Gold Shop Robber Set Upon By Angry Crowd After Failed Robbery

Rimmer

Former Airline employee attempts robbery at Central Pattaya Gold Shop

gold-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--A former dishwasher employed by a Thai Airline was arrested just after 8pm on Monday following an attempted robbery from a Central Pattaya Gold Shop owned by a Pattaya City Councilor.

Following the activation of a panic button, Police made their way to the Thong Dee Yaovaraj Gold Shop on the Central Pattaya Road and were met with a scene of chaos as members of the public decided to offer their own form of justice on the robbery suspect, Khun Krungkai aged 32, who is currently unemployed. The badly injured suspect was rushed to Hospital suffering from head and lower-body injuries.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Gietisak was assigned to the case and first spoke with the owner of the shop, Khun Banjong aged 50, who is also a member of the recently elected Pattaya City Administration and sustained a minor injury to his leg due to broken glass. He explained how the suspect entered the shop and attempted to escape with a gold necklace. A panic button was activated which automatically locked the door to the shop which caused the suspect to panic as he was trapped inside. He pulled on the front door with some force but still could not open the door. At this point a female shop assistant Khun Naowarat aged 49 approached the suspect and was allegedly punched in the face.

This was seen by members of the public outside the shop. She retreated and more force was used by the suspect who managed to open the door which caused the front windows to smash, causing the lower-body injuries which were sustained by the suspect who was then set-upon by on-lookers as soon as he left the shop and tried to make his escape.

Full story:pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-10-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Having in my previous employment been involved in the design and implementation of controlled access systems for a number of major building societies here in the UK, I can say without exception the purpose of electric locking doors was to keep out attackers, not detain them.

The shop owner was lucky to sustain only minor injuries, if the robber had really set about him it could have been worse.

Hmmmm vigilante justice comes to Pattya - a worrying trend IMHO sad.png

I agree vigilante justice is not the best, however I think it is hardly a "worrying trend" as the other option (police) is often worse.

OK fair point - I'll re-phrase that: perhaps the start of a worrying trend.