Has Anyone Seen A Hoe For Sale In Thailand?

Steely Dan

Snigger if you must, but this is a serious question. Having just read a western published guide to organic gardening I read that the hoe is supposed to be the most useful tool for weeding in the gardener's armory. Now you see shovels, rakes, adzes and something they call a 'Siam', for which I know not the English name, but not a hoe in sight.

It struck me that weed prevention may not be achieved by weedkillers and slash and burn, then the neglected soil needs breaking up with an adze, but what of prevention? Ideas anyone?

• Like 1

No sniggers. I'm afraid you will have to put up a picture of what a hoe means to you. I brought three different hoes with me me when I moved and this was a GOOD THING. I have started making my own tools here, bloody 'ell, the frustration...

Go to any town or village hardware store and ask for a "Jop" (kind of long drawn out sound), that has always got me to what I know as a hoe.

I think that the word is Jawk, the asian hoe. But it is not really ideal for weeding.

I have kept looking for what I know as a hoe, but I think that I will have to bring one back when I am next in the UK.

Go to any town or village hardware store and ask for a "Jop" (kind of long drawn out sound), that has always got me to what I know as a hoe.
I think that the word is Jawk, the asian hoe. But it is not really ideal for weeding.I have kept looking for what I know as a hoe, but I think that I will have to bring one back when I am next in the UK.
This is the one I meant: http://th.wikipedia....dia....c;อศจอบ (as per Kwaibah's picture) Edited by Boksida

garden-hoe.png?9707a5

I believe the English or American name. Or what my grandpa called this device is know as a "hulla hoe". Referring to its hoop like shape similar to the "hulla hoop" of the times when it was first introduced in the '60s? Referring to the other pic with the hoop shaped blade that is. The wrong pic posted in the quote.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by chris1dna

I think that the word is Jawk, the asian hoe. But it is not really ideal for weeding.I have kept looking for what I know as a hoe, but I think that I will have to bring one back when I am next in the UK.
This is the one I meant: http://th.wikipedia....dia....c;อศจอบ (as per Kwaibah's picture)

I apologise, I should have typed Jawb, not Jawk. You are absolutely right Jop is good with the vowel drawn out.

Looks like a mattock to me. The most useful hoe I use is the 'pendelhacke', discovered in Switzerland many years ago, no hacking movement, just pushing back and forth. No good in damp soil however.

Yes, the second photo, that looks close. To labour the same joke the book I read calls that hoe a Dutch hoe, which was news to me as in the UK I would have expected all common or garden hoes to look like this. Perhaps I will make my own if I still can't find one.

You can get a western style hoe (imported from the US) at True Value Hardware in Bangkok or Pattaya. There are several grades available from wood handle to lifetime fiberglass handle. It really depends on how bad you want one, though, as you will pay dearly at TV.

If you want one, go to any True Value Hardware site on the Internet, choose the one you want, get the True Value SKU and you can call or e-mail TV here to order it. See Business card for contact information.

post-74366-0-08123900-1354927628_thumb.j

I got a local welding shop to make this, about 3 years ago, and it's held up well.... If I remember it cost me 300 or 400 baht..

Metal 1/2 inch handle, made from tubing, available from hard ware stores, the hoe its self was a good steel plate ground down .... pointed edges ....it's been perfect! They used a piece of re-bar to connect handle to hoe.

Even my Thai neighbours find it easier to use than the usual heavy choppers they usually use...wink.png

Wood handles tend to rot too quickly, the tubing is light enough not to be too heavy.... thumbsup.gif

post-85461-0-08628700-1354934875_thumb.j

• Like 1

This is what in Oz we call a Dutch hoe - slide it slightly below soil surface to chop of weeds .

post-130198-0-66994300-1354855437_thumb.jpg

Below looks like a Larry's Hoe - used for mixing cement . Often has two holes in it it to make it easier to drag thru the cement mix. Much quicker than using a shovel for mixing cement .

post-130198-0-53373800-1354855423_thumb.jpeg

These i have always known as Italian hoes - i guess because a lot of the early immigrants to Oz were Italians and many of them bacame market gardeners . I use these for hilling corn , peas and beans and general cultivation . There are also what we call 3 pronged cultivators but they are not much use in weed control.

garden-hoe.png?9707a5

Different locations, different names . None of them any more correct than any other name.I didn't know the Thai name for the "Italian " hoes but have seen them in some of the hardware shops .

Right. actually the sound is more like "jawp" (จอบ), long vowel, long tone, the "j" sound unvoiced, kind of like the "tj" in German "tja." But that's the closest thing to that particular non-sniggerworthy farm implement.

I think that the word is Jawk, the asian hoe. But it is not really ideal for weeding.

I have kept looking for what I know as a hoe, but I think that I will have to bring one back when I am next in the UK.

No, the original comment is closer to the Thai word จอบ

No, the original comment is closer to the Thai word จอบ

Did you not see my later post?

I apologise, I should have typed Jawb, not Jawk. You are absolutely right Jop is good with the vowel drawn out.

garden-hoe.png?9707a5

Yep, plenty of hoes like that around Thailand. I see them every day being used by Thai's to mix cement.

But truly if you want a proper tool you will most likely need to bring it with you from an advanced country.

garden-hoe.png?9707a5

Yep, plenty of hoes like that around Thailand. I see them every day being used by Thai's to mix cement.

But truly if you want a proper tool you will most likely need to bring it with you from an advanced country.

Every house in our village has a hoe. They can have a wooden handle or a metal hadle. I bought one from a local market with

a metal handle which was welded to the head. It was 150 baht and works well.

Steely Dan; I was convinced that a dutch hoe would be better for weeding here, so I got my daughter

to bring me a head of one when she visited from the UK.

I soon found that in the dry clay soil in my part of Isan it was useless. No wonder the Thais have

never bothered with it and use a jop!

Yes it really depends on the soil you are working with hoes... the one I had made, (posted above) I find is the most versatile.... back and forth motion.... thumbsup.gif

"Copy" of what the call the "winged weeder" in Canada and US. (not sure if else where) .....

• Like 1

Post 7, the first foto. The blade moves a little depending on whether you are pushing or pulling, keeping it at the ideal angle to the earth. Really ideal for dry earth, my wife took to it immediately and we now have a clean vegetable garden.