T O T Wi Fi Internet Anyone Using It?

Crossy

We have a problem getting a landline, True are not in the village, TOT are but have no lines available.

Since we don't really need a landline phone TOT suggested using their WiFi system for internet. The chaps came today to do a site survey and got a working signal using what looks like a regular WiFi dish antenna on a pretty tall pole. Since 3G is marginal here and there is no other viable option for internet we decided to go with it, they are returning on Friday to install (the man will fabricate a special bracket to go on our power pole, Wifey didn't want to mess up her roof).

Available speed is 'up to' 6M down 512k up.

Anyone else using this system, how well does it work? It has to be better than Edge, doesn't it?

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know about TOT, but I used in the UK for several years a 3G broadband connection that was then send via a wifi router around the house.

This 2M down connection was fine speed wise for surfing the web and emailing, but turned out to be not very good in terms of stability for VIOP or skype. Some literature also suggested that 3G is not ideal for these kind of applications.

Edit" I see "WiFi dish", it might be a very different story.

Edited by Morakot

There was another thread recently about DOCSIS vs DSL here and people suggested that with DOCSIS there is the potential of a bottleneck. I can image this could well be the case with wifi. I used a large-scale private wifi network provided for a reputable codo company in BKK; at peak times the speed was consistently atrocious.

Hopefully someone can report something positive about the TOT wifi. smile.png

Edited by Morakot

This is a

This is a pukka wide-area system, https://www2.totwifi...romotion_th.php so it 'should' not suffer from the congestion issues you get with domestic routers / access point.

, https://www2.totwifi...romotion_th.php so it 'should' not suffer from the congestion issues you get with domestic routers / access point.

Ahh... a wide-area system. I was wondering how it works. Currently we have a TOT line with DSL. At the time when I tried to get broadband from TOT they asked me if I want it with a phone line or without. After inquiring how the latter it works, the desk staff couldn't tell me.

i have it,590bt per months i think 7mb-1mb,speed is good,but in daytime i get often disconnected for a few seconds,very annoying if watching streams,at night time better,still get disconnected but not that often.Called TOT but they are to lazy to come for "minor problems"like that,eieie just now got disconnected 2 times while im writing.Anyway its much better and faster than aircard.I stay in remoted area,so i guess not many users here

I've had it for about 4 months now. It's trouble-free compared to the TOT ADSL line we had.

i have it,590bt per months i think 7mb-1mb,speed is good,but in daytime i get often disconnected for a few seconds,very annoying if watching streams,at night time better,still get disconnected but not that often.Called TOT but they are to lazy to come for "minor problems"like that,eieie just now got disconnected 2 times while im writing.Anyway its much better and faster than aircard.I stay in remoted area,so i guess not many users here

Could I ask if you use skype or any VOIP applications. If so, how well does this work with TOT wifi?

I've had it for about 4 months now. It's trouble-free compared to the TOT ADSL line we had.

Could I ask if you use skype or any VOIP applications. If so, how well does this work with TOT wifi?

It works great as long the connection is stable,im using skype and wachting a lot sport and other programs via internet,speed is more than enough

Crossy, I have just had the TOT WiFi installation completed yesterday and I receive the 7 Mbps download speed, all being very satisfactory.

Any idea how far you are from the tower? We are about 4.5km as the crow flies (I assume Thai radio waves travel in straight lines), the man said that we should be good for 6Mb downlink. We shall of course find out tomorrow when they install it.

• Like 1

I think they can accommodate quite long spans, up to 15 Km, but need line of sight, so they may have to install a tallish mast at your home?

I think the challenges will come from the fixed amount of back-haul TOT has off these towers, obviously a mix of all sorts of data including voice traffic, 3G, commercial data services some/all of which may have priority, along with the fact that you are on the TOT network itself, which may present additional capacity issues?

I have been on it now for 7 months and it is a vast improvement on the GPRS etc I used to use.

I am about 500 metres from the tower and TOT put a flat panel antenna on the roof for line of sight.

There are only 5 of us using it so the service is good and any problems are probably in my laptop which is a little slow.

We have had a few small glitches but I just call the guy up in Khampaeng Phet who usually fixes it from his end.

The main problem is that there is no UPS backup on the tower which means that when the power goes out the link dies but usually comes back quickly enough.

I've been using TOT Wi-Net for about ten months now and it's been fine for me. I have a package that costs about 900 baht/month which, so I was told, gives a better bandwidth and fewer people sharing at peak times. This results in a much more stable live streaming so I get (virtually) no problems with buffering that can happen on the cheaper package. Speeds are also much more stable (I was told I should get around 8mb download and 1mb upload) and I get virtually no loss in download speeds, even at peak times. When I've checked them the slowest I had is around 7mb.

The only problem is, occasionally, the receiver/transmitter on the roof appears to 'lock up' resulting in a connection to the modem but no internet connection, and it won't come back by itself. When this happens I have to turn it's power supply off and on again to reboot and it works fine again.

Crossy, sorry but I dont know how far the tower is from my home, technicians did not speak English and my Thai language was not up to scratch to be able to question them. However, as a previous poster stated, TOT will send out a team to determine whether it is worthwhile to install in your area as I think they need to guarantee (as far as possible) the 7 Mbps download speed. The mast is approximately 6 metres in height and is attached to the side of our house with the dish atop the mast orientated toward the transmission mast..

Well, the chaps came earlier in the week for a site survey, they had an antenna on a bamboo pole, waved it around a bit and announced that they could get a good signal but the antenna would have to go on the roof. Wifey was not happy at this, the roof is her baby.

Putting the antenna on the wall so it could see under the eaves simply didn't work, in the end it was decided that they would mount it on one of our power poles (poles are ours, not PEA's), but they would have to make a bracket.

Boys and bracket turned up Friday, mounted the antenna, ran the cable, put the baby bird back in the nest all with no trouble at all.

They then spent 2 hours trying to get it to work, the resort 200m away gets a 90% signal, we were getting 50%, apparently too low for reliable connection. They finally gave up and went to check the configuration at the other end, they will be back later today.

This is the kit they installed:-

post-14979-0-11551900-1344646007_thumb.j

post-14979-0-28117000-1344646015_thumb.j

post-14979-0-46786200-1344646023_thumb.j

• Like 1

I just bought the AIS/TOT Pocket WiFi 3G so you can run multiple computers, I pads, smart phones at the same time and it says 7.2 mbts. It's been working great so far here in Chiang Mai on the 7th floor and far better than the TOT DSL line I use to have.

I tried to get True Gold but can't install it or any other satalite at my apartment and I really don't want to move. Does anyone know a site to get the same kind of programs as True Gold via the Internet without a satalite?

My TOT WiFi router username and password are both "ubnt" (without the quotes) .

I have had a disconnection problem with the router for several months. If it is on for a long time, every 26-28 hours I will lose the internet. Then it is simply a case of switching off the power to the router and switching it straight back on. It then re-connects and is fine for the next 26-28 hours. I make a point of remembering to do this once a day to ensure I don't lose the connection at a critical time. I have heard of other users having similar problems. The way I know if this has happened rather than a normal disconnection, is that I'm unable to get into the router using the username and password. So if this happens to you, try the above before calling TOT.