• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strong quake causes panic in Myanmar

Shwe Yinn Mar Oo YANGON, Nov 11, 2012 (AFP) -

A powerful earthquake struck central Myanmar on Sunday, sparking panic in the country's second-largest city as terrified residents fled shaking buildings, witnesses said.

A series of strong aftershocks added to the nervousness, although there were no immediate reports of deaths or collapsing buildings.

The shallow 6.8-magnitude quake hit around 116 kilometres (72 miles) north of Mandalay at a depth of just 10 kilometres, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said.

It initially put the magnitude of the quake at 7.0. "I ran from my bed carrying my daughter out to the street.

There were many people in the road. Some were shouting and others felt dizzy," Mandalay resident San Yu Kyaw told AFP by telephone. "People are now scared of more earthquakes.

Especially those who live or run businesses in high-rise buildings are desperate and don't know what to do," he said.

The were no immediate reports of casualties but building standards are generally poor in the country formerly known as Burma, one of Asia's most impoverished nations.

The USGS issued a yellow alert, saying "some casualties and damage are possible" but that the impact should be relatively localised.

The quake hit at 7:42 am (0112 GMT) and was followed by two shallow 5.0-magnitude aftershocks within 20 minutes, according to the USGS.

It struck around 572 kilometres east of the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka, one of the world's biggest cities.

The quake was felt in neighbouring Thailand, including in the capital Bangkok, according to reports on social media websites.

Iy comes little more than a week before US President Barack Obama is due in Myanmar on a historic visit, as the West begins to roll back sanctions to reward a series of dramatic political reforms under President Thein Sein.

Earthquakes are relatively common in Myanmar, which is emerging from decades of military rule under a new quasi-civilian government.

Kyaw Kyaw Lwin, an official at the National Earthquake Information Division in the capital Naypyidaw, said it was the strongest quake in the area since a 6.0-magnitude quake in 1991.

More than 70 people were killed in March 2011 when a powerful 6.8-magnitude quake struck Myanmar near the borders with Thailand and Laos, reducing homes and government buildings to rubble and affecting thousands of people.

Aid workers at the time praised Myanmar's regime for its speedy response to that quake, in contrast to the aftermath of previous disasters to strike the country under the old military junta.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-11-11

I live on second floor and I felt it very strongly. May be you were busy doing something else that require intense moment.thumbsup.gif

Didn't feel anything. Of course I don't live in a tall building so I miss most of these.

Edited by ARISTIDE

8th floor condo around On Nut. Gentle swaying for 30 seconds. Went thru some quakes while stationed in CA. One while in a control tower. That was a weird feeling. Figured this one had to be a big one somewhere close. Close being a relative term. I sent a report to the USGS. Just see there have been 2 aftershocks of 5.0.

I felt it on the 26th floor in Bangkok - I looked outside and could not see our building moving or anything, so I thought I have some health issues, lol.

Yes it was going on for quite a bit, like a minute or so and it just felt as if my own body was slowly moving from side to side.

5.0-magnitutde aftershock hit Myanmar

An aftershock of 5.0 on the Richter scale hit Myanmar at 8:32 am Sunday, the United States Geological Survey reported on its website.

The aftershock was recorded at 25 kms northeast of Shwebo, Myanmar. It happened about 20 minutes after the first quake of 6.6 magnitude. The depth of the aftershock was also 10 kms like the first quake.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-11

In the Hang Dong area of Chiang Mai - sitting on the ground floor i felt the most unearthly feeling of seasickness, unsure if it was just in my mind. Didn't see anything sway but i felt like I was on a large boat swaying after a strong wave. it went on for at least a minute. One of the strangest earthquakes I've ever experienced.

08.17 on my watch. My Lazy-E-Boy started moving then my Bookcase.

john

Yep 08.17 with a magnitude of 7.0 in northern Burma. 22.7081' N (CM 18.47'43"N)

Maybe no damage but I just about shyt myself I did.

Hanging lamps were oscilating at least 10 MM from the perpendicular, doors were swinging and my chair was rocking around.

Duration around 30-40 seconds.