Electric Bill Pattaya

bartender100

I have always paid my electric bill on the 1st of the month at a 7/11, it suits my cash flow, just got knocked back today, as it should have been paid yesterday.

That's the first time in the 2 years since I came back to live here that it has happened, so now I have to go to the Banglamung office tomorrow, unless anyone knows another way? because its miles away

Is it easy to find?

Lesson learned, read the small print on the bill.

You used to be able to pay at an office on Pattaya Klang near 3rd but passing by recently I read they have closed it for some reason. Not sure if permanent. Yes the big office is deep into Naklua.

http://wikimapia.org...icity-Authority

If you want to avoid the schlep, I know that motorcycle taxi drivers are sometimes hired to make the run and pay the bill for people. Of course you'd have to know one you trust.

Edited by Jingthing

Since you need to go there, i suggest you take autobill form from there also and go to your bank and open separate account for "autopayments" .

That's a good idea, I did read the post about that, i will

We have been doing the auto pay from our SCB account for the past 7 years on both electric and water and NEVER had any issues. You just set it and forget it. Of course you still get a bill when they do the meter read and you also receive a letter from PEA every month that shows you paid. It's actually a 2 month statement they send every month. Of course you are always able to compare the bill left with the amount removed from bank and the amount listed on the receipt if you are worried. I don't bother checking but I know they never double bill me and I have never noticed any discrepancies.

Since you need to go there, i suggest you take autobill form from there also and go to your bank and open separate account for "autopayments" .

Now keep in mind to have a look at the bill next month, since for the past 4 months it has been 1 day earlier every month.I don't know for what reason, but I used to pay on the 7th, then got surprised that it had changed to the 6th.Next month it was the 5th,then the 4th and this month due date is the 3th.

We have been doing the auto pay from our SCB account for the past 7 years on both electric and water and NEVER had any issues. You just set it and forget it. Of course you still get a bill when they do the meter read and you also receive a letter from PEA every month that shows you paid. It's actually a 2 month statement they send every month. Of course you are always able to compare the bill left with the amount removed from bank and the amount listed on the receipt if you are worried. I don't bother checking but I know they never double bill me and I have never noticed any discrepancies.

And then you get the risk, as hundreds of people in Pattaya including me got a few years ago, that you get a bill which is 20 fold of your regular bill and it will get paid by auto pay.You will notice it and go complain at the PEA, and it will take 6 months to get refunded.
  • Like 1

Now keep in mind to have a look at the bill next month, since for the past 4 months it has been 1 day earlier every month.I don't know for what reason, but I used to pay on the 7th, then got surprised that it had changed to the 6th.Next month it was the 5th,then the 4th and this month due date is the 3th.

I was going to blame Yingluck, but then realized it would create a 20 page thread

And then you get the risk, as hundreds of people in Pattaya including me got a few years ago, that you get a bill which is 20 fold of your regular bill and it will get paid by auto pay.You will notice it and go complain at the PEA, and it will take 6 months to get refunded.

yes I guess there is always that risk. In my 7 years of doing auto pays I have never experienced it. Knock on wood.

On the flip side, there is always the risk if you don't auto pay that you will miss a payment and come home to no meter on the front of your house. Then you can go complain at PEA, pay the large re-connection fees, and see how long before you have your power back on.

Edited by Jayman

yes I guess there is always that risk. In my 7 years of doing auto pays I have never experienced it. Knock on wood.

On the flip side, there is always the risk if you don't auto pay that you will miss a payment and come home to no meter on the front of your house. Then you can go complain at PEA, pay the large re-connection fees, and see how long before you have your power back on.

I had to reconnect once many years ago because I new to Thailand and overseas at the moment the monthly bill came, costed me upon return 450 Baht for reconnect and took about 3 hours.

But a few years later at a new location, where my monthly bill was 1100 Baht on average, I got a 26.000 Baht bill once.I went to the PEA office and after some discussion and proof of previous bills , I was allowed to suspend the bill payment untill correction.I recall it took about 6 months before I got a bill for that particular month.

I'll take a 450 Baht reconnection fee over a 6 months wait over a 25.000 Baht refund anytime.

Oh and to add, rumours were that it was not a mistake but a scam from one of the PEA employees who dissapeared with the collected money.

Edited by jbrain

There is also a branch of the Elec. company In Jomtien, on Chaiyapruk-2, just east of Sukumvit. Bills can be paid there.

post-53404-0-01693100-1349101566_thumb.j

At the bottom of your electric bill there are two small numbers mixed with some Thai gibberish. Those numbers define the range of dates when you can pay at 7/11. If they are 22 and 29, you can pay from the 22nd of the month thru the 29th.

• Like 1

I had to reconnect once many years ago because I new to Thailand and overseas at the moment the monthly bill came, costed me upon return 450 Baht for reconnect and took about 3 hours.

But a few years later at a new location, where my monthly bill was 1100 Baht on average, I got a 26.000 Baht bill once.I went to the PEA office and after some discussion and proof of previous bills , I was allowed to suspend the bill payment untill correction.I recall it took about 6 months before I got a bill for that particular month.

I'll take a 450 Baht reconnection fee over a 6 months wait over a 25.000 Baht refund anytime.

Oh and to add, rumours were that it was not a mistake but a scam from one of the PEA employees who dissapeared with the collected money.

I guess it's to each his own. I'd take the very rare occasion of a bad employee running a scam over the very common occurrence of missing a payment. Please keep my power on as I have a family and can afford to be out of pocket some cash until the scam gets sorted vs being without power and having the living I make be interrupted not to mention how the stuff in the ref feels not having power. I find it hard to believe that your pwr was restored within 3 hrs of being cut. You mean, your pwr was cut for a long period till you returned and found out that you had no power to then have to head to the PEA office, pay your fine and bill and wait to have your pwr reconnected.

There is also a branch of the Elec. company In Jomtien, on Chaiyapruk-2, just east of Sukumvit. Bills can be paid there.

post-53404-0-01693100-1349101566_thumb.j

At the bottom of your electric bill there are two small numbers mixed with some Thai gibberish. Those numbers define the range of dates when you can pay at 7/11. If they are 22 and 29, you can pay from the 22nd of the month thru the 29th.

Brilliant, thanks for that, very close to home.

Learned about those numbers being dates today

I guess it's to each his own. I'd take the very rare occasion of a bad employee running a scam over the very common occurrence of missing a payment. Please keep my power on as I have a family and can afford to be out of pocket some cash until the scam gets sorted vs being without power and having the living I make be interrupted not to mention how the stuff in the ref feels not having power. I find it hard to believe that your pwr was restored within 3 hrs of being cut. You mean, your pwr was cut for a long period till you returned and found out that you had no power to then have to head to the PEA office, pay your fine and bill and wait to have your pwr reconnected.

Indeed, meter was taken away several days earlier when I came back from overseas, and to add injury to insult, my return was on a late afternoon Friday.I went to PEA in Naklua and my meter was replaced within 3 hours.

If you have ever met me you would agree that I have some kind of persuasion power though. biggrin.png

Indeed, meter was taken away several days earlier when I came back from overseas, and to add injury to insult, my return was on a late afternoon Friday.I went to PEA in Naklua and my meter was replaced within 3 hours.

If you have ever met me you would agree that I have some kind of persuasion power though. biggrin.png

Sounds like you were very fortunate to get it turned back out so quickly. How would it have gone if you flew back in the evening?

^^In that case I would probably have to stay at a hotel for the weekend. But I guess for the amount of 6 months interest on a refund of 25000 Baht, I could afford a weekend stay at a cheap hotel biggrin.png

Clearly auto pay is not for you.

"autopay".

In my home-country, someone, can order your bank to transfer money from your account (direct debit) - they should have been authorized by yourself ( direct debit authorisation) .

this kind of payment is normally used for paying electric, rent etc.

you can cancel this payment (a payment already done) within a time frame (about 4 weeks)

Is it the same in Thailand? It should be ! Otherwise someone could "clean" your account up to the limit and there would be the chance, that you will never get the money back!

so, is there a way of cancelling a payment made by direct debit?

"autopay".

In my home-country, someone, can order your bank to transfer money from your account (direct debit) - they should have been authorized by yourself ( direct debit authorisation) .

you can cancel this payment (a payment already done) within a time frame (about 4 weeks)

Is it the same in Thailand? It should be ! Otherwise someone could "clean" your account up to the limit and there would be the chance, that you will never get the money back!

Good question. I have never encountered this so I have never asked. Only PEA and the city water works have our authorization for direct debit. I bet if there was some fraud involved then you could talk with you bank about it. After all, the funds go from your account to another bank account. Not like cash is paid out. There is a paper trail.

For out TRUE bill we do auto pay with our SCB credit card. That is even better as you could always do a chargeback for fraudulent charge. Again, we have never needed to do this.

EDIT: Just realized that we also have direct bill pay for TOT landline that is 107thb a month. Probably should cancel that service as we never use it and it's super cheap and easy to have turned back on if needed for such things as telephone or ADSL.

Edited by Jayman

I was at the main office in Naklua with my wife yesterday to pay our bill, we arrived at 0900 hours and we got no 379 or something like that and 200 people around. I am not very good at waiting so I told my wife that she can call me when it done and I will come back and pick her up in the car which I did 1030.

I had auto pay on my last house and I don't want that again for 2 reasons: unless you check your bank account you can get shafted (see above; 25k bath) and the bills just paid every month and you don't know why you are 25k bath short.

Then I sold the house and went down to the bank and told them to stop paying for the water. The bank SCB told me that I first had to go to the water company and tell them to stop the payment. I told the bank: this is my money so I order you to stop paying! and they said: can not do mister. Because of a fuxk-up with the transfer of this house the water company would not stopping sending the bills to my bank so in the end I paid for 6 month on my old house, but thankfully the new owners are nice people so they paid me the money back. Only way I could had stopped SCB was to move all my money to another bank, lol.

I gladly go to 7/11 and pay for water/elec. every month (when I remember).

"autopay".

Good question. I have never encountered this so I have never asked. Only PEA and the city water works have our authorization for direct debit. I bet if there was some fraud involved then you could talk with you bank about it. After all, the funds go from your account to another bank account. Not like cash is paid out. There is a paper trail.

Sure, you could talk with your bank about. And that's where it will end, with talk about.Read Guzzi850"s post and you can have an idea about how helpful they will be.

And you're correct, autopay is clearly not for me, and there seem to be more people of my opinion.

Nobody can take a lot of money from your "autodebitaccount" if you do setup right..

For autobill open separate account and do not keep there too much money

You can also setup automatic refill payments from your regular acoount to your "autodebit account"

• Like 1

Nobody can take a lot of money from your "autodebitaccount" if you do setup right..

You can also setup automatic refill payments from your regular acoount to your "autodebit account"

Uhmm, autopay is supossed to be a convenience, not a full time job

Uhmm, autopay is supossed to be a convenience, not a full time job

Like running to 7/11 to pay your bill.. ooops forget to pay.. now head to PEA.

With SCB, everything can be done online and setup to run automatically every month like these transfer he mentions.

But listen mate, to each his own. No one is trying to convince you or saying what you are doing is right or wrong. I believe the point of the auto bill is for convenience and also that might be the ONLY way ppl that don't stay in Thailand full time have to pay their bills.

When we first bought the house and setup all we could on autopay it was because we were traveling back and forth to the US and were not always here to go to 7/11 to pay the bills. With autopay we never had to worry about missing a payment.

Now that we are here full time, it's more hassle to go and cancel all the autopays and since we have never had any issues and they are quite convenient we will just keep is as is.

Thank you for the warning to watch the payments every month to make sure there is no scamming going on. It does sound like you were able to get your over charge back so to act like once it happens you have no recourse is a bit over dramatic.

Edited by Jayman

Like running to 7/11 to pay your bill.. ooops forget to pay.. now head to PEA.

Look at my Avatar and username.I don't forget to pay.
But listen mate, to each his own. No one is trying to convince you or saying what you are doing is right or wrong.
However I have to say that you're doing your best.
Thank you for the warning to watch the payments every month to make sure there is no scamming going on. It does sound like you were able to get your over charge back so to act like once it happens you have no recourse is a bit over dramatic.

I didn't get the overcharge back, I insisted not to pay the bill untill they corrected it, which needed some very strong arguments before they agreed to it.It took them 6 months to send me a corrected bill.There were reports of business owners who had bills that were over a hundred thousand.This story was frontpage news in Pattaya Mail at that time,maybe you can find something in the archives.