Electricity On The Islands.

Rooo

Oh joy.

A spot of rain this morning and BOOM. Power off in Plai Laem 8.40 am

Spot of rain?

There was flooding at Caltex, Chaweng same time.

Yep - a spot of rain. We get a lot less rain up here on the NE bit of the island. The rest of the island can be inundated and we just get drizzle!

I think it is to do with the wind channelling between KS and KPN - pushing the clouds away from the coast where we are.thumbsup.gif

I could be wrong though.

Srithanu, Koh Phangan, a boom 2 am, transformer gone.

Fixed at 4am, boom at 6am.

Fixed at 11am, boom again at 1pm, on the way to be fixed.

I'm working on power generator

w00t.gif

The cable might have been made in Sweden of German materials, checked by a team of international engineers and brought here on a Dutch boat, but it's being connected by Thai electricians . . .

WPFflags.gif

R

Edited by robsamui

For an island of approximately 500 square kilometrers, maybe Macro, Big C and Tesco should draw straws and the losers shut down. Will definetily make more power available to the public. II can remember when you had to take the ferry and drive to Big C in Surataanni and it wasn't a big problem then because that's what you knew that you had to do! Everybody expects and wants evreything on a big silver platter and served with a silver spoon but TIT and it's not going to happen in your or my lifetime, so get real!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just the rumour - no power Bophut for 5 days! (Not sure that I believe the 5 days bit.)

We called the 'powers' that be yesterday - no scheduled cuts planned for Plai Laem. Mind you - a 20 second power out at 8.00 am just now!

Keep an eye on the News section, they regular updated reports.

Just the rumour - no power Bophut for 5 days! (Not sure that I believe the 5 days bit.)

We called the 'powers' that be yesterday - no scheduled cuts planned for Plai Laem. Mind you - a 20 second power out at 8.00 am just now!

Baring a huge accident i'd be amazed if anywhere was out for a 5 days especially at this time of year.

All this said i never go anywhere without a torch and a box of matches as backup!laugh.png

Baring a huge accident i'd be amazed if anywhere was out for a 5 days especially at this time of year.

All this said i never go anywhere without a torch and a box of matches as backup!laugh.png

There is a Nationwide problem , due to the gas supply from Myanmar being shut down for maintenance.I think it's a two week window, with rolling power cuts across the country. This is not only a Samui specific problem Carmine wink.png

There is a Nationwide problem , due to the gas supply from Myanmar being shut down for maintenance.I think it's a two week window, with rolling power cuts across the country. This is not only a Samui specific problem Carmine wink.png

I knowwink.png

Announce from The Provincial Electricity Authority of Koh Samui

On Tuesday 5th March 2013 from 08.00 - 15.00. The PEA Koh Samui will install new cable lines for new electricity system in the area of Bophut which will cause the power cut.

The power cut area start from old Supot electric shop to Bandara Resort (only on the beach side of the road), Lawana resort, Peace Resort, Bophut Resort.

Please be noted!

การไฟฟ้าส่วนภูมิภาค อำเภอเกาะสมุย

ด้วยในวันอังคารที่ 5 มีนาคม 2556 ตั้งแต่ เวลา 08.00 น.-เวลา 15.00 น.ไฟฟ้าเกาะสมุย มีความจำเป็นต้อง ปรับปรุงระบบจำหน่าย พาดสายไฟฟ้าแรงสูง วงจรใหม่บ้านบ่อผุด (ตามบันทึกของดจ่ายกระแสไฟฟ้าที่ มท.5305.87/กม 259/2556 ลว.4 มีค.56 จึงทำให้ผู้ใช้ไฟตั้งแต่สุพจน์การไฟฟ้าเก่า ถึง โรงแรมบันดารา (ดับเฉพาะฝั่งชายทะเล) โรงแรมลาวาน่่า โรงแรมพีช โรงแรมบ่อผุดรีสอร์ท แอนด์สปา ไม่มีกระแสไฟฟ้าใช้เป็นการชั่วคราว จึงแจ้งมาเพื่อโปรดทราบและขออภัยในความไม่สะดวกครั้งนี้ด้วย ขอบคุณครับ

Thanks for the update!

MSN-Emoticon-applause-004.gif.

Keep em coming!

R

i did not get a power cut now this is war

Power is finally back on (20.10) after this morning's storm.

10 hours - duh!

Do you know if someone hit something to cause the power cut or is it a case of Plai Laem baring the brunt of cuts again. I presume and would like to think it was the result of a traffic accident.

10 hours - duh!

Do you know if someone hit something to cause the power cut or is it a case of Plai Laem baring the brunt of cuts again. I presume and would like to think it was the result of a traffic accident.

Perhaps a transformer was hit by lightning or shorted somehow, only need a snake or tree to trip them. Public holiday, emergency crews only.

10 hours - duh!

Perhaps a transformer was hit by lightning or shorted somehow, only need a snake or tree to trip them. Public holiday, emergency crews only.

Yes for that length of time a transformer is likely. And i have to say not much fun for the poor blokes sent out to fix it!

10 hours - duh!

I suspect that the problem is our location. (At the end - on the pointy bit. Furthest away from the initial supply.)

In the past, when there has been a big storm - there are a lot of problems reported. So the guys start at the source and work their way along the wires. When they get to Bangrak/Choengmon - they forget about us. They go home assuming that everything is now fixed.

Meanwhie, we and the hotels have reported the problem at the beginning of the power cut and are told "we are working on it". It is only after a long time that someone out here calls and says '<deleted> is our electric' that they come back out again.

This has happened on more than one occasion to my knowledge.

I dont know about the rest of you but after december incident a generator was bought out of necessity. But only as looking ahead samui will have 3 main things next year and I have zero confidence in out electric supply.

1. New 220 room hotel from amari group. its before buri rasa

2. Central festival along with a centara / centra hotel 100 rooms plus.

3. A new 70 room hotel from movenpick in maenam.

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are two issues.

1 Enough power for the island

2 Infrastrucure to get that power to our houses.

The local government team have fixed #1. When the rest of the new cables are brought onto line - the island will have enough power for a while! 3 new hotels won't cause a problem - but eventually, we will need another cable!

#2 - this is NEVER going to be perfect!

By law - power cables have to be above ground. This is safer when there is flooding. (And we used to get a lot of flooding!)

As long as the cables are above ground - we will have power cuts. This is just plain physics. Storms, heavy rain (weight on branches), high winds (break branches) etc and power cables.

They are ALWAYS going to break. The local boys are usually quite good at fixing them.

Summary - #1 can be fixed. #2 can only be repaired.

Before some of us go off and start bitching about poor infrastructure - it's a dam sight better than it was say 5 years ago.

We have just had some big winds and a lot of rain. I did not see any 'real ' flooding after this lot. Sure - some areas flooded whilst the rain was falling, but after that - zilch.

Yes - power cuts - but with the exception of where I live - mostly fixed quite quickly!

However, I still reserve the right to be the first to complain when my power goes out again thumbsup.gif