Choosing A Tablet

canuckamuck

So I have the Ainol Novo 10 Hero now for a few days, and my first impression is that the build quality is nowhere near the Onda. It's housing is clicked together instead of screwed and if you hold it you can bend it slightly and it will make noises.

I opened it already, as it is very easy to open without a single tool, and the components inside are as written on the box.The IPS screen is made by LG.I read somewhere that LG is the leader in IPS screen manufacturing.

It has 2 batteries of 4000 MAh each, and lasts a very long time.Boy has been reading and playing games on it for a continious 6 hours and the battery had still 35% load.

In standby it uses maybe 2-3 % battery in 24 Hours.

It functions well however it crashes regulary, which means that something will stop responding.Sometimes the touchscreen, or the G-sensor or once it wouldn't boot anymore.

I found on forums that there is a hidden reset button inside the microphone hole. You will need to use a needle or something similar to press it and then the unit will function normal again.It doesn't do a factory restore or similar, I guess it just clears the cache or something.

So far I had to reset it 4 times already, not really a favorable sign.

We will see how long it lasts, but definitely if the batteries from the Onda would last longer I choose that over an Ainol.

You can usually also reboot a hung-up tablet by holding down the power button for around 10 seconds. It does not do a factory reset; it just gets it going again. Kinda like when a computer hangs up and you can't get it to respond via keyboard or mouse....just holding the power button down for about 10 seconds will get it to turn off/turn on.

My Onda V971 has occasionally hung-up when I'm on the internet browsing or maybe on YouTube....but not very often at all...around once or twice a week...probably closer to the once a week estimate...but can't remember one time when it hung-up using an App which is not dependent on the internet/operates independently of the internet. But hey, even my high end/pricey Samsung Note 10.1 tablet has hung-up on YouTube once or twice over the 7 weeks we've had it....wife was probably pushing some video menu selections too fast and confused thing. Or maybe it's just my True DOCSIS/cable internet connection that confuses the tablets on some internet dependent Apps. Plus, I think tablet internet browsers/apps may be more susceptible to hang-up/network hic-ups than desktop/laptop computer browsers/programs.

I will have to agreed the build sturdiness of the Onda products, or at least my V971, seems good and solid...maybe it's just the aluminim back shell that stiffens everything up. But at the same time, my Samsung Note 10.1 comes with a plastic back shell and seems just as stiff/strudy...not noises.

My Onda V971 has occasionally hung-up when I'm on the internet browsing or maybe on YouTube....but not very often at all...around once or twice a week...probably closer to the once a week estimate...but can't remember one time when it hung-up using an App which is not dependent on the internet/operates independently of the internet. But hey, even my high end/pricey Samsung Note 10.1 tablet has hung-up on YouTube once or twice over the 7 weeks we've had it....wife was probably pushing some video menu selections too fast and confused thing. Or maybe it's just my True DOCSIS/cable internet connection that confuses the tablets on some internet dependent Apps. Plus, I think tablet internet browsers/apps may be more susceptible to hang-up/network hic-ups than desktop/laptop computer browsers/programs.

I will have to agreed the build sturdiness of the Onda products, or at least my V971, seems good and solid...maybe it's just the aluminim back shell that stiffens everything up. But at the same time, my Samsung Note 10.1 comes with a plastic back shell and seems just as stiff/strudy...not noises.

We have had the Onda v971 about 3 months. The family uses it to play games and look at Youtube clips and I use it occasionally for internet browsing and e-mail (its great to use while laying on the sofa for 5 minutes, but I still prefer my laptop for anything longer) . Connection to the interent is always via wifi, and never with a cable. It gets used between 2 and 6 hours each day. It has never hung-up, locked-up or required rebooting, not once. Even after continuous use for 6 hours, the battery shows about 35% remaining. The kids have only fully drained the battery once, as I recall. For the price, the Onda v971 is an exceptional piece of equipment, and we are very pleased with it. I may get a v972 in the next month or so. The kids can do everything with the tablet, except share it! I was going to check out both the Onda v972 and the quad-core Ainol, but now, based on the post above, I am leaning to just get the new Onda.

The only thing it needs to make it complete is 3G and a sim. Hopefully, that isn't too far into the future.

Edited by Thailaw

I really want to try one of these new A31 quad retina 9.7" tablets. However Ainol has clearly an advantage with 10.000 mah battery (if it is real of course, simply because you can't trust chinese specs). Unfortunately I can't find it within Thailand, out of stock.

I can import it from chinese online dealers but why the hassle while you can buy it in Thailand almost same price?

Have you checked here if they have stock

http://www.digilifeg...m/840504/tablet

I got confirmed by Digilife that they have currently stock of all the tablets shown on their website.

You can order online or visit one of their branches, they have also a branch at 3rd floor Panthip.

I just got an email from them today saying they are out of stock for the Onda V972.

I have tried searching/emailing online shops for this model for the last week without much luck.

Anyone know if there are any in Bangkok? I will be there next week to look around but it would be great to reserve 1 in advance.

Just today I emailed the western Bangkok store I bought my V971 from to see if they had V972's in stock. They replied back they are out of stock right now and expect the next shipment 20 Feb. However, I expect that 20 Feb is just a projected arrival date by the store's supplier...in Thai time 20 Feb probably means early March (give or take a few weeks).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well, finally I have bought the Onda V972 from digilife at Pantip Plaza.

I paid 7900 Baht.

And I am very impressed about the build-quality. (Aluminium back cover!)

It came with Android 4.1.1.

I updated it with the last (1.32) Firmware.

I rooted it (because of Adaway) and installed CWM.

The root script from here also removed the Chinese apps and also some Play store restrictions.

After that, I installed XBMC and XBMC runs with absolutely smooth with ~75-80 frames/second!!

All in all a real bargain.

• Like 1

Really been enjoying it especially since the Onda firmware comes "rooted" which allows use of some Apps like Titanium Backup Pro which work best or only work on rooted devices...just using and reading up on Titanium Backup use and operation has made me much smarter on core/low level Android operating system features...definitely a sweet App.

Wonder about some clarification on the rooting issue for Onda tablets...

Pib has indicated above that his V971 came rooted upon purchase (in other words, he didn't have to do that process himself).

But now we've got another member, Vel_Tins above, who's bought a V972 talking about having to root the device himself...

So what's the deal with rooting and Onda tablets?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Really been enjoying it especially since the Onda firmware comes "rooted" which allows use of some Apps like Titanium Backup Pro which work best or only work on rooted devices...just using and reading up on Titanium Backup use and operation has made me much smarter on core/low level Android operating system features...definitely a sweet App.

Wonder about some clarification on the rooting issue for Onda tablets...

Pib has indicated above that his V971 came rooted upon purchase (in other words, he didn't have to do that process himself).

But now we've got another member, Vel_Tins above, who's bought a V972 talking about having to root the device himself...

So what's the deal with rooting and Onda tablets?

Onda and Ainol tablets come rooted from factory.I guess Veltins confuses installing a custom rom with rooting.

The link he provide clearly states

Description:

- No Root

Onda and Ainol tablets come rooted from factory.I guess Veltins confuses installing a custom rom with rooting.

Simply not true.

So a lot of people at XDA, Slatedroid, Androidhilfe, etc. seem to be confused and don't know the difference between a custom rom and root rolleyes.gif

You shouldn't guess too much, if you don't know the facts.

From the XDA Onda V972 thread:

ROOT_Limpieza_Logo_V3 - This script, created by the Spanish user in the vast htcmania not only ROOT device, but also removes the (retaining a backup) Chinese application, and also sets the Nova Launcher. And also changes Boot Animation

Read my post again.

Fact is: my V972 came unrooted!

It *may (or even not)* depend on the model/firmware version/whatever, if the device is rooted or not!

However, the rooting is easy and you can't brick the V972, as it's always flashable by "PhoenixSuite"

Edited by vel_tins

Simply not true.

So a lot of people at XDA, Slatedroid, Androidhilfe, etc. seem to be confused and don't know the difference between a custom rom and root rolleyes.gif

Read my post again.

It *may (or even not)* depend on the model/firmware version/whatever, if the device is rooted or not!

However, the rooting is easy and you can't brick the V972, as it's always flashable by "PhoenixSuite"

Maybe all the ones sold in Thailand come rooted!!

Dunno but maybe the importer asked for it that way.

Ahhh sorry. I see yours wasn't rooted... so maybe some suppliers root them before selling.

Edited by thaicbr

Simply not true.

From the XDA Onda V972 thread:

ROOT_Limpieza_Logo_V3 - This script, created by the Spanish user in the vast htcmania not only ROOT device, but also removes the (retaining a backup) Chinese application, and also sets the Nova Launcher. And also changes Boot Animation

Read my post again.

Easy boy, no need to throw insults.I owned a Onda and own a Ainol now, both came rooted.

You can also take a look what they say on this Android forum about the Onda tablets

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/onda-tablet-forum/51340-new-root-full-working-play-store-google-apps-root-explorer.html

Updated 29.01.13

Works on all Onda Tablets including new Quad-Core tablets, for VI40 Ultimate 4.1.1 go to bottom of guide.

New instructions PLEASE read carefully, if you are unsure just post what files you have in the firmware package, which tablet and which firmware it is currently running.

Please note most Onda Tablets come Pre-Rooted,

In you original post you clearly stated that you installed this rom to remove the chinese apps..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=37844303&postcount=180

Which clearly states that it doesn't root the tablet

Official ROMs

Version 1.32

Official Site

Mega

Release Date: 5 of February 2013

Size: 293 MB

Description:

- No Root

- Improved system stability, bug fixes

Next you can take a look at this review of the Onda 972 and take note of the screenshot from the apps like Titanium back up that are installed already.

Titanium back up needs root smile.png

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/mcbub-com/53158-review-quad-core-onda-v972-tablet-pc-a31-9-7-inch-ips-retina-screen-2048-1536-a.html

I tried to find the Onda V972 in Bangkok but couldnt get one so I bought the Ainol Novo 9 Spark for 8000 Baht at Digilife.

I got the last 1 in stock. So far I am impressed with it but you will need a very strong wi-fi signal to stop it dropping out of range. When I get back to Laos I will try it with the 3G dongle to see if it works. It doesn't support my 4G dongle apparently sad.png

Please note most Onda Tablets come Pre-Rooted,

Maybe most of them, but definetely not all!

The original (1.0.2) firmware came non-rooted.

In you original post you clearly stated that you installed this rom to remove the chinese apps.

Wrong again! Why you don't you read my post(s)?

I never stated, that I installed any ROM to remove the chinese apps!

I wrote that:

I updated it with the last (1.32) Firmware.

I rooted it (because of Adaway) and installed CWM.

The root script from here also removed the Chinese apps and also some Play store restrictions.

Difference between ROM and SCRIPT is clear?

Next you can take a look at this review of the Onda 972 and take note of the screenshot from the apps like Titanium back up that are installed already.

Titanium back up needs root

In the screenshots I can see, that this tablet isn't stock.

Many additional apps installed and I can't find any hint in the text, that the tablet came pre-rooted.....

But maybe I overlooked somethingrolleyes.gif

Edited by vel_tins

On the Onda and rooting issue (he says gingerly dipping his toe into these perilous waters) I believe one thing is correct:

On a rooted-from-the-seller tablet, you would be able to successfully install Titanium Backup right at your initial setup, if you desired.

On a non-rooted tablet, if you tried to install Titanium Backup, it would fail and tell one (one way or another) that root access is required.

Agreement on this???

^^ good question....I assume TB won't even install...but not sure.

The first thing, I did with all my Android devices, (Phones and tablets), was to root them.

I never tried to install TB without root.

But maybe somebody can try to install TB on a non-root and report whistling.gif

Edited by vel_tins

From looking at various blogs over the last few weeks it appears Onda may be shifting away from providing rooted (a.k.a., pre-rooted) firmware on some of their models...seems I noticed such posts regarding the V972. But for my V971 which I bought in Nov 12, its ICS 4.0.3 Baseband/User Interface Ver 1.5 firmware came rooted….the downloaded file name was V971D_V1.5.zip....I downloaded it in case I needed it for future use...like reflashing my V971. Since I check the Onda.cn site often, as of yesterday, that firmware version was still on the Onda.cn web site; however, but, today it’s gone. But their later ICS (and probably last) ICS 4.0.3 Baseband/UI V1.5.5 is still there as of 6:30pm today…it’s identified as V1.5.5 firmware version. That ICS firmware is also rooted and I’m currently running that version on my V971.

But I have had several firmware versions of Onda Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on my V971. The first JB firmware version I downloaded as file name V971D_A4.1.1-1101 and it was “not” rooted…I installed it and played with it for a while. Within a few days that file disappeared off the Onda.cn web site and I download the next version which downloaded with a file name of V971D_A4.1.1_JB1113 and it was rooted….I installed and played with it for a while. And then that firmware disappeared off the Onda web site and a new version appeared…it downloaded with a file name of V971D_V2.0SD...it came rooted…I installed played with it for a while…as of 6:30pm today that version was still on the Onda.cn website….it’s identified as V2.0 firmware version.

So, for my V971 both of the ICS firmware versions I have used came rooted….and for the three JB firmware versions I have used 2 of 3 came rooted.

As mentioned I reverted back to ICS on my V971 versus using JB. Why you may be wondering? Well, the JB versions drained my battery charge faster (maybe due to CPU speed, higher frame rate, I don't know, etc), I had some compatibility issues with a few Apps, and the Antutu benchmarking App showed my V971 on ICS benchmarked at approx 12,300, but on JB it benchmarked at approx 9,900 which is approx 20 percent slower if this benchmark is to be believed. While on JB and scrolling between pages I saw little to no improvement in smoothness….not to imply ICS was not smooth…and in routine use of Apps, watching YouTube, watching movies, etc., I saw no difference. I use the tablet a lot for YouTubing, checking email, browsing/read news, etc. Plus the ICS 4.0.3 Settings came with a CPU Mode Settings of CPU Normal mode for a 1.2Ghz CPU speed or a Power Saving mode for a 800Mhz (0.8Ghz) CPU speed. I really don't notice any Apps speed difference in Power Saving mode and it makes the battery charge last significantly longer. JB didn’t have this feature.

Now someone probably thought to themselves the V971 is rated/sold with a 1.5Ghz CPU…yes it is…but the V971 does not run it at that speed…it runs it at a max 1.2GHz in Normal/Performance mode or a max 800Mhz in Power Saving Mode on ICS….notice I said “max” as the CPU governor will vary the speed from around 96Mhz to 1.2Ghz (or 800MHz) depending on CPU load/demand from the Apps being run. I guess JB just uses the 96Mhz to 1.2Ghz CPU range. Yes, I know a person can use some CPU control Apps to control CPU speed/adjust Android governors (and I tried a few popular CPU control Apps such as Antutu CPU Master CPU Control and another one called CPU Tuner) but I had issues with Antutu CPU Master…I still have CPU Tuner but don’t use it…I just use the CPU Mode Setting that comes built into the Onda ICS 4.0.3 with no issues at all. All of these CPU Speed Control Apps are really written/programmed towards the more popular, well known brands...even those Apps themselves tell you/imply to you watch you step when using them.

And regarding my understanding of the V972 CPU max speed that it’s 1.5GHz like the V971, but Onda is just running it at 1.0Ghz for some reason. However, if you run a benchmarking App like Antutu it may show and use the max CPU speed during the benchmark but then it automatically sets it back to what the normal CPU governor setting is.

Regarding the V972 firmware being rooted or not rooted I’ve read on blogs that the original firmware V1.02 of their JB 4.1.1 firmware came rooted, but later versions of V1.2 and V1.32 do not. Guess whether a V972 is pre-rooted depends on when you bought it/what firmware version is installed. All three above mentioned firmware versions are still on the Onda.cn website as of 6:30pm/today. I keep giving this “as of” time/date because an hour from now it might change. I also read some posts where people have reverted to V1.02 and then used a Root Keeping process/App to keep root when they upgrade to V1.2 and/or V1.32.

I’ve seen some mention of using Titanium Backup….I’m using it on my V971 running ICS 4.0.3 (rooted) no problem…great App! A good App to see if you have root (or not) is the "Root Checker Basic" (free) App at Google Play. This App just Verifies proper root…it will not root your device…and supposedly does not require a rooted device to install/work…it just tells you whether you have proper root or not. I haven't tried it on my other tablet, a non-rooted Samsung Note 10.1 because I can't get it from the wife's hands long enough.

Summary: after getting over my battery issue with my V971 mentioned in my earlier posts (i.e., battery replaced under warranty) I very happy with my rooted V971...well worth the 6,590 baht I paid for it in Nov 12. I see the western Bangkok store I bought my V971 is now selling the V972 for 7,990 baht but out of stock until later this month...as a repeat customer I would get a 5% discount which would make my cost 7,590 baht...but I don't think I will be buying as I'm satisified with my V971. Besides, with my luck, as soon as I bought the V972 they would come out with the V973...that's basically what happend when I bought my V971 in Nov 12...come Dec 12 the V972 was released. What ever you buy today will be outdated tomorrow....oh well, technology marches on.

Can you guys please make a mini review (pro's and con's) of your onda v972 and Ainol Novo 9 Spark please?

What did you like, what you didn't like? Hows battery life? Please try to be objective.

It seems, that they are almost identical?

Ainol has 10000 mah battery vs 8000 on onda. Also, firmwares are different. People on slatedroid were not happy with firmwares of these devices.

Can you guys please make a mini review (pro's and con's) of your onda v972 and Ainol Novo 9 Spark please?

What did you like, what you didn't like? Hows battery life? Please try to be objective.

Ainol has 10000 mah battery vs 8000 on onda. Also, firmwares are different. People on slatedroid were not happy with firmwares of these devices.

According to this review the Onda has a battery of only 6300 mAh. http://www.androidta...048-1536-a.html

The 8000 mAh is a " mistake " in the online brochure.I read in the Q & A on the Onda-sale website

Edited by jbrain

According to this review the Onda has a battery of only 6300 mAh. http://www.androidta...048-1536-a.html

The 8000 mAh is a " mistake " in the online brochure.I read in the Q & A on the Onda-sale website

Yea, some websites say 8000mah and some say 6300mah.

And then you have web sites in their Q&A section like www.onda-tablet.com that says 8000mah is correct...see below.

post-55970-0-12971400-1360851715_thumb.j

And when you look at the official Onda.cn website under the V972 specs/firmware area they don't even list the battery specs...list all kinds of other specs but I didn't see any battery specs.

Edited by Pib

Yea, some websites say 8000mah and some say 6300mah.

The battery life get some pretty bad remrks from customer reviews on the Onda site

http://www.onda-tablet.com/onda-v972-quad-core-9-7-inch-retina-screen-daul-camera-android-tablet-pc.html

Probably Veltins can confirm to us how long his battery lasts.

As FYI for those thinking about buying a V971, please keep in mind I see the V971 Standard Display (1024x768)/Dual Core tablet--like the one I bought in Nov 12, the V971T Standard Display(1024/768)/Dual Core, and also the V971 Retina Display (2048/1536)/Quad Core now being advertised for sale. I appears the V971 Retina Display/Quad Core is very similar to the V972 Retina Display/Quad Core, except the V971 Quad don't have a front camera (I think).

And of course the firmware for each V971 model would be different. So, where I've been talking "rooted" firmware for the V971, I've been talking about the first model release of the V971....as mentioned they now also have the V971T Dual Core and the V971 Quad Core....maybe by next week another V971 model. Confused yet?

Some fairly seismic news today from tablet maker Archos. The company has taken the wraps off a trio of new tablets and the star of the show is a top-end model with an 11.6inch screen.

Now that’s big. The full iPad is just 9.7. It is also unique-ish. There are some tablets with similar sized screens, but 1, they run Windows (the Archos one runs the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system) and 2, you can expect to pay north of £800 for them. The new Archos 116 Platinum goes on sale in the UK in April with a price tag of just £299.

So what corners have been cut? The specs are actually fairly decent. It has a 1920×1080 resolution IPS screen, a QUAD core CPU at 1.2 GHz with 8-core GPU, with 1080p video decoding and 2 GB RAM. there’s also front and back cameras for both snapping and video chatting.

It’ll be interesting to have a proper look at the tablet and check out its build quality. If that’s good then £299 sounds like a real bargain.

Archos also debuted the 80 (8inch screen) and 97 (9.7inch screen today too)

Here’s the release from the maker.

The entire Platinum range will all share the following features:

• High-Definition IPS display with capacitive multi-touch screen

• QUAD core CPU at 1.2 GHz with 8-core GPU, with 1080p video decoding

• 2 GB RAM

• Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

• Full access to the 700,000 applications

• Archos Media Center applications

• Front and Back Cameras

• Mini-HDMI and Micro SD ports

The ARCHOS 80 Platinum, an 8″ tablet, features a 1024×768 resolution IPS screen and when compared to the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 it is almost twice as fast, has double the RAM and has a back camera for a fraction of the cost. The 80 Platinum will be available in February for £179

The ARCHOS 97 Platinum HD, a 9.7″ tablet, features a stunning 2048×1536 resolution IPS screen, which is comparable to the Retina display found in the iPad, but is 40% less expensive. The 97 Platinum HD will be available in February for £249

The ARCHOS 116 Platinum, an 11.6″ tablet, features a 1920×1080 resolution IPS screen, unlike anything currently on the market. The 116 Platinum will be available in April for £299

Simply not true.

Read my post again.

Maybe all the ones sold in Thailand come rooted!!

Dunno but maybe the importer asked for it that way.

Ahhh sorry. I see yours wasn't rooted... so maybe some suppliers root them before selling.

This is the truth. Some merchants root or receive them rooted in bulk before retailing them... Some don't. Some offer it as an extra add-on service. Some won't cover the warranty if you've rooted or installed custom ROMs as well.