Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

Today I sent my lawyer to Land Department in Bangkok. Despite showing the Pink Thai ID card for foreigner and blue Tabien Ban they insisted to see the Blue Book as the ID card is not valid for them. Any similar experience?

I had no luck with SCB (Chitlom branch) when I got my pink ID card and wanted to change my account records. They wouldn't even open another account using the new ID - so I gave up and closed my accounts with them and moved to Bangkok Bank (they didn't care and made no attempt to keep my business). I must say after holding an account with SCB for over 15 years I found them very unhelpful and unfriendly and Bangkok Bank are a lot more proactive at suggesting suitable accounts and even giving the mobile number of the staff to assist. Plus their branch at EmQuartier is super swish and closer to home.

Today I got my new ATM cards at SCB in Ubon Ratchathani; the new ones have 6 digit password numbers which will replace all old 4 digit ATM cards next month.(All banks I believe). I used my pink ID card for identification. The bank staff asked for it because they know me and know I have such a card. No problems whatsoever.

I got my permanent residence in October last year (applied in December 2013). I tried to apply for a pink id card at my local baan amphuer in Bang Lamung but they gave the usual answer saying this card is only for Laotians, Cambodians etc. Does anybody have experience in applying in Bang Lamung, Pattaya or Sri Racha?

I got my PR pink ID card at Banglamung last year. I applied at the same time as adding my name to the blue house book, but had to go back a week or so later for photographing as the ID staff were not familiar with the software for the foreigner card. The card came about 1 month later. I was referred to the lady in charge of the house book section. She was very helpful with the house book and ID card.

Thailand Post wouldn't accept my pink card for sending an EMS mail today. The notice on the counter says it must be the original passport (for foreigners) and says it is mandated by the Narcotics Control Act. It applies to registered domestic mail too.

Thailand Post wouldn't accept my pink card for sending an EMS mail today. The notice on the counter says it must be the original passport (for foreigners) and says it is mandated by the Narcotics Control Act. It applies to registered domestic mail too.

The car is a hit and miss on most of the ocassions. Just out of curiousity, you hold PR for a long time already, being the OP of the PR thread, why didn't you go for citizenship yet?

If I remember correctly, at the time I got my PR I would have had to wait 5 years to apply for citizenship, but I retired just before I reached the 5 years. I can't say I was ever very interested in citizenship, though.

I'd be interested to see the relevant article in the Narcotics Control Act.

In the meantime, I suggest you tell the guy at the post office that he should call the Khet or Amphur that issued the card, so that they can confirm to him that it is a valid form of ID in Thailand.

What contributes to the confusion with the pink "ID" card is that on the reverse it says:

OFFICE OF CENTRAL REGISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATION MININISTRY OF INTERIOR
INSTRUCTION FOR HOLDER IDENTIFICATION
1.This card is not ID.card
2.To carry all times for review
3.Do not allow the name on the card to leave the issue area unless those who have certificate of alien registration or who have allow writing letter.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anyone have a different translation of the back of the card?
FYI, mine starts with a 6, thus not one for PRs, which start with 8.
Mac

post-32650-0-49208200-1466728760_thumb.j

In the meantime, I suggest you tell the guy at the post office that he should call the Khet or Amphur that issued the card, so that they can confirm to him that it is a valid form of ID in Thailand.

The actual wording of the notice is pretty vague: "According to the notification of the Prime Minister's Office about Narcotics Control Act B.E. 1976..." So the main message is that this is coming from the PM's office. crazy.gif

The actual wording of the notice is pretty vague: "According to the notification of the Prime Minister's Office about Narcotics Control Act B.E. 1976..." So the main message is that this is coming from the PM's office. crazy.gif

I cannot find anything in that notification that says that foreigners must use their passport: http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/Narcotics-Act-part3.html

Either I missed it or your friendly neighbourhood postman just made that up. Or, of course, the translation is wrong.

What contributes to the confusion with the pink "ID" card is that on the reverse it says:

OFFICE OF CENTRAL REGISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATION MININISTRY OF INTERIOR
INSTRUCTION FOR HOLDER IDENTIFICATION
1.This card is not ID.card
2.To carry all times for review
3.Do not allow the name on the card to leave the issue area unless those who have certificate of alien registration or who have allow writing letter.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anyone have a different translation of the back of the card?
FYI, mine starts with a 6, thus not one for PRs, which start with 8.
Mac

The card you scanned does not say "This is not an ID card". It says "This is not a citizen's ID card", meaning that the holder is not a Thai citizen.

The top line on the front of the card says "ID card for people who are not Thai citizens".

Hope to have clarified.

• Like 1

I cannot find anything in that notification that says that foreigners must use their passport: http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/Narcotics-Act-part3.html

Either I missed it or your friendly neighbourhood postman just made that up. Or, of course, the translation is wrong.

Well, I went into the same post office today, different counter, and the lady said pink card was fine. laugh.png

Here's the notice, if you want to check the Thai version.

post-8384-0-51188400-1466773144_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Well, I went into the same post office today, different counter, and the lady said pink card was fine. laugh.png

The English version states that foreigners must use their passport according to the notification, but I do not see that confirmed in the notification. Some postal clerk just made that up, probably because that clerk didn't know that there are foreigners that have pink ID cards. The Thai version says that they have to present their citizen ID and is only addressed at Thai people and does not mention foreigners.

Good to hear that the lady you went to today was familiar with the pink ID card, as it is a valid ID for you.

The English version states that foreigners must use their passport according to the notification, but I do not see that confirmed in the notification. Some postal clerk just made that up, probably because that clerk didn't know that there are foreigners that have pink ID cards. The Thai version says that they have to present their citizen ID and is only addressed at Thai people and does not mention foreigners.

Good to hear that the lady you went to today was familiar with the pink ID card, as it is a valid ID for you.

Encouraging to hear of Camerata's experience.I obtained my pink card three weeks ago but have yet to test its acceptability.The reality is however that for the foreseeable future it will have an unpredictable level of acceptance - which means that a passport will be required on many occasions.To pretend otherwise is unrealistic and frankly - for the time being at least - makes the pink ID card of marginal value.I could easily live without it although to be fair it was very straightforward to obtain so I would recommend other PR holders to do so.

Just for your info.

This Pink Card is for PR and also Non PR.

I am on Retirement and have a Yellow Book (Tambian Baan).

I got my Pink Card some time ago.

Those with PR starts with the Number #8.

And those who are NON PR starts with the Number #6.

Mine starts with Number #6.

• Like 1

Glad to confirm I got my non Thai ID card issued today at Pattaya city hall. I had called in advance and they had told me to come around 3pm as they would be done with the Thai ID cards by then and the process would be a lot quicker. Documents needed were passport, residence certificate, alien certificate and tabien baan. They took my finger prints, asked for blood type and parents names and took my picture, The whole process took about an hour from arriving to holding the card in my hand and the staff was very friendly and courteous throughout.

Congrats mate, and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went today Amphur Phaisali, Province Nakhon Sawan. Yellow book issued in Phaisali 4 years ago and begins with a 6. I speak little Thai and they spoke little English so it was a mishmash. They told me no ID because of the number 6. I needed a number 8 which apparently is issued in a blue book. I don't have a blue book. They told me to go to Immigration office in Nakhon Sawan and get a Cerificate of Residency. I replied that they would just look at the yellow book for that certificate. They had no idea of what the pink card was except for the emphasis on the number 8. Now what can I do?

• 2 months later...

Incase of foreign children involved, the school has to have received a notification of the need for this card for a specific foreign /non/thai child attending a Thai/Private (and/or government ?) school in order to study without a ED visa(they already have a dependent visa(example)

Foreign kids studying in Thailand need an ED visa, not if the children are granted a Thai-non-Thai ID card.

Like ours.

The school they attend received a letter for each of them , inviting to go to municipility to apply and collect.

which we all did ofcourse.

Edited by hgma

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2016 at 11:20 PM, jayboy said:

How much effort is involved in taking along pp/alien book etc when opening a bank account? Answer - none at all. Sensible to take them along anyway as even with pink id card might well have to produce at least pp.I've never carried anything except documents scans in my iphone - and never been asked for them.LIfetime driving license works well at parks etc.

But an interesting question remains.Are PR holders required to carry passport around? If the answer is definitely yes (though I never have), then I would procure a pink id.

if you are a PR holder you do not need a passport unless you want to go abroad

On 6/25/2016 at 11:45 AM, jayboy said:

Encouraging to hear of Camerata's experience.I obtained my pink card three weeks ago but have yet to test its acceptability.The reality is however that for the foreseeable future it will have an unpredictable level of acceptance - which means that a passport will be required on many occasions.To pretend otherwise is unrealistic and frankly - for the time being at least - makes the pink ID card of marginal value.I could easily live without it although to be fair it was very straightforward to obtain so I would recommend other PR holders to do so.

you do not have to have a passport if you have PR. Your red alien book acts in lieu of a passport

On 6/25/2016 at 6:04 PM, Kismet said:

Just for your info.

This Pink Card is for PR and also Non PR.

I am on Retirement and have a Yellow Book (Tambian Baan).

I got my Pink Card some time ago.

Those with PR starts with the Number #8.

And those who are NON PR starts with the Number #6.

Mine starts with Number #6.

and mine starts with the number 3 on the top front and there is another number on th back B  008....... i am a PR so a bit confused

11 hours ago, gamini said:

you do not have to have a passport if you have PR. Your red alien book acts in lieu of a passport

Not really.Firstly the red book is made of decades old paper and is very fragile.Mine at least would soon disintegrate if I carried it every day.Secondly and more importantly it is not widely understood or recognised.It certainly does not in practice act in lieu of a passport.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jayboy said:

Not really.Firstly the red book is made of decades old paper and is very fragile.Mine at least would soon disintegrate if I carried it every day.Secondly and more importantly it is not widely understood or recognised.It certainly does not in practice act in lieu of a passport.

That's where the pink ID card comes in, about which this thread is anyway.

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

That's where the pink ID card comes in, about which this thread is anyway.

True, except for the fact the pink card ( I received one recently) is not at all well understood or accepted.Over time things will improve but it could be years.The practical position is that unless one is prepared for a tedious and possibly unproductive outcome, it's necessary to have a passport handy for back up.My experience - admittedly limited - is that a lifetime driver's license is as useful as the pink id.

I accept that for some PRs there are few more interesting and productive activities than spending hours arguing with Thai officials about the authority and purpose of the pink id, and that's fine.