Unfazed By Rising Costs, Philanthropist Vows To Continue Running Free Khao San Road Clinic

Lite Beer

There is maybe hope for Thailand after all; think if they can get people like Khun Surat into the Government and police force then we could have a really great country here.

The monetary value of his generosity is monumental, but his kindness and caring nature are not so rare amongst Thais as some people seem to think.

• Like 2

What a wonderful story. From my experiences around the world, it's often the poor that are the most generous and prepared to help fellow men. This man is comfortable but probably not amongst the elite super wealthy. His friends think he's mad and look for ulterior motives to explain his generosity. If only the supposed upper echelons of this country could follow khun Surat's lead, this would be a truly great country. I'd love to know just how much the clans that own SIngha/CP/Red Bull/Central/True etc etc + politicians give back to this country.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the ugly truth might be waiting at the end of his time. My dad was a physician who treated the sick, poor etc. He refused to accept money from the poor. When he passed away, the reality hit. I grew up watching hundreds of strangers come and go from his clinic and yet at the funeral hardly a handful of those people came back to pay their respects. It was like "oh well -- the guy dropped dead -- time to find another doctor who'll treat us for free".

Though according to my mum, my dad's father got a really big turnout on his funeral. He was also a doctor who treated the poor and didn't take their money for it. These days where we're all connected through the internet you'd think that news would travel faster and better... yet at the same time we seem more disconnected in society than before.

I feel that there are quite a few more people like him out in Thailand.

Quiet unassuming people who do this sort of thing as he has done now without publicity but sadly they they are outnumbered, outspoken and often seen by the public negatively very loso Hisos who care nothing for other people and are fuelled by greed and I want it all NOW attitudes. They will never change.

When Khun Surat Wongcharnsil is reincarnated he will come back as a far better person and not as a politician.

That is a position reserved for snakes and cockroaches.

There are quite a few regulars on TV who should have this article PMed to them. The 'I hate Thais' brigade, that's who.

I salute this man who joins other Thais willing to put their hand into their pocket to help their fellow men & women without discrimination. It's just a pity that there are so few of these people, not only in Thailand, but around the world.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the ugly truth might be waiting at the end of his time. My dad was a physician who treated the sick, poor etc. He refused to accept money from the poor. When he passed away, the reality hit. I grew up watching hundreds of strangers come and go from his clinic and yet at the funeral hardly a handful of those people came back to pay their respects. It was like "oh well -- the guy dropped dead -- time to find another doctor who'll treat us for free".

Though according to my mum, my dad's father got a really big turnout on his funeral. He was also a doctor who treated the poor and didn't take their money for it. These days where we're all connected through the internet you'd think that news would travel faster and better... yet at the same time we seem more disconnected in society than before.

It's expected. The merit making accounts for the next life. It does not require people at a funeral. Very Buddhist.

There is maybe hope for Thailand after all; think if they can get people like Khun Surat into the Government and police force then we could have a really great country here.

I agree with you HSLSNS 100% ... if only ...

This is great to read. How a Thai wealthy class is giving back to society. Rarely do ever read about charity and giving in Thailand. Rarely if ever is it ever reported that even the very wealthy ever do anything except operate with impunity and flaunt the law.

Hats off to this guy in this story.

What a wonderful story. From my experiences around the world, it's often the poor that are the most generous and prepared to help fellow men. This man is comfortable but probably not amongst the elite super wealthy. His friends think he's mad and look for ulterior motives to explain his generosity. If only the supposed upper echelons of this country could follow khun Surat's lead, this would be a truly great country. I'd love to know just how much the clans that own SIngha/CP/Red Bull/Central/True etc etc + politicians give back to this country.

How much the Shinawatra clan has given back to the country we all know by now.

There are many Thai people giving time and money to help orphanages - you just need to look them up. Also my wife, who was unwell for some time, has been spoken to several times about whether she would like to sit down for a rest by small shop people (no they weren't expecting us to buy from them) and also we have been given a lift - no charge expected - by a kind family seeing us walking home. Not something I encounter anymore in Australia I am afraid. I rarely bump into really rude Thai people. I do see some pretty rude farangs unfortunately. Remember, what goes around comes around.