Easiest Route To Take

pompeyjoe

Hi guys Ive looked on a map but I can't get head or tale of it. Im going to Thailand for 2-3 months. I wanna do a month traveling around checking out places and seeing the cultural side of Thailand. Then a month to chill out and kick witch will be in pattaya.

These are the places I want to visit. I'm looking for the best route to take and the easiest way. Or if you don't think I should visit some one of these places what other places would you recommend?

Travel plan

Bangkok 

Chiangmai

Ko Tao 

Hua hin

Railay

Koh  somui 

Kanchanaburi

In what order would you recommend ??

Thanks

I would suggest, start in Bangkok (then fly) to Chang Mai.

Come back to Bangkok, take a road trip to Kanchanaburi (which is not that far from BKK) , come back to Bangkok again.

Go down south by train to Hua Hin then go to Chumpon (either by Train or by Bus) and take the ferry to Koh Tao, from there you can take the ferry to Koh Samui.

Then from Koh Samui take a ferry to Surat Thani and take a Bus to Railay (Krabi)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

With that much time, you're going to have a blast! I'd recommend stopping off in Sukhothai, and maybe even Ayuthaya, on your way up to CM. Spend some time up there. Lots to explore in that area (Pai, Mae Hong Son, Golden Triangle, Chiang Rai, etc).

Hua Hin is OK. Depends on what you are looking for. If it's beaches, head south to places like Bang Saphan, Ban Kruit, etc. Or just fly Air Asia to Surat Thani and take the ferry over to Samui, then Tao.

From Surat Thani you can get a mini bus to Ao Nang/Railay. Again, if you are after islands, try the islands south of there like Lanta or the ones down in Satun area.

Don't forget to spend some time in Bangkok. It's a great city to explore.

This site is great for island research:

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

Might want to consider different weather patterns and the early March to mid April pollution in Chiang Mai. I don't know your dates, so I'd recommend:

BKK to Chiang Mai by air or train.

Then fly Air Asia direct to Phuket or Had Yai. Explore your way to Krabi and Railay.

Bus to Samui from Krabi (travel agent on Railay will do an all in one ticket).

Ferry to Koh Tao then Ferry bus combo ticket to Hua Hin. Hua Hin to Kanchanaburi through an agent, then back to BKK and bird watching in Pattaya.

My first trip to Thailand was also for 2 months and I arrived in BKK with no plans of where to go at all.

I just followed my nose and had the greatest time of my life.

Too much planning is not good - unless you need to drop "The One Ring" into Mt Doom.

Here is where I ended up going.

Bus from BKK to Chiang Mai (because I met an American woman on the plane travelling with her young daughter).

You get to learn much more about Thailand while travelling with Thai people (though you may not appreciate their taste in smaltzy music videos on the video screen in the bus).

4 day trekking trip from Chiang Mai. Great trip - 2 days hiking, 2 days floating down a river on a bamboo raft - staying in hill tribe villages.

Bus to Mai Hong Son (the southern route). Lovely town near the border with Burma.

Good trekking around here as well.

Met up with a Kiwi woman here and hitched to Cave Lodge - definitely visit this - look it up in the Lonely Planet guide. Say hello to John Spies for me. He used to run 2 day cave trips then, but just day trips now + kayaking. Don't miss Tam Lod cave system - and the sight/sound of millions of swallows returning/bats leaving at sunset.

Back to Chiang Mai via Pai (western hippy town now - don't stay too long).

Train back to BKK with a stop off in Pitsanulok to visit Sukhothai (ancient capital - well worth the visit).

While in BKK don't forget the Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Wat Po and of course Kao San Road http://www.lonelypla...backpacker-hub/

Train trip out to Kanchanaburi to see the River Kwai and the cemeteries of the allied soldiers killed while building the railway to Burma - If you can tour these and not shed tears you just ain't human.

Train down to Phuket - and quickly moved on to Krabi. Glorious beaches and island scenery.

Hua Hin? Don't bother. Nicer beaches at Cha-Am just to it's north. The old teak Royal palace between the 2 is well worth a visit.

Lots of islands on both coasts further south to visit. Pattaya on the east side of the Gulf is an eye opener.

So much to see, so many tastes to explore.

Plenty of single western women travelling (backpacking) alone and happy for your company.

If you find you like Thai history also give Ayuthaya and Lopburi a try (even Si Satchanali just north of Sukhothai http://www.tripadvis...i_Province.html

What ever you do - take the Lonely Planet guide. My Thai wife and I always travel with it now (the trip above happened 20 years ago). I fell in love with Thailand so much I just had to live there.

Edited by mikecwm