the gun was, and is licensed, was carried in an unloaded condition in a locked bag, by an authorised person who was also icenced. The ammunition was located in a seperate and locked compartment, and the doctor was reading the newspaper in a private area adjacent to his clinic, which he owns with his wife. It has been said by some that the new market owners of Khao Noi market, objected to patients parking on the public road in front of the market. Some reasonable persons apparantly attempted to resolve a dispute by reinforcing the local parking laws. This attempt was rejected and I understand threats were issued. At NO time was the licensed firearm displayed nor was there any suggestion that any attempt at unlocking the bag, unlocking the ammunition, loading the firearm and attemptiong to use it in an unlawfull manner. I have heard that there is CCTV footage that confirms the truth of the incident, shame for those that acted unlawfully eh! Have faith in the law people, and trust the honesty of the Royal Thai Police officers.