Mangosteen

barefoot1988

For quite awhile fruits arent the thing for me, never actually, but dam_n those mangosteens. What are those actually? I swear they must had cocaine in them, just so dam addicting, can't seem to stop popping them.

Never really hear people talking about them, just so dam delicious. I had just finish 100baht worth of those funky looking things. It got me so excited and i had to create a thread for them. I might just send an request to change my username to mangosteen. Seems like its the season now, anyone love those as well?

My best favorite fruit, delicious and healthy .http://www.astrologyzine.com/mangosteen-fruit.shtml

... the wife dries the skins for something medicinal or other too. ..her sis has a ton of trees..they are good aren't they

My best favorite fruit, delicious and healthy .http://www.astrologyzine.com/mangosteen-fruit.shtml

... the wife dries the skins for something medicinal or other too. ..her sis has a ton of trees..they are good aren't they

Apologize for a mistake about link above, info. is good but...

I think mangosteens are the number one fruit in the whole fruity world! From the first day I tasted them I was hooked solid! Every year I actually make myself sick eating so many at one time!

Ulysses... you don't need to 'peel' them. That was a mistake I made the first time I tried buying them from the market in S'pore myself and trying to 'claw' my way through the thick rind. A young Chinese couple were watching me, trying very hard not to laugh. Finally they took pity on me, and the young lady came over and showed me the trick... Just hold one between your thumb and middle finger, with your thumb on the green cap and middle finger 180 degrees opposite. Just give a bit of a squeeze and the thick peel 'cracks' open, usually right in half, and you can just lift out the entire round fruit in one or two pieces and pop them into your mouth. No effort involved!

Warning. Mangosteen juice will permanently mark your clothes. I put the skin onto my beach towel, sappy side down, and the ring is still there, years later.

That's one thing we don't have to worry about in Chiang Mai ... no beaches = no towel = no mangostain (sp?)

22 bt a kg at the moment too .... very good price. My wife opens them for me, slicing in horizontally with a knife then opening like a clamshell. I must try FolkGuitars trick.

Mangosteen, Mango (ripened ones) and Durian are my favourite fruits in Thailand. I'd love some Feijoa's ... anyone seen them here?

220px-Feijoa_HortResearch.jpg

• Like 1

I think mangosteens are the number one fruit in the whole fruity world! From the first day I tasted them I was hooked solid! Every year I actually make myself sick eating so many at one time!

Ulysses... you don't need to 'peel' them. That was a mistake I made the first time I tried buying them from the market in S'pore myself and trying to 'claw' my way through the thick rind. A young Chinese couple were watching me, trying very hard not to laugh. Finally they took pity on me, and the young lady came over and showed me the trick... Just hold one between your thumb and middle finger, with your thumb on the green cap and middle finger 180 degrees opposite. Just give a bit of a squeeze and the thick peel 'cracks' open, usually right in half, and you can just lift out the entire round fruit in one or two pieces and pop them into your mouth. No effort involved!

Seems to be every time I look at them in the market they crack one open for me. Maybe it is the brwildered look on my face. Just got a half kilo this morning for 20 baht. I don't know if that was cheap or expensive but at that price I could care less.

They are delicious. One of the few delicious foods in the world that is good for you.

I love Mangosteen's.

Anyone know if they freeze well?

They actually freeze very well. Before moving to Thailand, and living in Japan, the only way I could get mangosteens was frozen. I had to ride two hours to the city of Kobe, where there was one store that sold frozen packages with two mangosteens, four lychee, and four rambutans, all for the remarkably low price of roughly $25 USD. While they didn't taste nearly as good as fresh ones, it was worth it to me to make the two hour train ride and spend the money just to taste them all once or twice a year between trips to LOS!

I love Mangosteen's.

Anyone know if they freeze well?

They actually freeze very well. Before moving to Thailand, and living in Japan, the only way I could get mangosteens was frozen. I had to ride two hours to the city of Kobe, where there was one store that sold frozen packages with two mangosteens, four lychee, and four rambutans, all for the remarkably low price of roughly $25 USD. While they didn't taste nearly as good as fresh ones, it was worth it to me to make the two hour train ride and spend the money just to taste them all once or twice a year between trips to LOS!

Thanks FG, it's one fruit I haven't frozen.

I'm really happy since I bought me freezer.

My best favorite fruit, delicious and healthy http://www.astrology...een-fruit.shtml

Remove the full stop before http and it should work

Great article. All though a little disheartening on the medicinal properties Here is a line out of the article.

"The medicinal properties of the Mangosteen fruit are derived mainly from its outer rind or peel, not from the fleshy inner part of the fruit. The rind, called the pericarp, is where powerful antioxidants are highly concentrated. The Mangosteen pericarp is about a half-centimeter thick and is green when unripe, then dark purple when ripe."

Does any one know of a place here in Chiang Mai that would handle pills or real juice with the ingredients coming fro the rind?

good to hear all the info! i bought mine from tanin market, 40baht a kg, pretty dam cheap.

usually i choose the smaller ones as they have smaller seeds and sweeter. the big one are tasty as well but the seeds are alittle bitter. not too sure how edible are those seeds but i just eat everything. yum!

Great article. All though a little disheartening on the medicinal properties Here is a line out of the article.

Don't worry about missing out on the anti-oxidant properties of mangosteens. You can get 20x more from eating garlic, broccoli, tomatoes (but you need oil to release the Lycopene in them so slather on the olive oil!) kidney beans, any berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.,) pinto beans, etc., even green tea. But now... all this talk about how the anti-oxidants in green tea help prevent cancer has me confused... Japan drinks more green tea than 99% of all the world (only China drinks more) but Japan ranks #1 for stomach cancer. Huh? Even with all that green tea? I don't understand!

There are going to be a lot of us old people laying in hospital beds dying, while moaning "but... but... but... I ate antioxidants every day. I spent two hours on the treadmill at the gym every day. So how come I'm still dying?!?

Eat mangosteens because they taste good. Not because they'll make you live longer.

Does any one know of a place here in Chiang Mai that would handle pills or real juice with the ingredients coming fro the rind?

I bought a few expensive bottles of mangosteen juice that included the rind a few years ago, but it was not tasty at all and eventually got thrown in the bin.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Add me to the list of those who have had a love affair with Miss Mangosteen ( ooohh those stains upon the bedsheets !!!!) , but i also have a wanton & illict love affair with Madam Durian. Secret rendevous with that seductress in the heat and passion of the night . I can feel her skin upon mine. Devouring her when nobody else is around .What a sordid life i have fallen into .

Edited by xen

Japan drinks more green tea than 99% of all the world (only China drinks more) but Japan ranks #1 for stomach cancer. Huh? Even with all that green tea? I don't understand!

Most stomach cancers start with the bacteria H. Pylori or H. Pylori infection. H. Pylori is spread by unwashed or undercooked foods. There's probably some correlation between the high incidence of stomach cancer and sushi. They also use a lot of salt and loads of preservatives in pickling.

• Like 1

The mangosteen is readily available in Australia but I never bothered trying it until my wife started feeding them to me in Thailand. Fanbloodytastic. Also up there is the custard apple, another fruit I ignored because of it's looks.How come I ate pineapples? Talk about judging a book by it's cover. It is said 'it was a brave man who ate the first oyster'.

Add me to the list of those who have had a love affair with Miss Mangosteen ( ooohh those stains upon the bedsheets !!!!) , but i also have a wanton & illict love affair with Madam Durian. Secret rendevous with that seductress in the heat and passion of the night . I can feel her skin upon mine. Devouring her when nobody else is around .What a sordid life i have fallen into .

Some say Durian is the King and Mangosteen is the Queen. Eating Manosteen after Durian balances the "heatiness" of Durian. And never drink brandy after eating Durian..

• Like 1

There's a foreign company here that exports capsules of mangosteen, noni (Indian Mulberry), amalaki, jiaogulan and moringa. They use a high tech freeze drying process that preserves the enzymes better than grinding methods. There's a health food place just north of the Rimping on the Mae Jo road that carries them called Only Natural.