Question About Booking A Flight With Air Asia

russianrobert

This is driving me nuts!!

I'm trying to book a flight to Phuket with Air Asia. I get to the page where i can select a seat. I see i am automatically being charged 374.50 BHT this corresponds to the price for a Hot Seat. I don't want a Hot Seat, just the cheapest seat possible. When i change my selection an additional charge is levied. <deleted>??!!

Just cancel "Seat Selection" and move on with no seat selected. Once booking completed return to "Manage my Booking" and then select a seat at 65baht, or whatever the other seats are.

It annoys me as well, I fly AA quite often, it always comes up with the hot seat to try and catch you.

I always have a smile when I get on an AA flight and wonder how many of the silly buggers in the hot seats got sucked in paying the extra price.

scroll down to the bottom and there is a box to tick that you do not want a hot seat. Also, the next page is similar and will automatically add insurance. If you want it, great. If not, you have to press cancel, a pop up will come up and you have to pick "cancel" again.

good luck

Another point.

If you are not traveling for quite a while, say couple of months or more, only pay the fare and taxes now. Come back closer to the date of travel and pay for add-ons.

Reason, if you have to cancel you only lose the fare and taxes, not all the add-ons as well.

If you do have to cancel you can get a refund on the taxes, only if the fees they charge for the refund is less than the taxes.

• Like 2

I still use them purely because they offer a good choice of destinations but hate their website. It takes about 15 minutes to book a flight with Air Asia, I would guess. You can book with Nok Air, Orient Thai and Bangkok Airways in no more than five minutes.

• Like 2

I still use them purely because they offer a good choice of destinations but hate their website. It takes about 15 minutes to book a flight with Air Asia, I would guess. You can book with Nok Air, Orient Thai and Bangkok Airways in no more than five minutes.

Takes me less than five minutes each time. UbonOz has it right.

After a couple of times you get used to the maze. It's the Air Asia virgins pay who pay with blood (forgive the horrible pun). It takes me about 5 minutes now from logging on to signing off with my itinerary in hand.

And I wouldn't knock them for trying to make a buck. All considered they're heckuva deal; moreover, on-time, a great safety record and the cutest crews on the planet.

• Like 1

Takes me less than five minutes each time. UbonOz has it right.

Much preferred their websites but trouble for me is they fly out of Don Muang.

After a couple of times you get used to the maze. It's the Air Asia virgins pay who pay with blood (forgive the horrible pun). It takes me about 5 minutes now from logging on to signing off with my itinerary in hand.

And I wouldn't knock them for trying to make a buck. All considered they're heckuva deal; moreover, on-time, a great safety record and the cutest crews on the planet.

Have to agree that AirAsia have the destinations. I have always enjoyed the experience once i've negotiated the website. I tried to check-in using my iphone. A Thai version of their website came up that didn't offer an English version. There's no link i could see to download their app from their website although it's advertised. I downloaded from itunes store only to find it was faulty.

Their interface with the customer via the internet is a bloody nightmare.

The fact is that AirAsia is a wonderful airline. They have saved me a fortune over the years. Just booked round trip KL - Lombok, for 3,000 baht, round trip for two. Where else can you fly for that amount? But, you have to develop a skill set, on how to maneuver the site. It is set up to trick you into getting the extras. I always do carry on only. And print your boarding pass in advance, and then you do not even have to go to the counter.

The fact is that AirAsia is a wonderful airline. They have saved me a fortune over the years. Just booked round trip KL - Lombok, for 3,000 baht, round trip for two. Where else can you fly for that amount? But, you have to develop a skill set, on how to maneuver the site. It is set up to trick you into getting the extras. I always do carry on only. And print your boarding pass in advance, and then you do not even have to go to the counter.

I couldn't agree more. It's not only AirAsia but all budget airlines that try to force extras when selling their tickets. Some airlines like Ryanair also use other tricks to make it easy for themselves and inconvenient for passengers. They don't assign the seats on boarding passes, for instance, that makes everybody rush to grab best seats in the aircraft often resulting with people queuing up and being stuck inside the bridges for up to 30 minutes. But the boarding itself takes only few minutes after that saving airline precious time.

It seems like now, AirAsia has also invented "world's first" by offering their empty seats for purchase. They established a new web-site called "Optiontown" where you can actually pay to have an empty seat next to you! This is of course only valid if they fail to sell that seat earlier so it can only be confirmed just before the flight. On the longer, especially overnight flights by AirAsiaX it's an interesting option as the empty seats sell for about $10. I guess, with their low prices they have no other choice but to monetize every piece of commodity in flight.

Personally I like Air Asia - it was an interesting exercise the first 1-2 times to navigate the booking process so that I could learn where/how to opt out of the default add-ons, but once you get used to the procedure it is quite easy. And they are cheap....

...but in terms of getting nailed for add-ons - have a look at their Tune Hotels brand. There is a new one opening down the road in Asoke next month. Out of interest, I went to see what the prices would be.

One night - THB499. At first glance, it does seem quite reasonable. Even if internet is an extra charge (it is) - this would make a good deal.

But - proceed past the couple of room selection pages, and then the list of extras appears...

smile.png

This hotel doesn't even supply a towel for the bathroom (add THB120)

No TV either - to use the nice flatscreen TV in the room, add THB120

And if you want to use the airconditioner - you'll need to pay another THB140 (for 12 hours) or THB230 (for 24 hours)

I can do without TV - but seriously, what hotel charges for a towel and the aircon??

• Like 1

Personally I like Air Asia - it was an interesting exercise the first 1-2 times to navigate the booking process so that I could learn where/how to opt out of the default add-ons, but once you get used to the procedure it is quite easy. And they are cheap....

...but in terms of getting nailed for add-ons - have a look at their Tune Hotels brand. There is a new one opening down the road in Asoke next month. Out of interest, I went to see what the prices would be.

One night - THB499. At first glance, it does seem quite reasonable. Even if internet is an extra charge (it is) - this would make a good deal.

But - proceed past the couple of room selection pages, and then the list of extras appears...

smile.png

And if you want to use the airconditioner - you'll need to pay another THB140 (for 12 hours) or THB230 (for 24 hours)

I can do without TV - but seriously, what hotel charges for a towel and the aircon??

I remember a long time ago on a holiday in the UK there was a coin machine in the room where we had to deposit money on a regular basis in order to keep the electricity in the room working :)

• Like 1

AirAsia is a cheap airline and they have to play mind games with you to get the most money out of a ticket. Doesn't show a lot of integrity on their part as an airline carrier. Their booking maze is designed to frustrate you and force you to give up and pay unnecessary money on seats, insurance, and my pet peve, luggage. They are programed to get every little baht out of you. I will only fly AirAsia if it is the only choice. How did they become Skytrax airline of the year?

Agreed 100%, personally I will no longer fly with them out of principle, I don't care how cheap their tickets become.

Agree. I will not use a company, airline or other, that systematically tries to make it as difficult as possible for customers. My recent tickets UTH-BKK booked on Thai, no extra charge for luggage if you have any. The difference came out to 200B more with Thai and I had only carryon luggage.

• Like 1

AirAsia is a cheap airline and they have to play mind games with you to get the most money out of a ticket. Doesn't show a lot of integrity on their part as an airline carrier. Their booking maze is designed to frustrate you and force you to give up and pay unnecessary money on seats, insurance, and my pet peve, luggage. They are programed to get every little baht out of you. I will only fly AirAsia if it is the only choice. How did they become Skytrax airline of the year?

TIT.

smile.png

I think they charge extra for Internet as well. However, 969 B for one night (including aircon, towel and TV) is not a high price for the standard you get in this case. I tried the Tune hotel in Hat Yai and it was a really good experience. Super fresh and clean, amazing bathroom, great bed, friendly service. I'd do it again. The reason I stayed there was the sign at Hat Yai airport that said "499". When I visited the website I immediately thought wow, a hotel that works like those cheap airlines. smile.png

To comment on low cost airlines; I'm very familiar with easyJet and Ryanair and with fuel prices as high as they are, I understand that they do not make any real money on the main product - the trip - but only on side items such as coffee and sandwiches, overweight payments, insurance, car hire and so forth. They want the passenger to do all the work themselves, stay as little time on the ground as possible and they need the highest possible volume of passengers in order to make a profit.

Apparently it works. smile.png

The fact is they are not and they care absolutely zip about customer service.

We booked with AA to Bali although we did not do this online, instead we went to an AA office. We paid around 30k for four legs of the journey from Chiang Mai and we paid in advance for our luggage. The first thing they managed to do to us was to cancel the very first flight in the sequence only thirty six hours before departure and could not supply a sensible alternative. Because of the timming we booked the first leg with Thai Airways and tried to get a refund on the AA part, when we asked for a refund we were told it would take two months and that we had to show them a bank book that they could make a direct deposit into! The second problem was that when we did finally start to fly with them, my wife and I couldn't get seated next to each other, it seems we hadn't paid that little bit extra for that privellege, which had we been made aware of we might just have done.

The fact is they are not and they care absolutely zip about customer service.

We booked with AA to Bali although we did not do this online, instead we went to an AA office. We paid around 30k for four legs of the journey from Chiang Mai and we paid in advance for our luggage. The first thing they managed to do to us was to cancel the very first flight in the sequence only thirty six hours before departure and could not supply a sensible alternative. Because of the timming we booked the first leg with Thai Airways and tried to get a refund on the AA part, when we asked for a refund we were told it would take two months and that we had to show them a bank book that they could make a direct deposit into! The second problem was that when we did finally start to fly with them, my wife and I couldn't get seated next to each other, it seems we hadn't paid that little bit extra for that privellege, which had we been made aware of we might just have done.

I think you need to research fares a little better, THB30,000 appears too much for a trip to Bali.

The key is planning and flexibility, if you can. Register for their emails advising promotions.

I booked AA UBP/BKK/KUL/SYD and return for two adults, THB21,000, air fare & taxes.

There are bargains on offer all the time. AA certainly have a good product.

The only annoying part I find with AA is the seat assignment. I do not agree that they always allocate a hot seat and then you pay for a normal seat. It should be the other way round, allocate a normal seat for free initially and then if you wish to change a fee is charged. The normal seat fee should be included in the cost of the fare.

I am happy to pay for luggage/insurance etc if needed. It is your choice if you only want a cabin bag or forty kilo's.

It is only the customers that are unfamiliar with their business model, or you have to travel at short notice, that pay the higher fares. Much the same as full service airlines, pay more the closer you get to the day of travel.

I think you need to research fares a little better, THB30,000 appears too much for a trip to Bali.

Thai Arirways was the only other direct alternative and they were the same price as AA, indeed you can fly there cheaper, if you manage to catch a special promo but I didn't feel like scheduling the trip around AA's marketing campaigns.

I don't have a problem with a business making a buck or a baht - but I do resent when a business tries to trick their customers for that buck or baht.

I won't fly with them now unless there is no reasonable alternative. Chiang Mai - Bangkok, Orient Thai (cheaper and better) or Bangkok Air (a couple of hundred Baht more, and much, much better). To the south, Nok Air will be flying direct Chiang Mai - Hat Yai, previously used Air Asia for that, but thankfully now I don't have to. To Bali, they're still the cheapest, so I'll navigate their bullsh*t, spend an hour reading the small print and make sure I remember to set up a Siam Commercial Bank direct debit a year in advance.

A few years ago, I bought a brand new case, 3000B. It was broken on arrival, thankfully I had the receipt in my wallet as I'd only purchased it a couple of days before. What did they offer? 500B. After an hour causing havoc at their customer 'service' counter I got 2000B and some AirAsia sticky tape to tape it up, made sure that was prominently displayed for several trips after to point out Air Asia broke my bag, the *****.