Departure At 7.40 Am. - Best Time To Check In?

xerostar

Thai Airways check in is awful early in the morning, in case you're flying with them, but immigration on departure has improved a lot of late. I'm flying tomorrow morning , and will give myself 2 hours (fortunately not with Thai).

Thai business is always OK - its over-manned if anything.

Many airlines offer on-line check-in up to 24 hours prior to departure, and some have self-checking baggage stations.

Typically one can determine the services available by checking the airline's website.

Can the OP share any details re: the carrier? I'm guessing you are on TG 620 to MNL? If so, what class of service?

http://www.thaiairways.com/plan-your-trip/internet-checkin/en/internet-checkin.htm

http://www.thaiairways.co.th/faqs/en/on-ground-faqs.htm#faq0

Thanks for your helpful replies.

I was flying with Thai airways to Perth scheduled to depart at 7.40am Sunday.

I got up at 3.50am and got ready.

At that time of the morning I was sleeping on my feet (a horrible time to be up, if you're not used to it ..)

I had arranged a taxi for 5.00am from Sukhumvit. There wasn't much traffic so I arrived at Suvarnabumi at 5.35am

Check-in was fairly crowded at both sides of number 4 (Thai Airways) gate.

That took about 40 minutes shuffling along on the long snaking queues complete with frustrated mothers with howling babies

- and eager-beavers nudging my heels with their trolleys .. grrr

So check-in was achieved by 7.15am.

Going up the escalator to customs/bag security check was a new experience after my last visit 2 years ago when all was on one level (and chaotic)

I had forgotten that a breakfast box (which the hotel supplied) was in my cabin bag (they picked up the small carton of orange juice on the x-ray).

The young lady on security asked me if I'd prefer to have my breakfast now and provided me a seat for that purpose.

I was pleased that she offered me the courtesy and enjoyed a delicious ham sandwich and the orange juice, knowing I had plenty of time left.

Immigration was downstairs again (as I remember) and only needed 5 minutes as there were no queues.

So in all, I was ready to walk to gate C1 by 7.40am.

Arrived at the gate area by7.50am and had time to check my email at the free internet station - which is a great idea!

After 20 minutes I strolled down to the C1 gate for another security bag-check and hand-in my boarding pass/passport, into the departure lounge area.

I read a newspaper for 10 minutes and then joined the queue to go out the skybridge and down the stairs to a waiting bus ...

By that time it was 8.20am.

I just missed the first bus and waited 5 minutes for another one.

It was a long 5 minute bus ride to the aircraft which must have been on the other side of the airport !

I boarded the aircraft by climbing the stairs at about 8.30am

There was a long delay as other small bus-loads of passengers arrived at the aircraft.

I believe they were from connecting flights from other airlines. Every seat was occupied. (chockers)

A giant of a lady sat in front of my seat and immediately put her seat back to the max which left me feeling claustrophobic and annoyed.

We were "under way" by about 9.00am and taxied for 15 minutes before taking off at 9.15am.

Apart from take-off and landing I remained "imprisoned" in my seat for about 7 hours and the guy next to me wasn't interested in talking.

So I'd recommend arriving the full 3 hours before scheduled departure with Thai Airways so you'll have a relaxing (although very prolonged) departure.

Even though it's very "cool" to arrive at the last minute, It's better to be a little too early than to end up in a panic and having a very stressful time trying to reach your aircraft before you miss your flight.