Making A Product In Thailand For Export..

I, I am interested in making a wood product I already make in Canada, in Thailand for export back to Canada.

I don't really want to open my own shop, it is more like hiring thai woodworkers to make the products, and then ship box loads back to Canada where they will be finished.

Where to start getting the right permits or whatever to do this ?

Thanks

Canada & Thailand are currently working on a Free Trade agreement. Anything you learn today may be out the window when the agreement is done. I read recently they are expecting something to happen in 2013. Maybe once the agreement is in place it will be easier to set up in Thailand, just guessing.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...land-trade.html

I'd also call the trade section at the CDN Embassy they are there not only to promote Canadian business but also assist Thai's wanting to export to Canada.

On the Thai side;

http://www.dft.go.th/en/AboutDFT/VisionMissionandCoreValue.aspx

Edit-Link corrections

Edited by WilliaminBKK

Not sure for Canada but certainly for the USA, anything "wood" is liable for extensive paperwork and proof of treatment in manufacture process, possible fumigation on arrival or even destruction, if not meeting the correct standards and paperwork. There other threads about this in the business section that might provide more help.

The majority of wood carved products are produced in Chiang Mai and Lampang. Acacia wood is the main wood used, Teak and Mango are also available. Teak can be a headache to export to America and Canada. Other woods are fine - just need to fill in the correct forms (the Lacey act) and know Latin names for woods used. It also depends on the item that you are making.

I am based in Ban Tawai and have my own freight forwarding company and work closely with local carvers - feel free to PM me and I will try to help.

I would like to find out where those bamboo bows are made. Not so much the crossbows but there is some that are more like full length bows that have carvings at the top and bottom, you can buy them at the night market in the "antique" shop at the very end by the seafood shops.

Does anyone know where those are made ?

Thanks for the help everyone !