Bangkok Warned Of Flood Threat As Heavy Rain Predicted

webfact

A lot of off-topic posts and replies have been deleted.

Stick to the topic please. Some of us would like to know when we will be up to our behinds in water and for how long.

It's the same posters making the same political arguments. Their positions will not change. Drop it or take it elsewhere.

This one is about flooding--not blaming.

Do you really think they will be honest like last time ? I for one would love honest news telling us what is going to happen. I just don't see it happen as they tell white lies.

I wish they would post satellite pictures every 2 days so we can see if something is coming or not.

You have lived to it too, this time im already taking some small precautions that would make life so much easier. I think most of us have learned. Buying some bricks to put furniture up so it stays dry (if last year it was not too high in your home)

I am already buying waders in the hope and expectation i wont need them, i will get some motorcycle stands so i can keep my bike up out of the water if needed, re routing some electricity ect.

To be honest i never thought it would happen again so fast i am still not convinced it will but as honest news is hard to find its better to prepare.

• Like 2

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder where Nisa is in defending the government. We all know not much has been done and the budget like the water has seeped away but the budget found their way in the pockets of corrupt red government people while the water seeps or rushes into the home of the poor.

With a year (less actually to be fair) and an enormous budget more could have been done. It has not and it all comes down to the government being corrupt and inapt. Making banks is not real hard work and could have completed much faster.

Now the government is talking about unprecedented.. id say last year was a good precedent. First it was local and now the scale is a lot bigger with flooding in many places. That is not to say that flooding does not happen normally but with those kinds of budget things could have changed.

Words of wisdom from a guy who's whole country lives under sea level.smile.png

Stick to the topic please. Some of us would like to know when we will be up to our behinds in water and for how long.

It's the same posters making the same political arguments. Their positions will not change. Drop it or take it elsewhere.

Do you really think they will be honest like last time ? I for one would love honest news telling us what is going to happen. I just don't see it happen as they tell white lies.

I wish they would post satellite pictures every 2 days so we can see if something is coming or not.

You have lived to it too, this time im already taking some small precautions that would make life so much easier. I think most of us have learned. Buying some bricks to put furniture up so it stays dry (if last year it was not too high in your home)

I am already buying waders in the hope and expectation i wont need them, i will get some motorcycle stands so i can keep my bike up out of the water if needed, re routing some electricity ect.

To be honest i never thought it would happen again so fast i am still not convinced it will but as honest news is hard to find its better to prepare.

Yep, here we go again. Looking at news stories, the government intends to dump all the water into Western Bangkok (where I live) just like last year. Didn't get back in my house until 12 December. And they've just finished resurfacing most parts of Baromrajchonnee. Now they can get paid to do it all over again and pocket even more billions. If Putthamonthon 3 goes under again this year, I'm out.

I will be moving too, but as long as we dont have a mass of water moving over land towards us its ok. If the banks hold then we are ok. I just hope they did work enough on the river banks in that case BKK itself will get all the water and not its outskirts.

"All the flood-prone communities, home to around 1,200 families, are located along the Chao Phraya River in areas that have no embankment.

However, having an embankment is not always a guarantee against flooding. Such is the case in Sukhothai, which has seen water from the Yom River seeping in even though the level is not overflowing the embankment."

Err! so that will be everyone at risk then!! you have to laugh.

"All the flood-prone communities, home to around 1,200 families, are located along the Chao Phraya River in areas that have no embankment.

However, having an embankment is not always a guarantee against flooding. Such is the case in Sukhothai, which has seen water from the Yom River seeping in even though the level is not overflowing the embankment."

Err! so that will be everyone at risk then!! you have to laugh.

yes watch out for them sewers - all the sandbags in the world won't keep it out if it comes from below - sounds like the name of b horror movie, the 2nd installment.

Let's all use the current flood as an excuse to put down the current government , shall we?

Rising sea levels and a low lying City equals much more flooding in the future no matter which side governs.For some on here its all so convenient to bad mouth the pm and her government .

Tut tut tut

• Like 1

Let's all use the current flood as an excuse to put down the current government , shall we?

Rising sea levels and a low lying City equals much more flooding in the future no matter which side governs.For some on here its all so convenient to bad mouth the pm and her government .

Tut tut tut

sorry mate, the rising sea levels didnt start when this admin took power. last year it was convenient to blame the previous government but a year on, nobody is buying that old song and dance.

• Like 1

Tut tut tut

And incompetent management of a bloody big river system that flows towards Bangkok has a little to do with it too. I am not expecting them to be able to mitigate all massive floods, but when as they report "the rainfall is x% age above average", that the system is managed to handle it. Or are we to rely on the fact that the system will only NOT flood when the rainfall is repetitively below average.

Apparently it isn't acceptable anymore to receive what most consider to be somewhat heavy rains, and entire areas go under water for considerable amounts of time. That also bearing in mind that they have granted themselves massive budgets to be able to prevent exactly this happening.

Tut tut tut

Crap.

They screwed up big time in Sukothai & other provinces in the lower north, upper central region. They have complete incompetents like Plodprasop supposedly in charge. Whether Bangkok & surrounding provinces like Pathum Thani & Nonthaburi gets flooded is in the lap of the (rain) gods.

• Like 1

Yep, here we go again. Looking at news stories, the government intends to dump all the water into Western Bangkok (where I live) just like last year. Didn't get back in my house until 12 December. And they've just finished resurfacing most parts of Baromrajchonnee. Now they can get paid to do it all over again and pocket even more billions. If Putthamonthon 3 goes under again this year, I'm out.

If it is your house make a protection now when there is still time...basically concrete walls. We could hold out in Thaveewattana last year with an electric bill of 12.000 Baht for the pumps.

BANGKOK: -- Residents in 27 at-risk communities in Bangkok have been warned to brace for floods this weekend as heavy rains are expected from tomorrow (Friday) until Monday.

30 minutes ago, the flood warning alert was expanded to now include ALL 50 districts of Bangkok.

There is a forecast calling for heavy rain for Bangkok between tomorrow and Monday, the 17th.

The BMA has instructed all districts to install water pumps in susceptible areas.

BANGKOK: -- Residents in 27 at-risk communities in Bangkok have been warned to brace for floods this weekend as heavy rains are expected from tomorrow (Friday) until Monday.

30 minutes ago, the flood warning alert was expanded to now include ALL 50 districts of Bangkok.

There is a forecast calling for heavy rain for Bangkok between tomorrow and Monday, the 17th.

The BMA has instructed all districts to install water pumps in susceptible areas.

Chaos reigns. Anyword from the "Central Command?"

They are out shopping for Burberry wellington boots

Very little done except to line their own pockets.

After 1 year, and the amount of money 'spent' I would have expected most of the immediate works could already have been completed.

Just goes to prove once again that the 'higher ups' don't give a crap about the 'lower downs'.

Any links, pictures, documents to back up these presumptions?

Tut tut tut

Loyalty to the Government is very Noble, but let's face facts: they don't exactly deserve anyones praise for a job not done.

• Like 1

deja vu

view_resizing_imagesphp-3.jpg

froc.jpg

They are out shopping for Burberry wellington boots

Would like to see the original statement from the BMA. I mean honestly, yes there is rain coming, but is it really going to be so bad that they need to issue warnings for all 50 districts? Cue everyone getting a day off tomorrow to empty the supermarkets and get ready for a wet weekend.

After 1 year, and the amount of money 'spent' I would have expected most of the immediate works could already have been completed.

Just goes to prove once again that the 'higher ups' don't give a crap about the 'lower downs'.

Just wait for more rain to come,and that should be proof enough!

how about links, pictures or documents of things that were done?

pictures of things that aren't there (protections) are a bit difficult.

• Like 1

Klong 4 and Klong 5 in Pathum Thani are quite high this afternoon, and sadly just as blocked by encroachment and water hyacinth as ever before. Nothing major appears to have been done since last year's flood. I notice a number of the sluice gates are wide open though. They weren't opened wide last year until the afternoon before the flood arrived. What a crazy situation.

BANGKOK

Residents have been warned of four days of possible floods

30190320-01_big.jpg

File photo : Sukhothai

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Bangkok Governor Malinee Sukavejworakit warned residents in 27 communities outside the city's embankments to move their belongings to higher ground while officials of 50 Bangkok districts were instructed to be on full alert.

Malinee quoted a Meteorological Department report predicting rain in the Bangkok metropolitan area from September 14 to 17 and, to worsen the situation, it coincides with high tide during the period.

Water pumps must be ready for pumping duty, especially in flood-prone areas, to drain water, she said. Municipal workers have been instructed to check the city's embankments along the Chao Phraya River to ensure that they are intact.

The order came on the heels of flash floods in the northern province of Sukhothai after water flowed through a breach in the flood prevention wall.

She said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has ordered the opening of the city's sluice gates to alleviate risk of flooding.

She urged the government to drain water into eastern and western Bangkok instead of the Chao Phraya River, which could affect residents in inner part of the capital.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-13

I think you just need to look at 2 things. Money spent, infrastructure delivered.

• Like 1

Are you serious? Do you have any links, pictures, documents to confirm that they haven't done as I stated? Come on! If you've been in Thailand very long you'll know that's the way the country works, it's an unwritten fact lol

I would have thought that the very fact that Sukhotai and Ayudhya are flooded and now 50 districts in BKK alone are being put on alert is enough to substantiate the assumption that not a lot constructive has actually been done in the past year to warrant the amount of money that has been 'spent'. The remainder of the statement will be borne out in the months to come when investigations are made into corruption and graft amongst various Government bodies and private firms.