Yamaha Diversion 400 Needs Carburetors Synced And Setup

montereyjp

I am looking for a motorcycle mechanic preferable in Pattaya but will travel beyond for a good mechanic who can setup the carburetors on my Yamaha Diversion inline 4... It runs pretty good but cuts out a little at 5000 rpms and I have to get the revs up coming off of a stop or it wants to stall. But at 6000 rpm's and above it runs great reaching a top speed of 140Km/h. It is a1996 and over the course of the last year I have taken in to a couple of mechanics because it would not idle,one guy changed the jets but in the end I had to clean the tank and petcock myself to get it to idle and run decently... The funny thing is I kept telling these guys to please clean the tank but this being Thailand it never got done and I had to do it myself... I have been to Mins and he is a good guy but always busy but he looked at my bike revved the hell out of it and declared that the number 2 carb was running to rich... Hmmm, that may be true but I think there is a little more to it then that so what I am looking for is a mechanic that will get the carburetors totally setup correctly.. Floats, jets and synced... Now I have been to a few big bike shops in Pattaya and just looking at the way they keep the mechanic bays turns me off but I did see one shop on the right hand side of 3rd road as you head towards Pattaya Tai from Pattaya Klang that had a decent looking work area... Cant remember the name of the shop but they also sold second hand bikes... Anyone have experience with this shop? Any suggestions or recommendations welcomed and of course will not hold anyone accountable if I end up with a shit setup... TIT

A clean shop could just mean they are not busy enough and have time to clean up.

If I were you, I would just buy some simple tools (if you don't already have any) and do it yourself if you are that worried about mechanics here. If not then just go to one of the thousands of shops and ask them if they can do it or not.

I'm sure more people will be along soon to recommend shops but for me, I would do it myself.

You are referring to Road Machine on 3rd rd, it is close to pattaya tai,

and he can do it.

But as a rule of thumb, and according to Dr.Piston,

"carburetor" is a french word meaning "don't mess with me"

leave it to the professionals, if at all.

Thanks for the replies and as far as Dr. Piston is concerned I agree but it is to late as two mechanics back the guy changed the jets... I know there are three per carburetor but the receipt does not say which ones he changed. I have spent a lot of time researching this issue on the Internet and I am almost convinced that the jets need to be changed back to the originals sizes and also the possibility that the floats need to be adjusted... I am thinking about doing it myself but that would require that I have the right size jets on hand which means I would have to hunt them down or order from the Internet which takes time in ether case... I think I am going to give Road Machine a shot at it and i will post an update after...

I think if you look on ebay you would find the jets. A Yamaha being made local should be able to get then in a few days. Many times the jets just need to be taken out and cleaned with gasoline (not always of course)

You should probably buy a proper mechanics manual for your bike as it seems like you really like it and will keep it for awhile. Then setting the floats is easy as 1-2-3.

PS: Don't forget to rent, borrow or have a friend there with another bike when you are on the bench with yours for all the small sheite you will need to run around for during your repair. lol

Call Yamaha in Bkk and ask if they have the jets in stock.