Buying A Used Motorbike: What Paperwork Should I Get?

bottledwater

Hi,

I am buying a used Honda wave from a Thai friend of a friend here in Chiang Mai. I just want to make sure I get the proper paperwork from them so I can register the bike in my name. The green book is in the name of the woman selling me the bike. So I know I need the green book. Is there something like a "bill of sale" in the USA this can normally be anything written showing the owner intended and did sell the bike. Is there a special form for that here in Thailand? Anything else I should have from the seller?

Thanks,

Bottled

Copy of passport, Certificate of residency from Immigration, take her to land office as she needs to sign some paperwork as well as yourself. There are several forms from land office and you will need to have it inspected to confirm frame number and motor number.

From the Thai seller, if he/she doesn't go with you to the DLT:

1. signed copy of a valid ID-Card
  2. signed Copy of "Tabien Baan"
  3. Book must be signed by the seller
  4. "Power of attorney" post-158247-0-01015000-1353461283.jpg signed by the seller.
    --------------------------------------------------------
  5. "transfer document", post-158247-0-03299900-1353461259.jpg signed by the seller.

Thats it.

You don't need No. 4+5, if the seller goes together with you.

Edited by Turkleton

Make sure that you don't pay her any money until you have got the papers back from DLT.

This means , make sure she follow you to the DLT. There could be a problem already when they check the bike regarding chassi / engine numbers. Been there, done that. sad.png

This means , make sure she follow you to the DLT. There could be a problem already when they check the bike regarding chassi / engine numbers. Been there, done that. sad.png

We are talking about a used Honda Wave (20-30K?), build in Thailand, with a green book.

Not about some dodgy big bikes, with dodgy(or even no) books, which were imported in parts ...

Not necessary to bother the seller, to go to the DLT...for what?

Check frame and engine numbers and if the seller can provide all the documents, I mentioned two posts before, you are just fine.

Make sure that you don't pay her any money until you have got the papers back from DLT

Who drives the (unpaid) bike to the DLT? The seller? Why should he/she do this?

If you feel suspicious or uncertain, make copies of all documents and the book and let the people at the DLT check them!

It's free!

Or let an "agency" check them and do the transfer for you.

Everything else is just very, very annoying, believe me.

Many seller have to work and/or no time, or don't want to spend a half day at the DLT.

Edited by Turkleton

From the Thai seller, if he/she doesn't go with you to the DLT:

1. signed copy of a valid ID-Card
  2. signed Copy of "Tabien Baan"
  3. Book must be signed by the seller
  4. "Power of attorney" post-158247-0-01015000-1353461283.jpg signed by the seller.
    --------------------------------------------------------
  5. "transfer document", post-158247-0-03299900-1353461259.jpg signed by the seller.

Thats it.

You don't need No. 4+5, if the seller goes together with you.

this is excellent advice

Well, I've done this with all the bikes/cars I bought. Never heard a complaint. smile.png

Lucky guy..wink.png

For a private seller (farang), without job/work, who sells one bike in three years, it might be ok to go with the buyer.

But, for everybody else...sick.gif

I think, this is the reason, why most of the transfers are done by agencies..

I was at the DLT Chonburi today, and in the 40 minutes, I spend there, I saw three different agents with 70-100 Books each.

However, I think the OP's question has been answered.