Any Experience With True Docsis (Cable) Internet In Hua Hin?

wpcoe

Recently a flyer advertising True's xDSL and DOCSIS internet packages was stuffed in the mailbox on Soi 80, so I'm assuming that True cable internet is available in my area?

Has anybody here subscribed to True's cable internet in Hua Hin and if so, how has your experience been with it?

I currently have 3BB's 9Mbps/1Mbps ADSL plan for B900/month, and it has been "okay." I'm wondering if it would be a step up, a step down, or a lateral move to try True's 10Mbps/1Mbps cable plan for B699/month.

post-33251-0-61008700-1343184389_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

To continue with my monologue biggrin.png :

My new TrueOnline DOCSIS (cable) 15Mbps/1.5Mbps internet line is up and running, as is the TrueVisions free 72-channel package.

Timeline:

Friday afternoon: Signed one-year contract at True office at Market Village

Friday 6pm: Received SMS saying installation would be Monday morning

Sunday 5pm: Missed a call, turns out was number of True installer

Monday morning: Rain, rain and more rain, so not surprisingly, no installation

Monday 5pm: Call from True installers, they were on their way

Monday, 630pm: Installation finished: TrueOnline & TrueVisions up & running

The good:

2318935998.png

post-33251-0-87979300-1353384150_thumb.g

The not-so-good:

TrueVisions free 72-channel package: Not a single channel in English. One Korean and one Chinese channel, though. I had hoped "FOX" and Channel V (music videos) would be in English, but FOX appears to be a movie channel dubbed in Thai, and Channel V is actually "Channel V - Thailand."

Also, it's a bit irritating to have to keep pressing the channel up/down button to pass through all the blacked-out Gold/Platinum/HD channels that I don't receive to get to the next channel I *do* receive. As far as I can tell, there's no way to set up the cable converter box to skip the display of channels that I don't receive. It takes forever to surf through all the channels. I gave up after channel 175. Between the number of non-displayable channels and the time it takes the cable box to "focus" on each channel, I'm simply going back to the basic Hua Hin Cable system which has multiple English channels. Considering the TrueVisions package is free, I won't complain too loudly, though. It was a wise and effective marketing ploy from True -- without the added lure of free cable TV, I probably wouldn't have jumped ship from 3BB for just a modest increase in internet speed (from 13Mbps 3BB to 15Mbps True.)

The ugly:

post-33251-0-71452100-1353384225_thumb.j

Other than the butt-ugly crater in my living room wall (luckily hidden behind the TV until I can fix it), the two installers did a neat installation -- wiring outdoors in nice straight lines and as out of view as possible. They offered to set up my (free) WiFi router with the SSID (broadcast name of the connection) and password of my choice, which was a nice touch.

The modem/router they provided is a Cisco EPC2325 with 802.11g WiFi, 4 wired 100Mbps Ethernet ports and WPA2/WPA/WEP encryption.

Bottom line:

I am very satisfied with the speed of the internet connection, which is above the advertised speed. In fact, I did a couple torrents, and they both downloaded at 1.5x the speed of my 3BB ADSL connection for the same monthly price.

Uhm, yeah. I would have sworn I changed the primary language to ENG in the setup menu, but either it reset back to defaults (maybe?) or I screwed up and didn't actually make that change.

I now have the converter box set for ENG as the primary language, and I found about 6 or 7 channels in English, including Fox.

Next I want to investigate the "Favorites" button on the remote. I wonder what the limit is for the number of channels I can save as a favorite. I want to minimize surfing through all those channels that I don't subscribe to. I finally made it through a complete cycle last night: 200 channels, and I only get 72 of them, so that's 128 dead ones to cycle through.'

One more thing I like about True is that they use component video cables to attach to the TV, which means I can still leave the old, familiar Hua Hin Cable cable attached and flip back and forth between them and True by changing the Source on the TV.