Is My Visa Really Expired?

I have a 1 year business visa. Close to the end of 1 year, I was planning on going to the border and getting another 90 days. Today I went to make that trip, and was told I overstayed 2 days (my fault) and that my visa is expired and they would only give me 15 days. The stamp for my non-immigrant "B" visa says it's good for multiple entries and that the visa must be utlized before August 13, 2012. It was issued on August 13, 2011. I entered Thailand on September 3rd, 2011. What I assumed was that the visa's 1 year term "started" the day I entered Thailand, Sept. 3rd., but today at the border they said it expired on August 13th, 2012. Is this correct? I assumed when it said it must be "utlized" by August 13, 2012, that meant you had 1 year to use your visa and begin your 1 year term. Could it be that my 2 day overstay nulled the visa? Since this caught me off-guard I'm thinking I might have to go to Cambodia and try to get a 2 month Thai visa. Any info would be appreciated...

A visa is valid for a specific period of time from issue - not entry. So your last allowed entry would have been before end of August 13 not today. Immigration was correct and you obtained the normal visa exempt entry of 15 days. You can not work on this entry if you have a work permit.

A visa is valid for a specific period of time from issue - not entry. So your last allowed entry would have been before end of August 13 not today. Immigration was correct and you obtained the normal visa exempt entry of 15 days. You can not work on this entry if you have a work permit.

Thanks for clearing that up. The legal firm I obtained my visa through told me at the end of the visa I had to go back to my home country. Do you know if this is true? Maybe they were just meaning if I wanted the same visa again I'd have to apply for it while in America?

One more question, hope you don't mind. I'm thinking about getting a full-time job in Bangkok. I know I can't work with the 15 day visa exempt entry, but if I go to Cambodia and get a 2 month visa and maybe the 1 month extension, would I be able to begin working for a Thai company with that visa?

One more question, hope you don't mind. I'm thinking about getting a full-time job in Bangkok. I know I can't work with the 15 day visa exempt entry, but if I go to Cambodia and get a 2 month visa and maybe the 1 month extension, would I be able to begin working for a Thai company with that visa?

No, you need a Non-immigrant "B" Visa and a work permit.

gavin310, while you are in Thailand on a tourist visa entry you can apply for the work permit. To pick up the work permit when it is ready, you need to go first to a Thai consulate, get a non-B visa and return to Thailand with that visa.

I suspect the legal firm provided the paperwork to allow issue of that non immigrant B visa? If so then yes you probably would have to return to original location to obtain another such visa. But as said if you have legal reason for such a visa to be issued, such as work, it can be done anywhere but normally only single entry until after work permit is available.

I suspect that was for teaching? Issue of a non immigrant B visa does not require the submission of a WP3 for a Consulate to issue per MFA directive below:

2.4 Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Teaching) Foreigners who intend to take up employment as school teachers at the levels below university level in Thailand must submit the following required documents:

- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months

- Completed visa application form

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Letter of acceptance from employing institute or school in Thailand.

- Letter of approval from government agencies such as the Office of the Private Education Commission, the Office of the Basic Education Commission.

- Evidence of educational qualification such as diplomas or teaching certificates.

- School license or business registration, list of shareholders and school profile.

- Applicant’s resume.

- Police certificate verifying that applicant has no criminal record or equivalents or letter issued by authorised agencies in applicant’s country. (The requirement of the submission of such police certificate is optional. The applicant must submit it if consular officer requests he/she to do so. This requirement is effective as from May 2007)