Choosing A Tablet

canuckamuck

Nothing like buying a brand new tablet and immediately needing to get a firmware swap-out to get it to work on Google Play. But hey, it would still be a low cost method to get it to work....I expect many folks take this approach....and might even be offered this approach when buying the tablets from some shops.

Nothing like buying a brand new tablet and immediately needing to get a firmware swap-out to get it to work on Google Play.

My two cheap tablets (Gpad and M970/Sanei N90) and also my Huawei smartphone had full access to the play store, when I bought them.

No need to swap firmware for google play, but running AOKP/CM on them, provides a much better usability and smoothness.

Edited by roban

Nothing like buying a brand new tablet and immediately needing to get a firmware swap-out to get it to work on Google Play.

My two cheap tablets (Gpad and M970/Sanei N90) and also my Huawei smartphone had full access to the play store, when I bought them.

No need to swap firmware for google play, but running AOKP/CM on them, provides a much better usability and smoothness.

I've been googling around about Gpad and came across a couple of links where it appeared they were showing the home screen right out of the box, and it showed the Google Play App on the screen. However, when you look at the Google listing of compatible devices there isn't any Gpad listed. Maybe Gpad didn't want to go through what ever the associated procedures and costs to get Google to bless and list Google Play compatibility with Gpad. Summary: Google Play works on Gpad's but Google just don't list Gpad as Google-blessed models.

Edited by Pib

Looked up TomTec and Xiron8 names on the Google Play compatibility Link of supported devices....didn't see either listed.

However, but, I also went to the TomTec site and downloaded a manual on one of there tablets....and in the manual it talked about using Google Market (now called Google Play).

Edited by Pib

A man goes to see his Doctor...

Man: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Don't do that.

Apologies to Henny Youngman,

If these value tablets present insurmountable barriers, or otherwise frighten you, you may well be advised to not purchase one.

Forgive me for stating the obvious.

Come on Lomatopo we are discussing tablets what's wrong with that and some of us including myself never owned one before so the more info we can get from fellow Thaivisa members the better.smile.png

I myself have learned a lot today and been visiting some of the links provided in this topic, but I still don't know what to buylaugh.png .

In one pc magazine the tester writes that a 10" fell almost double size as a 7", so I will have to check what will suit me best.

I love my 5" Samsung Note1 phone for what it is & can, but it's too small for everything: surfing the net, watch a movie, reading and so on, but okay it's "only" a smart phone and I am not looking for a replacement for it. I will properly buy a cheap tablet and see how I like it and can always upgrade later.

In one of the links provided here one poster hoped that one day tablets will be like a "real" PC and not based on android phone software, so maybe that will be next who knows.

Excuse me for wanting a device I've just paid good money for to work out of the box and to do what I want it to do, without having to spend hours mucking around with finding apps from third party websites and needing to "root and ROM" a brand new device because it won't provide the functionality/capabilties I want and need unless I do so...

Rooting and ROMing tablets may be fine for some, but it's hardly a simple or easy task for the average person or even the average ThaiVisa member, and the exact procedures involved will vary from model to model...even though the common tools involved likely will be the same. Leaving aside the potential problem of making a mistake in doing so that could potentially turn your tablet into a brick.

It's great if one is a geek who's into those things and wants to wade into those murky waters. But I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that the average reader here isn't one of those people and really would prefer to have a tablet that simply works as expected/desired out of the box.

I don't see what the fuss us about. So there are some apps (that you may or may not ever use/need) that you need to download in a different way. Big deal. How could that possibly be a deal breaker? Ok if you make your living on a tablet or spend a ridiculous amount of time with it, perhaps you should buy a premium unit. But if I can get the majority of features for a third the price the choice seems obvious to me. I am not stuck in a consumerist mindset where I feel shame at not having the right labels on my purchases.

For me this thing needs to do email, surf the web, play movies, and play a few kid's games. I am sure it will do this right out of the box.

Just because we live in a universe with a million apps, doesn't mean we need them,

But I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that the average reader here isn't one of those people and really would prefer to have a tablet that simply works as expected/desired out of the box.

And exactly this is it, what the tablets, mentioned in this thread, do...

I don't see any post, where a real tablet owner is complaining about missing functions, no play store access, etc.pp.

There are some play store restrictions (but this is device independant and will hit the "premium devices" also)!

For me this thing needs to do email, surf the web, play movies, and play a few kid's games. I am sure it will do this right out of the box

definitely wai2.gif

Edited by roban

OP: I picked up a cheap Chinese tablet a few months back for 4k baht at Pranthip (Hero/Ainol Palladin). Wifi yes, no phone, GPS or Bluetooth. The camera is to capture your face as you use it (as opposed to being on the back so you can take pics) so I covered mine with tape. It's good for reading, playing games, light web surfing. Battery usually lasts 4 hours continuous. Can't use while being charged, might be a hw problem, some have told me it can be fixed with a ROM upgrade but I probably won't try. Google Play comes up, didn't have to tinker with it.

In that private world that exists between my ears I can't take any gadget seriously if I can't easily swap out the battery (like while on a bus). I picked it up mainly as a book reader, and it's ok for that. For that price I get my first taste of Android as well. It is sturdy enough but I don't know how long it would last in the hands of a 3-year-old, I'm guessing 30 seconds.

The thread is about, I hope you'll recall, "Choosing a Tablet." The discussion ensuing is about the many different varieties of tablets out there on the market, and some of the differences among them.

If all someone wants to do with their tablet is the most basic things, then it's easy. Buy anything for a reasonable price.

But what if you want to watch Netflix movies from the U.S. on the tablet while in Thailand? Better make sure it will handle proxies and/or VPNs.

What if you want to be able to use your tablet to make VOIP phone calls? Better make sure it has a microphone and audio system that supports telephony.

What if you want to be able to use your tablet when you're traveling on the road like on a long car or bus trip? Better have a tablet that also supports a 3G data SIM or plan to shell out extra for something like an aircard.

Before buying any tablet, one thing I'd certainly do is read some of the more prominent Android tech forums where they often have subforums devoted to individual tablet models.

That's where you'll see owners (post-purchase) suddenly discovering the tablet they just bought can't or won't do what they want it to do. Or that the battery life the manufacturer promises at 8 or 9 hours really turns out to be 3 or 4 hours. Or that the tablet's camera stopped working after the owner installed a 3rd party ROM, and now they're trying to figure out how to get their original ROM re-installed. Etc etc etc.

The list of those kinds of things can go on and on. Sometimes it's not until AFTER you've bought something like a tablet, especially for someone getting their first tablet device, that you work out all the things you want to use it for.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The list of those kinds of things can go on and on. Sometimes it's not until AFTER you've bought something like a tablet, especially for someone getting their first tablet device, that you work out all the things you want to use it for.

Best to buy a cheap one then lest you find that you don't need other features. Like I found when I bought a smart phone and only used it for calls and texts.

OP: I picked up a cheap Chinese tablet a few months back for 4k baht at Pranthip (Hero/Ainol Palladin). Wifi yes, no phone, GPS or Bluetooth. The camera is to capture your face as you use it (as opposed to being on the back so you can take pics) so I covered mine with tape. It's good for reading, playing games, light web surfing. Battery usually lasts 4 hours continuous. Can't use while being charged, might be a hw problem, some have told me it can be fixed with a ROM upgrade but I probably won't try. Google Play comes up, didn't have to tinker with it.

In that private world that exists between my ears I can't take any gadget seriously if I can't easily swap out the battery (like while on a bus). I picked it up mainly as a book reader, and it's ok for that. For that price I get my first taste of Android as well. It is sturdy enough but I don't know how long it would last in the hands of a 3-year-old, I'm guessing 30 seconds.

Are you saying that "Hero" and "Ainol Palladin" are two names for the same tablet? In another thread, someone panned the Hero as slow and unreliable and recommended the Ainol, provided that it was dual core, a9.

OMG

But what if you want to watch Netflix movies from the U.S. on the tablet while in Thailand

With all respect....It seems your knowlegde about Androids is a little bit outdated.

Any device, running on ICS or newer has "built-in" VPN capabilities, independant from the manufacturer.

VPN/Proxies on tablets are not "hardware-based".

What if you want to be able to use your tablet to make VOIP phone calls?

My devices came preinstalled with a working Skype app.

All known tablets, lets say in the 4500-6000 Baht range, have camera(s) and mics.

What if you want to be able to use your tablet when you're traveling on the road like on a long car or bus trip

Have you ever heard about "wifi-tethering"? And how much is a 3G stick nowadays compared to the "premium surcharge" ?

Or that the tablet's camera stopped working after the owner installed a 3rd party ROM, and now they're trying to figure out how to get their original ROM re-installed. Etc etc etc.

hmm, I thought we are talking about "stock" tablets, not modified ones?

Battery life? Yes that may be a valid point.

But on my last flights to Europe, the airplane seats were fitted with USB connectors and even with 110V power sockets (Etihad)

So nothing to scare about.tongue.png

Once again: The Operating system on all current devices is identical! Cheap or premium.

Google Android: ICS or Jellybean. Some manufacturers "extend" them somehow, but the basic is just Android...

Edited by roban

I have a NEX ( NEX.com?) which does well for an e reader...non phone/sim unit is about 3900bt with sim 599bt.?... bought the sim version but in retrospect should have bought the non sim as don't use it....( still has WiFi so could have bought a WiFi box with sim for 1200 bt)

Roban, in the real world, what you say simply is not true in practice.

Not all Android tablets will support VPN... I know, because I had one from the U.S. with Honeycomb with stock Android that did not.

Try finding an AC plug on a Thai bus between BKK and wherever... or even on a lot of international flights.

I believe I mentioned the USB aircard as an option for 3G on units that don't have it natively.

And Skype is just one calling app. There are lots of others and those may or may not work depending on the tablet.

If you actually read the Android user forums, you'll find them filled with owners who can't get their particular model tablet to do what they want them to do because it doesn't have the correct hardware or isn't compatible with a certain app, etc etc.

Last time I checked, the share of tablet models in users hands right now running ICS or later is a minority. Far more people have Honeycomb or earlier OS, though that obviously will change with time.

These OS version share numbers are for all Android devices, not just tablets, but it illustrates the point I made above.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/no-1-android-os-gingerbread-by-a-landslide-1095346

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

My recommendation would be for an Ipad 2 (still available for now, and only 13,500 for basic model). I have had one for a few months and love it - by far the best "device" I have ever owned; in fact the wife is getting jealous because I spend more time with it than her!

This is coming from someone who has used Windows continuously since the early 90's and Linux in a big way for the last few years. I was always opposed to jumping on the Apple bandwagon, but timer they are a changin'. I am so sold on it I have just Hackintoshed my PC to join the Ipad in the Apple ecosystem It is all super smooth and works beautifully.

I bought an Ainiol Novo 7 Paladin in Hong Kong 6 moths ago. It was "alright", but far from super smooth. It now no longer turns on (read, knackered). I'm just going to take it apart to see what it is made of!

If you want cheap then go for a Chinese tablet. The quality is improving (I was very early buying mine - just a trial really) and with a bit of luck yours will be fine. Me, I will be getting another Ipad if anything happens to this one. in fact I would love an Ipad 3 right now, but sometimes you just have to be happy to have what you have!

The Ipad is better chiefly because the screen quality and size are great, the OS is lovely (once you get your head around it - not simple to start with, but then none are!), and the quality of Apps is outstanding. Yes, some apps that are free for Android cost a dollar or two for Ipad, many others are free. I'm not too worried about spending a dollar or two here or there to support Apple App developers; that kind of attitude amongst Apple owners is why they get all of the best apps!

Not all Android tablets will support VPN... I know, because I had one from the U.S. with Honeycomb with stock Android......

....Far more people have Honeycomb or earlier OS...

The OP asked for tablet recommendations.

For me it seems, he wants to buy a new, "up to date" device and does not want to tinker with a dinosaur..wink.png .

I seriously doubt, there are many NEW tablets on the market, with an Android version lower than 4.0 ICS/4.1JB.

However, most people just want to tell us, how "crappy" cheaper tablets are.

But 90% of their arguments is "something from some internet forums, where people...."

Bla bla bla....but no real, personal experiences.

Which real benefits, of lets say a Samsung Galaxy Tab (something), justifies a 10k-15k surcharge?

Given, that compared tablets are new and running the same OS?

I mean, we are talking about the ~triple price....

But fortunately, this is Android and the customer can choose from many different devices.

(In contrast to the Apple fanbois..tongue.png )

When I bought my Gpad some months ago, it was running Android 2.3.x.

BUT: I could update it to ICS 4.0.4 from "official sources".

How many "premium devices" stick at 2.3.x, without any further chance for a firmware update?

But this is not the topic....

Edited by roban

My recommendation would be for an Ipad 2 (still available for now, and only 13,500 for basic model). I have had one for a few months and love it - by far the best "device" I have ever owned; in fact the wife is getting jealous because I spend more time with it than her!

This is coming from someone who has used Windows continuously since the early 90's and Linux in a big way for the last few years. I was always opposed to jumping on the Apple bandwagon, but timer they are a changin'. I am so sold on it I have just Hackintoshed my PC to join the Ipad in the Apple ecosystem It is all super smooth and works beautifully.

I bought an Ainiol Novo 7 Paladin in Hong Kong 6 moths ago. It was "alright", but far from super smooth. It now no longer turns on (read, knackered). I'm just going to take it apart to see what it is made of!

If you want cheap then go for a Chinese tablet. The quality is improving (I was very early buying mine - just a trial really) and with a bit of luck yours will be fine. Me, I will be getting another Ipad if anything happens to this one. in fact I would love an Ipad 3 right now, but sometimes you just have to be happy to have what you have!

The Ipad is better chiefly because the screen quality and size are great, the OS is lovely (once you get your head around it - not simple to start with, but then none are!), and the quality of Apps is outstanding. Yes, some apps that are free for Android cost a dollar or two for Ipad, many others are free. I'm not too worried about spending a dollar or two here or there to support Apple App developers; that kind of attitude amongst Apple owners is why they get all of the best apps!

All well and good, but a lot of us just can't justify or sometimes afford to lay out B15-20000 for a tablet when there are very viable alternatives available.

The ONDA Vi40 I recommended earlier in this thread does everything I need it to do and has full (ok, local) access to GOOGLE PLAY. I am not a power user as I think probably a majority of buyers also aren't. It has stood up to the rigors of travel and daily duty in my shoulder bag. Yes, when I hold it I can feel the finish is not nearly as elegant as an Apple but I knew that when I bought it. Some people buy Fords, some buy Mercedes: both will get you there. It's the same with the tablets. One friend who sprung the big Baht to buy a Samsung Galaxy 10" Tab has had nothing but problems with it; name brand is no guarantee of trouble free use.

If I had deep pockets, I probably would spring for the I-pad and I-Phone; they are indeed elegant products but I've always been independently minded and the Totalitarian regime of Apple vexes me.

I've seen quite a few tablets selling in Thai stores running Android 2.3 Gingerbread (or earlier) and the Android 4.0 ICS. Just a few days ago I was at the market that also had around 6 cell phone stores selling tablets in that 5000 baht ballpark and a good amount of the tablets were running Gingerbread. I notice on the ARNOVA web site their G2 and G1 models still run Ginderbeard or earlier....but their G3 models run ICS...and I've seen a lot of ARNOVA models being sold in Thailand as advertised as running Gingerbeard.

But hey, my smartphone Samsung Ace 2 released this summer came with Gingerbread 2.3.6 installed (it suppose to get Jelly Bean in the future according to Samsung releases) and it does everything I needed. I may be missing something in not having ICS or Jelly Bean, but whatever I'm missing it probably just a nice to have enhancements and/or makes the phone or tablet run a little faster/smooth---all good...but as mentioned Gingerbread seems to work fine--for me at least.

However, but, when and if I do buy a tablet in the near future I will get one that has at least ICS on it and I will definitely confirm before buying that it runs an uncrippled version of Google Play.

Edited by Pib

Tablets with Android GB/HC are pretty well outdated and nobody forces one to buy such a dinosaur.

Fortunately there are many, many other tablets available, running ICS or JB. thumbsup.gif

I will definitely confirm before buying that it runs an uncrippled version of Google Play.

rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by roban

The Google Nexus 7 is by many accounts one of the best Android tablets on the market at present... And yet....

Here's 12 pages of Android Central forum posts from users/owners who can't get various apps to either install or work properly on their tablets. Nearly 300 posts over the past four months. It makes for interesting and informative reading. Some issues got remedied as new versions of various apps were released. Some issues simply arent' resolved.

The point I'm making is, buying an Android tablet can be a pretty complicated affair, with all the various OS versions, different hardware configurations and specs, Flash or not Flash capable, 3G or not, microSD expansion slot or not, HDMI video out or not, direct access to the Google Play Store and Google Apps Suite or not, etc etc etc.

I haven't been advocating above to buy any particular brand or expensive vs cheaper models. I have been advocating, it pays to do some serious thinking beforehand of just what you want to do with the tablet, how you expect to use it and how those things will match with the specs and capabilities of the models you're considering.

• Like 1

The Google Nexus 7 is by many accounts one of the best Android tablets on the market at present... And yet....

You appear to be misunderstanding, or misrepresenting, the issues surrounding the Nexus 7? So you are not really reinforcing your point.

The Nexus 7 was the first platform with Android 4.1.

Android 4.1 has some changes in the SDK which means that applications written for previous versions of Android may not work in 4.1.

I have run into a few, but not too many, applications which work in Android 4.0.x but not in Android 4.1.1. The Major Movie app. does not run, for me anyway, on 4.1.1.

The simple, rather than complicated, solution is to make sure any must have apps will run in Android 4.1.x BEFORE upgrading to, or purchasing a device, which supports Android 4.1.x.

Where you see complication I see simple, straight-forward solutions requiring little more than common sense.

Personally I am running 4.0.4 on my tablet, and 4.1.1 on my phone.

So it seems like many/most of the value tablets have access to the Google Play Store? That seems to be what most with first-hand knowledge seem to be saying? I did a quick search on some Thai forums and I am fairly confident that the GPad tablets have Google Play Store access. Obviously, for those applications which are not available from the Play Store for devices located in Thailand, such as Google Earth, one would have to figure out a way to install these.

Say's who, fanbois?

It's relatively cheap, yes. Hardware is also ok.

But with all the missing interfaces (HDMI, SD-Card Slot, etc.), it's hmm, a "no-go" for me.

I wonder why all these essentials are missing. (To have arguments for an upgrade model?)

Even my Sanei N90/16GB has HDMI-out and a SD-Card Slot.

A few months ago, I opened this tablet, to check the battery capacity.

What I found, was....nearly nothing laugh.png , but it works flawlessly until today.

See the pictures

post-97561-0-63869000-1350799086_thumb.j

post-97561-0-79994300-1350799089_thumb.j

Edited by roban

Are you saying that "Hero" and "Ainol Palladin" are two names for the same tablet? In another thread, someone panned the Hero as slow and unreliable and recommended the Ainol, provided that it was dual core, a9.

This goes back to the question I've had since I bought it: what the <deleted> is this?

I don't really know. When I got it I did some research and concluded that what I had was an Ainol 7 Palladin, running ICS 4.0.3

It says Herotab on the startup screen and on the back of the thing, I have the impression Ainol is what they call it at the factory and then various others OEM it. Anyway, I got what I needed at the time (root stuff) so haven't looked into it lately, save for a list mentioned earlier in this thread of gadgets that support Google Play (none of the names for mine are in there, but I have it).

Seems fast enough, Block Crash animation is quick smile.png

I couldn't tell you anything about comparisons, but a few weeks ago I was in Khon Kaen and saw some other nameless tablets that were better than mine (more features, no charging bug) for the same price I paid in June.

All well and good, but a lot of us just can't justify or sometimes afford to lay out B15-20000 for a tablet when there are very viable alternatives available.

The ONDA Vi40 I recommended earlier in this thread does everything I need it to do and has full (ok, local) access to GOOGLE PLAY. I am not a power user as I think probably a majority of buyers also aren't. It has stood up to the rigors of travel and daily duty in my shoulder bag. Yes, when I hold it I can feel the finish is not nearly as elegant as an Apple but I knew that when I bought it. Some people buy Fords, some buy Mercedes: both will get you there. It's the same with the tablets. One friend who sprung the big Baht to buy a Samsung Galaxy 10" Tab has had nothing but problems with it; name brand is no guarantee of trouble free use.

If I had deep pockets, I probably would spring for the I-pad and I-Phone; they are indeed elegant products but I've always been independently minded and the Totalitarian regime of Apple vexes me.

I very much agree about the 15 to 20k tablets, BUT my point was that an Ipad 2 can be had for 13,500 at the moment - and actually I bought mine second hand directly from it's owner for 9k. This IMHO is better value than 6 or 7k for an "inferior" tablet, although, it is getting to be a close call. Better and better cheap Android tablets are available every month - and some of the best, with great screens, are now coming from Onda... you chose well!

At the end of the day it is personal choice. If I hadn't got such a good deal I may well have chosen an Onda myself. Nice tablets; but having tried iOS i am staying with Ipads - they are just lovely to use. They do indeed feel like a Mercedes, whereas Android varies from Daewoo all the way up to Audi - but not quite Mercedes... IMHO...