Battery Trickle Chargers For Bikes

Phatcharanan

Hi all,

Does anyone know if these are sold anywhere in Pattaya? I work in Qatar for 3 months at a time so need a 'trickle charger' to keep my battery from going into deep discharge.

I have done the usual of disconnecting the battery but its always still flat when I come back home. The battery is a good one and less than 6 months old. Any advice appreciated.

Might look for something like this. Seems like a pretty nice approach.

post-116788-0-70254100-1343968570_thumb.

1.5W Solar Trickle Charger

Price: $21.95 each

Suitable for maintaining 12V automotive batteries from self discharge during storage

1.5W Amorphous solar panel

Charging indicator LED light

Cigarette adaptor and alligator clamp connections included

Have no idea where you might find one but just a heads up that they are apparently available.

Might look for something like this. Seems like a pretty nice approach.

post-116788-0-70254100-1343968570_thumb.

1.5W Solar Trickle Charger

Price: $21.95 each

Suitable for maintaining 12V automotive batteries from self discharge during storage

1.5W Amorphous solar panel

Charging indicator LED light

Cigarette adaptor and alligator clamp connections included

Have no idea where you might find one but just a heads up that they are apparently available.

I have that one.. brought from the US as I never see them here. Works great.

You could also try Amorn Electronics. Downstairs in Tuc-com,Pattaya Tai.

I bought a 3 amp 6v/12v charger there a few weeks ago for 300 baht. It can charge dry acid and liquid acid batteries.

They also had chargers lower than 3 amps which I assume will be trickle chargers.

However, I wouldn't recommend leaving any battery on a continuous trickle charge.

I also bought a plug in 12/6v charger from the electronics parts shop on Tepasit just down from the petrol stations.

That works better for a larger charge and faster.

But for trickle charge that I hook up and forget about the solar one is the way to go.

Edited by Jayman

Take the battery out from the mb before you leave and bring it to the local shop for a 20b charge, seems like a better alternative than having a battery charging while you are away...

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with leaving even a small charger connected is possibility of overcharging and running out of water.. Motorbike batteries are normally small and easy to overcharge with a an automotive charger. If you are going away for a few months, perhaps you can leave it with a friend and have them use a small charger or 13.8 v wall wart charger for a few hours once a month to top it off. Your local bike shop might do it for you too.

Hope this link helps