Does Being Called Farang Bother You?

MonkeyMagic3

Do you mind being called farang?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have rarely seen so many crap and uninformed comments on TV. This must have touched a nerve. YOU. MY FRIEND: ARE.

A Farang. Who cares, you are no longer member of the master race (wherever you came from) here. You are what you are, live up to it. Be a Farang and be proud of it. Deary, deary me, what a to do about nothing.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting called 'Farang' pisses me off but also prevents me giving a dam_n about Thais or Thailand so it's a double-edged sword; I actually have very different values here and behave in ways I'd never dream of doing back home - that's precisely why I'm here. Getting called farang is just one of those contributing factors - if Thais didn't do this I might care about them or their country but instead their behavior just reminds me that I'm not Thai and never will be - me getting annoyed is a small price to pay for the freedom it gives me. Fair is fair.

Seriously??!!

What a puerile view of the world around you.

• Like 1

Getting called 'Farang' pisses me off but also prevents me giving a dam_n about Thais or Thailand so it's a double-edged sword; I actually have very different values here and behave in ways I'd never dream of doing back home - that's precisely why I'm here. Getting called farang is just one of those contributing factors - if Thais didn't do this I might care about them or their country but instead their behavior just reminds me that I'm not Thai and never will be - me getting annoyed is a small price to pay for the freedom it gives me. Fair is fair.

Seriously??!!

What a puerile view of the world around you.

I like his honesty.

Referring to someone based on the color of their skin is racist and I find this offensive but Thais do not know better because this is how they have been brought up.

PS: When they are asking for funds/donations/aid at offical events from foreign countries, you can bet your bottom dollar they dont use that term.

• Like 2

for those who insist on being called by name, try this... www.nametag.com

Is it not unreasonable to expect to be called Khun Mark instead of Khun Farang if the person in question knows your name is Mark? From what I've read that is what happened with the OP, his name was on documents that a Thai had in front of them but they called him Khun Farang instead of Khun Mark. You honestly think there is nothing wrong with that at all?

It doesn't seem like he is saying farang bothers him like some other members have, just that in a situation like that it would have been polite to have used his name and I completely agree.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Is it not unreasonable to expect to be called Khun Mark instead of Khun Farang if the person in question knows your name is Mark? From what I've read that is what happened with the OP, his name was on documents that a Thai had in front of them but they called him Khun Farang instead of Khun Mark. You honestly think there is nothing wrong with that at all?

It doesn't seem like he is saying farang bothers him like some other members have, just that in a situation like that it would have been polite to have used his name and I completely agree.

Maybe, but the topic is about whether being called a farang bothers you

• Like 1

That is the title of the topic but the first post explains the reason for the poll and the experience that made him start it. I'm quite sure some of those that voted 'No' wouldn't have appreciated the same happening to them in a similar situation, 'Sometimes' is more likely their honest answer but then they couldn't preach like they have been.

That is the title of the topic but the first post explains the reason for the poll and the experience that made him start it. I'm quite sure some of those that voted 'No' wouldn't have appreciated the same happening to them in a similar situation, 'Sometimes' is more likely their honest answer but then they couldn't preach like they have been.

...just have to realise names are not that important in Thai culture, they often just call others "pee" or "nong" for example, many things that would be impolite in Western culture are normal here (and vice versa) and unless they actually disrupt your life there is no point letting these tiny things bother you.

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 1

"it's wise to ACCEPT it, but to PROMOTE is a step nobody needs to take!"

I agree with this - it is a negative thing about Thailand and it annoys me when I see guide book writers and the like talking about how "you won't see many 'farang; here' or 'there's farang food at this place'. It's just not classy. And it's worth mentioning that there are cultured Thai people out there who use the term only to describe something as being "foreign" and use the term "foreigner" when speaking to an actual foreigner regardless of their race.

• Like 1

At the local hospital, after giving them ALL my details, l am on computor as

Mr. British Citizen ''Transam'',

Hello Mr. Transam, l say, no that is my first name, No, British is your first name, no my name is blah blah blah. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, we cannot change that now as you have received treatment. sad.png

No, it doesn't bother me. But what bother me is people who continually have to ask this question.

So being called a name based solely on the colour of your skin doesn't bother you but someone who is sometimes bothered by it bothers you?!

So people who know you still call you farang? That's rather odd. Does your wife call you farang?

And your OP is really misleading and inaccurate. People in the US, for example, are referred to by skin color/ethnicity all the time, e.g., African-Americans, blacks, whites, Caucasians, Hispanics, etc. But you're bringing up derogatory racial slurs which "farang" definitely is not. Many have tried to play that game and it only demonstrates their ignorance.

If your only concern is that people who know you still call you farang, that's one thing (and again, highly unusual). But the term farang is not offensive.

Where did I say that people who know me call me farang? I didn't. I said that I have been called farang by people even though they know my name such as in the transport office recently and also at the hospital, both of the people in question had my name on documents yet still called me Khun farang. But according to you that isn't rude, it is just Thai!

And people I come into contact with regularly, like at the local shop, could ask me my name (like I did theirs) but they would rather just call me farang.

Why are you so touchy? It's just easier for them than to try and remember some foreign name in that tricky language they've been struggling with for years, not like they're going to need it after their brief meeting with you, Lighten up!

TIT!

This breaks out along predictable lines: the more honest and open vote 'sometimes', and maybe explain why, the clueless vote 'yes', and the 'I'm more Thai than you, and I totally understand Thai people, and I'm so self-secure that nothing bothers me' types all vote 'no'.

Boring.

''Boring''

Likewise!

When I go swimming it's "Look, farang's going swimming!" When I get on a bus alone, "Where's farang going?" When I was learning concentration meditation at a Thai temple, "Can farang see the white dot?" And all of the above said loudly so I can clearly hear it.

Sure, "Black", "Asian", "Hispanic" etc. are all acceptable terms in other countries, but when a Thai person gets in a pool in Germany there's not a group of German people loudly saying, "Look the Asian's going swimming!"

That's the difference, and that's why it does annoy me sometimes, but I know that Asian people and other minorities do get stared at and perhaps treated differently in other countries too.

• Like 1

I am one of the minority that dislike being called 'farang'.

Back in the UK, it would not have crossed my mind (or any of my friends) to refer to someone as 'that foreigner/black/Asian' etc. etc. as it is rude.

Having said this, I've never been called farang to my face - those that don't know my name have always said Madam, but I dislike hearing it quietly in the background when they're obviously referring to me.

But how do you know they're referring to you? I've never heard a conversation amongst thais that holds its original topic for more than a few seconds.

Also, keep in mind, for those of us born in places like the UK, America, Brazil, etc., we grow up with people of many different ethnic backgrounds, so we take in many different viewpoints, and have the unique opportunity to experience other cultures that aren't closely-related. One can't say the same for thailand, save the bordering countries - and as my thai friend says 'They look Thai'/i.e those Asian facial features ... plus, it's thailand.

It shouldn't be too big of a deal why those looking different from the norm would be called something other than their nationality ... plus, it's thailand.

I get mistaken for a half-breed quite a bit here. But I don't mind stating that I am a 'falang.' Any further explanation is a waste of time and energy.

+1 for your honesty, by the way :-)

Edited by hookedondhamma

Farang is definitely not a derogative term! Ask your Thai partner! If you don’t trust his/her answer, why are you in Thailand?

I was at the Amnat Charoen Big C, and a very young child, maybe 2 years of age sitting in the trolley seat saw me, pointed and yelled, “Farang! Farang! Farang! Farang! Farang! Farang!” I started laughing because she was so cute and her mother looked embarrassed and apologetic. Three young ladies came running around from the next aisle giggling, and one said, “We don’t see farang in Amnat Charoen”. It was like I was a mythical creature to them, in a positive way. My wife heard this and came from an aisle behind me and we all were laughing together.

My understanding of Thai language is adequate and I have been referred to many times as ‘farang’. Under no circumstances it was derogative.

Is it uncanny when a foreigner is in our (farang) country of origin we instantly expect them to accept our culture, expressions in language, slang? Thai people understand their culture and language are different to the foreigner and do not judge such. Is this hypocrisy from the ‘farang’ that does not accept the natural Thai language, residing in Thailand?

Sorry to all the readers that dislike the word ‘farang’ for using the word ‘farang’ in this post.

Edited by Synastry
  • Like 1

you are living in a 'mono-culture' and the Thai's will make you aware that there is an "us" and "them" in this society.

Most 'farang' come from a multi-cultural mosh-pit (especially north america) where the word "foreigner" holds little weight.

Go to Japan and your name is "Guy-Jing"....go to China and you hear "Quy-Low"..... somehow you may find it less offending to hear

"f^%k-face" as you would on the streets of america.

WOW! I've been in Macau this weekend so not checked in, I never realised I'd open such a can of worms!

Firstly let me say sorry to those who are offended that I started yet another 'farang' thread. I'm a fairly new member and didn't think to search through years of threads to see if it had been done before. But at the same time, like others have said, if you don't like it then don't read/comment, you know what the thread is about from the title.

Now I'll address those who keep saying I'm claiming it is derogatory. Where did I say that? It seems many members don't read posts properly or read something into it that isn't there. I said that on occasion it annoys me and then gave two recent examples of when I was called Khun Farang, one time in a government office and one time at the hospital, even when they knew my name was Mark. There have been other times when this has happened in a professional environment, all the Thais were being addressed properly by their names and then I was called Khun Farang. I know Farang is how caucasians are referred to here and it isn't something that bothers me apart from in situations like I mentioned, Khun Farang is not my name! I didn't say my wife/friends/family called me farang although, judging by some of the replies, that does happen.

Globerunner4...I didn't say 'we' referred to Africans as n*****s, please show me where I did.

fasteddie...I'm not touchy, the example I gave where it would be courteous to ask someones name was at a local shop that I frequent regularly. I know all the names of the family that work there and address them as such, they still address me as farang after almost daily visits for many months.

Although I'm a new member on here I'm not new to Thailand, I've lived here permanently for a number of years and visited regularly prior to this. Farang is the name Thais call caucasians and I'm not saying that is wrong, I voted 'sometimes' not 'yes' in the poll. What I do find very rude and inconsiderate is to be called farang in certain situations.

Well, I asked more than 4 hours ago what would be the correct Thai word to call a foreigner from who you don't know the name nor his nationality.

But untill now nobody has given me the answer, while there have been many at the same time who have said that farang is bad,very bad.

Do you actually know

I am in my mid 40s, a 100% Farang who wasn't born, but grew up in Thailand, maybe you will hear me, and hopefully relax.

Your Thai friends are joking, or you misunderstood them. No offense should be taken by this "F" word, and unless people know, remember and can pronounce your name, the "F" as in "Farang" in itself is not meant to be insulting at all, not even close to the "N" word, or even the "Black" or "White", or "Yellow".

Foreigners -as someone from an other country- are "Khon Tang Chart". A Caucasian, or anyone who doesn't have black eyes, is called "Farang", and it is not at all "bad" or "very bad" as you were told, not an insult at all.,

I did hate the word "Farang" when I was a teenager, but that was because I considered myself a "Dek Thep" (Bkk Kid), but I finally realized that, however long I tried, I would never really become a Thai, and that I would be a Farang forever. Now, some 28 years later, when Seven Eleven girls ask me if I am half Thai, I just answer "Farang 100%, khong teah (the real thing)", then they say something like "but, you speak Thai like..." And now the usual answer I give is "Nong, I spoke Thai before you were even born"... Before I got married, it was more like "I can be whatever you want me to be, nong"... But that is another story.

BTW, few people call me "Farang" anymore, usually it is by my name or "Pee" (big brother), or "Loong" (Uncle) for kids.

Hope I am making some sense here!

I like your comment, this is good example of the clasist or racist situation that I see in the Thai society, not the bad one, but enoght for not let you in with they.

When you go to a national park you pay foreigner price or local price :) ?

No, not really. If someone called me Khun Farang, I would just call them Khun Thai. Like anyone, it does bother me when someone is being rude and I just try to deal with it in a way appropriate in Thai culture. But that's very difficult if you are driving! I find that many drivers are rude by farang standards.

If im in a taxi and the driver is saying on the phone he has a farang in the car- no not bothered

If i'm in a store and the assistand talks to another assistant and says 'the farang needs help' - no not bothered

when i go to a company and say " Hello my name is Mr. kjkjjiik I have an appointment with Khun Somchai" and the receptionist then phones that person and says a farang is here to see you - yes pisses me off totally

When Thais who know my name and still refer to me as Farang - yes pisses me off.

Well, you should be bothered about the taxi and the store, because when you allow that in those places, it is really the same thing as saying it is ok to use it all the time.

By accepting the thais can almost always call us farang, we will have to understand they are gonna call us that, in other situations as well.

Meanwhile I do know thais does not mean anything bad, I do not like to be called farang all the time, and I certainly do not refer to myself s farang, that is just plain stupid.

The biggest disadvantage of supporting the ideas of calling us farang, is that it will always keep us separated from thais on a human level. We will always be something else, I will not go as far saying we are objectified, even though that sometimes is actually the case.

But by support the idea of "farang", we will always also support the idea, that we will never be viewed as a full member of our thai girlfriends, or wifes famlily. This is also part of the reason, why many of us, have been treated just like ATM´s and being ripped off, because they do not really see us as humans like them. Yes we are humans, but not really, we are farang.

Today I overheard a conversation, they said, there was going to be a meeting later this week, and among the people who were gonna be there, there were gonna be 2 farang as well. You might think it is innocent.

I think it makes it difficult for us to blend in with our thai extended families, when we are constantly being referred to "farang" behind our back.

• Like 2

Being bothered by being called Farang is measured in inverse proportion to time spent in Thailand. Did I say that right? I mean like after 1 year you are bothered. After 5 years only one nutcase is bothered. After 10 no one is bothered.

For me it is the opposite, in the beginning, I though it was cute, and charming, after a year, I was neutral, after a few years after that, when I realize how much damage this innocent way of calling us can cause, I do not like it at all.

• Like 1

I voted NO, and wasn't surprised to see many others did likewise. I really don't get why anyone would object to the term anyway. Its just a common word for Thais to classify "the foreigner" in their own tongue....and why on earth would anyone object to being called a "foreigner"???

It seems to be only the people who don't really understand the Thai language would get offended.

Anyway, I can guarantee you that Asians get called a lot worse in our western countries.whistling.gif