Thai Fishing Boats Had White Lights And Now Have Green Lights ?

Fgis

Hi,

Can you confirm that I am wrong and that Thai fishing boats never had white lights ?

Because I think I used to see them with white lights when now everytime I see a boat at night it has green lights !?

Help ! :-)

squid boats run white lights to attrach the squid...or are you talking about navigation lights, as certain vessel types above a certain size have white and green lights, green on starboard and white on the port per marine regulations, not that I believe Thai fishing boats follow marine rules to any great degree..laugh.png

Edited by Soutpeel

squid boats run white lights to attrach the squid...or are you talking about navigation lights, as certain vessel types above a certain size have white and green lights, green on starboard and white on the port per marine regulations, not that I believe Thai fishing boats follow marine rules to any great degree..laugh.png

Red on Port side wai.gif

re.

Can you confirm that I am wrong and that Thai fishing boats never had white lights

in jomtien harbour they seem to have red and yellow / orange ? mast lights

and the thai navy on the mekong river have red mast lights as well

( there are two bigish boats just behind the building ) but i cant see any white lights

dave2

post-42592-0-67532000-1348326171_thumb.j

post-42592-0-46955000-1348326202_thumb.j

post-42592-0-13278000-1348326242_thumb.j

On the navigation light side of it, for fishing boats, you should see the following:

Vessel engaged in fishing other than trawling, Port & starboard (red & green), Stern light (white) and red over white masthead lights.

Vessel engaged in trawling, Port & starboard, stern light and green over white masthead lights

That is the international rule of the road, or at least it used to be! The masthead lights are all-round and the other lights are sectored.

as regards squid fishing boats and the lights they use to attract the squid, mast and running lights and boats on the mekong aside, the shift is largely from a move from metal halide, incandescent and mercury vapor lamps (which are a light greenish tinge) to a cheaper more efficient green fluorescent light.

it comes down to money and efficiency. florescent lights permeate deeper attracting squid from farther away. They burn cooler thus losing less energy to heat, and need not be run at the higher voltages and temperatures that radically shorten the life of the other types of bulbs when used in this application.

http://kasetsartjour...51056024531.pdf

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 1

On the navigation light side of it, for fishing boats, you should see the following:

Vessel engaged in fishing other than trawling, Port & starboard (red & green), Stern light (white) and red over white masthead lights.

Vessel engaged in trawling, Port & starboard, stern light and green over white masthead lights

That is the international rule of the road, or at least it used to be! The masthead lights are all-round and the other lights are sectored.

Thanks...i knew its was something like that....I am not a sailor per se...biggrin.png

Ah yes, the Rule of the Road. I remember it being drummed into me.

If to starb'd red appear, tis your duty to keep clear.

As you might expect there were jokey versions.

Red to red, green to green, perfect safety, go between.

Q. What is a white light, a rapid ringing of a bell, and then a red light?

A. The Officer of the Day doing his everning rounds on his bike.

5555 ...was Phuket bound back in 2004 in a pissing rain storm and saw two brilliant blinding fluorescent green lights off to port...thought it was bloody UFOs.Checked the radar and assumed they were fishing vessels.....on direct collision course ....stopped the boat and fired up the donk.....the buggers crossed my bow within a few metres definitely "not under command"...no navigation lights visible ........saw a figure crouched in the cabin of one cooking supper though.

Recon they should have a light combination.." fishing vessel eating curried fish and rice"

to the OP.... seems they have had green lights for a while......?

I am used to see the Squid boats with white lights in the entire region (since 1995).

I read an article some years ago about the different frequency of the lights, and which color is more visible to the eye.

Greenish color is as far as I remember more visible to the eyes.

Many lights illuminating the roads, in Norway, have been changed to a light green color.

I just guessing, but this might be a reason for the change in color.