2013 Platinum Px250 Enduro 67,000B

NomadJoe

Hello again,

Here's another point of view of a plat owner. Bike has only 300km. Been riding to muang gnai chiang dao and while my wife had her hair done i went do boys stuff : 10km on dirt roads (flat... the road) and then to wiang haen (stopped about 20km before).

Got a better idea of the bike. Let's start with con's :

Mono cylinder (used to my gsx-r 750 k8)

When breaking on angle (i only use the front break), the bike loses some precision giving it a feeling the feont fork will break. May due to the single disc break (vs my 750) ? Should try another similar bike to see if same feeling.

Since the off road riding, something has changed in the front fork. Hard to identify yet. See also previous comment.

Low top speed 95km/h but it's a mono...

Small turn angle. I have to remember that all the time when doing u-turn. And even that i always have to put a feet down to compensate my turn.

Commands could be of better quality but they still work so who cares.

Now a big issue for me is no distance resettable counter. Hopefully there is the reserve light at least.

Now the pro's :

Very good handling, easy to ride

Good to ride with pillion too.

Sweet sound with everything stock.

Ok power.

Nice look.

Cheap and cheap. Allows you to upgrade specific parts if wanted, staying probably in a cheaper budget than other brands stock bikes.

Regarding durability will have to wait a bit ;-)

To resume this bike has the most of what i expect from such a bike. It's not a racing bike but the competitors bike either. Sweet bike for riding around and in CM.

Have a nice day

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again,

Here's another point of view of a plat owner. Bike has only 300km. Been riding to muang gnai chiang dao and while my wife had her hair done i went do boys stuff : 10km on dirt roads (flat... the road) and then to wiang haen (stopped about 20km before).

Got a better idea of the bike. Let's start with con's :

Mono cylinder (used to my gsx-r 750 k8)

When breaking on angle (i only use the front break), the bike loses some precision giving it a feeling the feont fork will break. May due to the single disc break (vs my 750) ? Should try another similar bike to see if same feeling.

Since the off road riding, something has changed in the front fork. Hard to identify yet. See also previous comment.

Low top speed 95km/h but it's a mono...

Small turn angle. I have to remember that all the time when doing u-turn. And even that i always have to put a feet down to compensate my turn.

Commands could be of better quality but they still work so who cares.

Now a big issue for me is no distance resettable counter. Hopefully there is the reserve light at least.

Now the pro's :

Very good handling, easy to ride

Good to ride with pillion too.

Sweet sound with everything stock.

Ok power.

Nice look.

Cheap and cheap. Allows you to upgrade specific parts if wanted, staying probably in a cheaper budget than other brands stock bikes.

Regarding durability will have to wait a bit ;-)

To resume this bike has the most of what i expect from such a bike. It's not a racing bike but the competitors bike either. Sweet bike for riding around and in CM.

Have a nice day

I actualy found my forks go very soft very quick ofter a litttle off roading so has them topped up a little,what a difference,, will change for better oil if they soften again,

unles my speedo is different than yours or because mine is run in? at 95 the crf said 95 and i still went on to 105 and still had a little left if i wanted it

Edited by DEANEBURNE

I actualy found my forks go very soft very quick ofter a litttle off roading so has them topped up a little,what a difference,, will change for better oil if they soften again,

unles my speedo is different than yours or because mine is run in? at 95 the crf said 95 and i still went on to 105 and still had a little left if i wanted it

You may want to change to a more heavy weight fork oil if you find that they go soft when offroad. This is most probably caused by the heat, which will thin out the oil.

Do not know what is in there now, but for info ATF (auto transmission fluid) is about 7 weight. Don't hesitate to experiment - you can mix different weight oils no problem. But use a non-detergent oil - not engine oil. Of course dedicated fork oil will give the best performance.

You may want to change to a more heavy weight fork oil if you find that they go soft when offroad. This is most probably caused by the heat, which will thin out the oil.

Do not know what is in there now, but for info ATF (auto transmission fluid) is about 7 weight. Don't hesitate to experiment - you can mix different weight oils no problem. But use a non-detergent oil - not engine oil. Of course dedicated fork oil will give the best performance.

Thanks for that, i was going to pop into the off road Motorsport shop in C,m and get some heavier fork oil as i know they stock it , but first was going to try and find out from platinum dealer the exact quantity i should be putting in/i know if i drain off i should put the same in that came out however i did top them up a bit with standard fork oil when they first went soft,

Are some people suggesting if you ride a Platinum you can't attract interest from the opposite sex? Cos that's weird! blink.png

555 Most girls know little about bikes or cars. If it's nice and shiney it usually impresses.

I once asked an ex girlfriend what she thought of my new Porche. Very nice she replied. It was a Vauxhall Cavalier!

copy and pasted from another review site

hi all i brought a px 250 cc for my bike rental in pattaya the cost was 65000 baht on the road this sept , i changed the tyres from the off road to road tyres cost 2600 baht

the gearing is all wrong so changing the rear sprocket down 4-5 teath apart from that all good, iv owned hundreds of bike and raced for many years so i do know a few things about bikes , feed back from

customers 100 % happy .

• 2 weeks later...

Just little update. I changed the oil in the front shocks yesterday. Took me 8 hours because I followed the instructions from a Youtube video. I've learnt now :-))

For the change of oil, you need to have the shocks removed. Do not, unless you want to waste time, remove the bold that is at the bottom. This will release the shock completely and is a bit of a mess to put back (couple hours to figure out how to do it myself with only 2 hands ! ;-)). Next time I will do it, I will follow these steps :

- hang the bike or just the front wheel

- release the upper bolts of the shock (can have them completely out = risk of oil leaking when removing, or have them just unscrewed of 2-3 turns)

- take front wheel off (brake first of course : be careful not to "break" once off, it's a nightmare to open again)

- remove the shocks from the bike

- unscrew the upper bolts completely. Under the big bolt, there is a place to put a wrench. Unscrew the big bolt from that.

- turn your shocks upside down and let the oil leak (in a container)

With patience, the oil will empty. Now time to put the new oil in. Probably have different ways to do it, here is what I did yesterday :

- put the shocks back on the bike

- mount the front wheel (and breaks)

- lift the wheel so that the "big" bolts are about 20cm higher than the upper part of shock. I've put my tool case under the wheel to keep it up.

- with something that allows you to pour liquid in a narrow place, put the oil in the "middle" cylinder (obvious when the shock is in that position = squeezed up). I've put about 0.3l of 7.5w.

- remove the tool box (let the wheel in normal position)

- tighten the "big" bolts

- test drive !

Doing so should take about 2-3 hours.

Again, do not remove the bottom bold ! Do not believe what you see on youtube ! ;-))

Had a very small drive yesterday, the bike feels a lot better. I also noticed that the center chrome bolt beneath the handlebar was loose. So tightened it too. Will try to find sometime today to have a better test drive outside the city.

Cheers !

Are some people suggesting if you ride a Platinum you can't attract interest from the opposite sex? Cos that's weird! blink.png

555 Most girls know little about bikes or cars. If it's nice and shiney it usually impresses.

I once asked an ex girlfriend what she thought of my new Porche. Very nice she replied. It was a Vauxhall Cavalier!

Maybe true for country side girls.

But hi so chinese thai girls in Bangkok know all and they sure do not give a sh.t to platinum:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• 5 weeks later...

Hello. Small update. The bike nears 1000 km and still runs like a charm.

Finally got plate and green book. So modified the rear a bit. It cost time and 100.- bht to do (myself again). See attached picture.

If anybody knows where i could buy a smaller rear dented "wheel" (the part that makes the rear wheel turn). I would like to loose power for more speed, or actually have better gear staging as the first is quite short in use.

Cheers

post-129129-0-95666300-1361500010_thumb.

"If anybody knows where i could buy a smaller rear dented "wheel" (the part that makes the rear wheel turn)"

That's very creative. I knew straight away what you meant.

thumbsup.gif

toothed wheel = dental(ed) wheel = dented wheel ?

Maybe? smile.png

I also have serious reservations with Platinum motorcycles, but everybody can improve there act. Still 67,000 THB seems a bit much, my hope is on Shineray that they can get homologation for their Shineray XY250GY-4 motorcycle it only costs 38,000 THB (currently not road legal). I know two persons who have a Platinum, one has a PX125 and the other a PX175 and they seem happy with it, but all the bad things I hear about Platinum cannot be all lies...

kII2tkRhT10804160849.jpg

The Shineray XY250GY-4 comes with 18" wheels so it should be easy to get regular "supermotard" road tires for it without the need to change the rims... The Shineray XY250GY-4 is powered by a 230cc air-cooled engine presumably made by Zongshen

Here is my two-penneth....... If I had to buy a cheap bike for playing in the dirt it wouldn't be the Platinum, anyone who fits a drum brake on an off-road bike can't be that experienced, so what is the rest of the bike like? The above Shineray seems much more sensible, 250cc (perfect) cheaper too and who wants it to be road legal anyway, knocking the crap out of a bike off-road and then riding it in the city of highway ...my dee?

38,000baht is not a lot of dough for a lot of fun and when it breaks get the welder and hammer out, no need to worry about bits breaking off, superglue is cheap here.

Edited by AllanB

I also have serious reservations with Platinum motorcycles, but everybody can improve there act. Still 67,000 THB seems a bit much, my hope is on Shineray that they can get homologation for their Shineray XY250GY-4 motorcycle it only costs 38,000 THB (currently not road legal). I know two persons who have a Platinum, one has a PX125 and the other a PX175 and they seem happy with it, but all the bad things I hear about Platinum cannot be all lies...

kII2tkRhT10804160849.jpg

The Shineray XY250GY-4 comes with 18" wheels so it should be easy to get regular "supermotard" road tires for it without the need to change the rims... The Shineray XY250GY-4 is powered by a 230cc air-cooled engine presumably made by Zongshen

Here is my two-penneth....... If I had to buy a cheap bike for playing in the dirt it wouldn't be the Platinum, anyone who fits a drum brake on an off-road bike can't be that experienced, so what is the rest of the bike like? The above Shineray seems much more sensible, 250cc (perfect) cheaper too and who wants it to be road legal anyway, knocking the crap out of a bike off-road and then riding it in the city of highway ...my dee?

38,000baht is not a lot of dough for a lot of fun and when it breaks get the welder and hammer out, no need to worry about bits breaking off, superglue is cheap here.

your problems start though when it breaks and you are stuck in the jungle in the middle of nowhere just using these bikes for road riding you have no worries repair shops are everywhere but once you go off road you are looking for reliability and that is why I wouldn't buy any of these bikes for off roading Edited by taninthai

kII2tkRhT10804160849.jpg

AllanB, what's got into you? smile.png

As long as you don't go mud diving it shouldn't really matter if rear disc or drum brake. And these thingies are no "off-road bikes", they are "Enduros", made to go a bit off road while mainly be driven on the street. Same as the Honda CRF or the KLX. If you stress these kind of bikes too hard off road they will fall to pieces sooner or later smile.png

It is no more convenient to be sitting on a broken Honda out on the trail than it is a broken platinum. But at least the low tech bikes look familiar to the back road somchai fixit's.

I haven't had to haul my bike (Lifan) home yet from the trail though (aside from a flat, but I still drove it out) so I have to ask Taninthai what's it like?

^

Cannock you are asking the wrong person I'm the same as you never had an issue yet and belive me my bikes been thrown around dropped And dragged on it's side more times than I care to remember bent radiator and bent footbrake is the worst I've had,I do wonder if these cheaper bikes would stand up to the same amount of abuse, shame there is no one I know to come riding with me on one of these bikes might change soon as we have a ligand dealer in krabi now selling the whole range including the leeway 200

The spare parts of a Shineray XY250GY-4 would currently worldwide will outshine the distribution of any domestic Thai motorcycle.

I would like to explain that while the Shineray XY250GY-4 is currently not road legal in Thailand, it is is sold in 254 countries for two years around the world, while the 2013 Honda CRF250L is only sold in 25 countries of the world just now...

For the Shireray XY250GY-4 I can find 124 companies, of wich 45 Chinese and 5 USA and 8 South-America and even from some African countries of who make aftermarket parts...

The truth is that selling high end products is not getting the end benefit everybody would expect. Often the lower spec but much cheaper alternative is running away with the provide...

Edited by Richard-BKK

The spare parts of a Shineray XY250GY-4 would currently worldwide will outshine the distribution of any domestic Thai motorcycle.

I would like to explain that while the Shineray XY250GY-4 is currently not road legal in Thailand, it is is sold in 254 countries for two years around the world, while the 2013 Honda CRF250L is only sold in 25 countries of the world just now...

For the Shireray XY250GY-4 I can find 124 companies, of wich 45 Chinese and 5 USA and 8 South-America and even from some African countries of who make aftermarket parts...

The truth is that selling high end products is not getting the end benefit everybody would expect. Often the lower spec but much cheaper alternative is running away with the provide...

Don't want to be a nitpicker, but does the world have 254 countries? Really, i don't know.

Wouldn't it be easier to say "The Shineray XY250GY-4 is sold worldwide"?

;)

Don't want to be a nitpicker, but does the world have 254 countries? Really, i don't know.

Wouldn't it be easier to say "The Shineray XY250GY-4 is sold worldwide"?

;)

Wiki says that there are 196 countries in the world.

Maybe the Chinese count differently:-)

kII2tkRhT10804160849.jpg

AllanB, what's got into you? smile.png

As long as you don't go mud diving it shouldn't really matter if rear disc or drum brake. And these thingies are no "off-road bikes", they are "Enduros", made to go a bit off road while mainly be driven on the street. Same as the Honda CRF or the KLX. If you stress these kind of bikes too hard off road they will fall to pieces sooner or later smile.png

This is Thailand mate...and what happens in Thailand?......it rains....and what happens when it rains?....it gets muddy...very muddy. So what do you do, stay home when conditions are the most fun? giggle.gif

Drum brakes are just the worse thing to have in mud and water. Short term they don't work, medium term they never work again. This looks like a dirt bike to me and according to quite a few youtube vids, it goes like a dirt bike, Enduro is an extremely optimistic term for this lightweight sucker, costing loose change money.. Beamers and KTM, they are Enduros.

Of course they will fall to pieces that is why they invented welders and superglue. If you must go into the jungle go prepared, brown trousers and matching boxers, if not there are millions of miles of trails here. Heaven compared to the UK where all the good land is owned by some rich bastard with 100 miles of barbed wire.

I am almost talking myself into buying one............... I said that out loud didn't I?

Edited by AllanB